- Volume 15 Issue 19
DOI QR Code
Could Clinical Pathways Improve the Quality of Care in Patients with Gastrointestinal Cancer? A Meta-analysis
- Song, Xu-Ping (School of Public Health, School of Basic Medical Sciences, Lanzhou University) ;
- Tian, Jin-Hui (Evidence-Based Medicine Center, School of Basic Medical Sciences, Lanzhou University) ;
- Cui, Qi (School of Public Health, School of Basic Medical Sciences, Lanzhou University) ;
- Zhang, Ting-Ting (Evidence-Based Medicine Center, School of Basic Medical Sciences, Lanzhou University) ;
- Yang, Ke-Hu (Evidence-Based Medicine Center, School of Basic Medical Sciences, Lanzhou University) ;
- Ding, Guo-Wu (School of Public Health, School of Basic Medical Sciences, Lanzhou University)
- 발행 : 2014.10.23
This meta-analysis was performed to assess the implementation effects of clinical pathways in patients with gastrointestinal cancer. A comprehensive search was conducted in the Cochrane Library, PubMed, EMBASE, Web of Science and Chinese Biomedical Literature Database (from inception to May 2014). Selection of studies, assessing risk of bias and extracting data were performed by two reviewers independently. Outcomes were analyzed by fixed-effects and random-effects model meta-analysis and reported as mean difference (MD), standardized mean difference (SMD) and odds ratio (OR) with 95% confidence intervals (CI). The Jadad methodological approach was used to assess the quality of included studies and the meta-analysis was conducted with RevMan 5.1 software. Nine citations (eight trials) involving 642 patients were included. The aggregate results showed that a shorter average length of stay [MD = -4.0; 95% CI (-5.1, -2.8); P < 0.00001] was observed with the clinical pathways as compared with the usual care. A reduction in inpatient expenditure [SMD = -1.5; 95% CI (-2.3, -0.7); P = 0.0001] was also associated with clinical pathways, along with higher patient satisfaction [OR = 4.9; 95% CI (2.2, 10.6); P < 0.0001]. Clinical pathways could improve the quality of care in patients with gastrointestinal cancer, as evidenced by a significant reduction in average length of stay, a decrease in inpatient expenditure and an improvement in patient satisfaction. Therefore, indicators and mechanisms within clinical pathways should be a focus in the future.
Clinical pathways;gastrointestinal cancer;length of stay;expenditure;satifaction
- Coffey RJ, Richards JS, Remmert CS, et al (1992). An introduction to critical paths. Quality Management in Healthcare, 1, 45-54. https://doi.org/10.1097/00019514-199223000-00008
- De Bleser L, Depreitere R, Waele KD, et al (2006). Defining pathways. J Nurs Manag, 14, 553-63. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2934.2006.00702.x
- De Luc K (2001). Developing care pathways - the handbook. Oxford: Radcliffe Medical Press Ltd.
- Harkleroad A, Schirf D, Volpe J, et al (2000). Critical pathway development: an integrative literature review. Am J Occup Ther, 54, 148-54. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.54.2.148
- Deng YH, Wang Z, Ma L, et al (2010). The meaning of executing the clinical pathway and current application situation. Progress in Modern Biomedicine, 10, 1756-9.
- El Baz N, Middel B, Van Dijk JP, et al (2007). Are the outcomes of clinical pathways evidence-based? A critical appraisal of clinical pathway evaluation research. J Eval Clin Pract, 13, 920-9.
- Every NR, Hochman J, Becker R, et al (2000). Critical pathways: a review. Circulation, 101, 461-5. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.101.4.461
- Higgins JPT, Green S, editors. Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions [Internet]; version 5.1.0, [updated March 2011; cited 2014 May 9]. Available from: http://handbook.cochrane.org.
- Hu GH, Chen L, Lu ZH, et al (2004). Application of clinical pathway of chemotherapy to patients with gastrointestinal cancer. Acta Academiae Medicinae Jiangxi, 44, 68-70.
