- Volume 15 Issue 19
DOI QR Code
Prognostic Value of Caveolin-1 Expression in Gastric Cancer: a Meta-analysis
- Ye, Yang (Department of Preventive Medicine, School of Medicine, Jiangsu University) ;
- Miao, Shu-Han (Department of Health Care, the Fourth Affiliated Hospital of Jiangsu University) ;
- Lu, Rong-Zhu (Department of Preventive Medicine, School of Medicine, Jiangsu University) ;
- Zhou, Jian-Wei (Department of Molecular Cell Biology and Toxicology, Cancer Center, School of Public Health, Nanjing Medical University)
- Published : 2014.10.23
The relationship between caveolin-1 (Cav-1) and clinicopathological characteristics of gastric cancer is controversial, although Cav-1 plays an important role in tumor metastasis. To evaluate the clinicopathological and prognostic value of expression in patients with gastric cancer, a meta-analysis was performed to investigate the impact on clinicopathological parameters and prognosis in gastric cancer cases. Studies assessing these parameters for Cav-1 in gastric cancer were identified up to June 2014. Finally, a total of six studies met the inclusion criteria. Our combined results showed that Cav-1 expression was significantly associated with the Lauren classification (pooled OR=0.603, 95% CI: 0.381-0.953, P=0.030). Furthermore, we found that Cav-1 expression predicted a better overall survival in gastric cancer patients (pooled OR=0.590, 95% CI: 0.360-0.970, P=0.038, fixed-effect). In conclusion, the overall data of the present meta analysis showed that Cav-1 expression was not correlated with clinicopathological features except for the Lauren classification. Simultaneously, Cav-1 overexpression predicted a better overall survival in gastric cancer. Cav-1 expression in tumors is a candidate positive prognostic biomarker for gastric cancer patients.
Cav-1;gastric cancer;clinicopathological characteristics;prognosis
- Bulanov D (2007). Gastric cancer - current state of the problem. Part I. Epidemiology. Pathology. Classification. Staging. Khirurgiia, 48-59 (in Bulgarian).
- Anderson RG, Kamen BA, Rothberg KG, et al (1992). Potocytosis: sequestration and transport of small molecules by caveolae. Science, 255, 410-1. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1310359
- Barresi V, Giuffre G, Vitarelli E, et al (2008). Caveolin-1 immunoexpression in human gastric cancer: histopathogenetic hypotheses. Virchows Arch, 453, 571-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00428-008-0681-y
- Gao X, Sun Y, Huang L, et al (2005). Down-regulation of caveolin-1 in gastric carcinoma and its clinical biological significance. Ai Zheng, 24, 311-6 (in Chinese).
- Goetz JG, Lajoie P, Wiseman SM, et al (2008). Caveolin-1 in tumor progression: the good, the bad and the ugly. Cancer Metastasis Rev, 27, 715-35. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10555-008-9160-9
- He Y, Zhao X, Gao J, et al (2012). Quantum dots-based immunofluorescent imaging of stromal fibroblasts caveolin-1 and light chain 3B expression and identification of their clinical significance in human gastric cancer. Int J Mol Sci, 13, 13764-80. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms131113764
- Lee H, Volonte D, Galbiati F, et al (2000). Constitutive and growth factor-regulated phosphorylation of caveolin-1 occurs at the same site (Tyr-14) in vivo: identification of a c-Src/Cav-1/Grb7 signaling cassette. Mol Endocrinol, 14, 1750-75. https://doi.org/10.1210/mend.14.11.0553
- Li BR, Zhou GW, Bian Q, et al (2012). Lack of association between the hOGG1 Ser326Cys polymorphism and gastric cancer risk: a meta-analysis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1145-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.4.1145
- Nam KH, Lee BL, Park JH, et al (2013). Caveolin 1 expression correlates with poor prognosis and focal adhesion kinase expression in gastric cancer. Pathobiology, 80, 87-94. https://doi.org/10.1159/000341685
- Razani B, Engelman JA, Wang XB, et al (2001). Caveolin-1 null mice are viable but show evidence of hyperproliferative and vascular abnormalities. J Biol Chem, 276, 38121-38.
- Scherer PE, Lewis RY, Volonte D, et al (1997). Cell-type and tissue-specific expression of caveolin-2. Caveolins 1 and 2 co-localize and form a stable hetero-oligomeric complex in vivo. J Biol Chem, 272, 29337-46. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.272.46.29337
- Sotgia F, Martinez-Outschoorn UE, Howell A, et al (2012). Caveolin-1 and cancer metabolism in the tumor microenvironment: markers, models, and mechanisms. Annu Rev Pathol, 7, 423-67. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-pathol-011811-120856
- Sun GY, Wu JX, Wu JS, et al (2012). Caveolin-1, E-cadherin and beta-catenin in gastric carcinoma, precancerous tissues and chronic non-atrophic gastritis. Chin J Cancer Res, 24, 23-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11670-012-0023-0
- Syeed N, Hussain F, Husain SA, et al (2012). 5'-CpG island promoter hypermethylation of the CAV-1 gene in breast cancer patients of Kashmir. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 371-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.1.371
- Wiechen K, Diatchenko L, Agoulnik A, et al (2001). Caveolin-1 is down-regulated in human ovarian carcinoma and acts as a candidate tumor suppressor gene. Am J Pathol, 159, 1635-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9440(10)63010-6
- Williams TM, Lisanti MP (2005). Caveolin-1 in oncogenic transformation, cancer, and metastasis. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol, 288, 494-506.
- Zhao X, He Y, Gao J, et al (2013). Caveolin-1 expression level in cancer associated fibroblasts predicts outcome in gastric cancer. PLoS One, 8, 59102. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0059102
- Caveolin-1: An Oxidative Stress-Related Target for Cancer Prevention vol.2017, pp.1942-0994, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/7454031