- International Agency for Research on Cancer [Internet]. Globocan 2008 fact sheet [cited 2014 May 9]. Available from: http://globocan.iarc.fr/factsheets/populations/factsheet.asp?uno=900.
- Ishiguro S, Yamamoto S, Fujita S, et al (2008). Effect of a clinical pathway after laparoscopic surgery for colorectal cancer. Hepatogastroenterology, 55, 1315-9.
- Jadad AR, Moore RA, Carroll D, et al (1996). Assessing the quality of reports of randomized clinical trials: is blinding necessary? Control Clin Trials, 17, 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/0197-2456(95)00134-4
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Jiang DM, Wang SH, Zhang QJ, et al (2003). Application of the clinical pathway on patients with gastric and colon cancer. China J Modern Medicine, 13, 59,60,64.
- Lemmens L, Van Zelm R, Vanhaecht K, et al (2008). Systematic review: indicators to evaluate effectiveness of clinical pathways for gastrointestinal surgery. J Eval Clin Pract, 14, 880-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2753.2008.01079.x
- Jiang DM, Wang SH, Zhang QJ, et al (2004). Application of comprehensively clinical pathway on patients with one kind of disease. Modern Nursing, 10, 1079-81.
- Kinsman L, Rotter T, James E, et al (2010). What is a clinical pathway? Development of a definition to inform the debate. BMC Med, 8, 31. https://doi.org/10.1186/1741-7015-8-31
- Kiyama T, Tajiri T, Yoshiyuki T, et al (2003). Clinical significance of a standardized clinical pathway in gastrectomy patients. J Nippon Med Sch, 70, 263-9. https://doi.org/10.1272/jnms.70.263
- Li XL (2012). The implementation effect of clinical pathway in the preoperative care of oesophagus cancer. Medical Frontier, 160.
- Liang ZX, Ma QH, Chen H (2008). Study on the application of clinical pathway in sphincter-saving surgery of lower position rectal carcinoma. Int J Nurs, 27, 828-30.
- Mathers CD, Fat DM, Boerma JT (2008). The global burden of disease: 2004 update. World Health Organization.
- Ministry of Health of the People's Republic of China [Internet]. Notice on clinical pathway issued by the Office of the Ministry of Health. [cited 2014 Jun 9]. Available from: http://www.moh.gov.cn/zhuzhan/.
- Pearson SD, Goulart-fisher D, Lee TH (1995). Critical pathways as a strategy for improving care: problems and potential. Ann Intern Med, 123, 941-8. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-123-12-199512150-00008
- Rotter T, Kinsman L, James E, et al (2012). Clinical pathways: effects on professional practice, patient outcomes, length of stay and hospital costs. Eval Health Prof, 35, 3-27. https://doi.org/10.1177/0163278711407313
- Rotter T, Kugler J, Koch R, et al (2008). A systematic review and meta-analysis of the effects of clinical pathways on length of stay, hospital costs and patient outcomes. BMC Health Serv Res, 8, 265. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6963-8-265
- Tian GR (2011). The application effect of the clinical pathway in the preoperative care of oesophagus cancer patients. International J Nurs, 30, 497-9.
- Saint S, Hofer TP, Rose JS, et al (2003). Use of critical pathways to improve efficiency: a cautionary tale. Am J Manag Care, 9, 758-65.
- Schulz KF, Chalmers I, Hayes RJ, et al (1995). Empirical evidence of bias. dimensions of methodological quality associated with estimates of treatment effects in controlled trials. JAMA, 273, 408-12. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1995.03520290060030
- So JB, Lim ZL, Lin HA, et al (2008). Reduction of hospital stay and cost after the implementation of a clinical pathway for radical gastrectomy for gastric cancer. Gastric Cancer, 11, 81-5. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10120-008-0458-7
- Vanhaecht K, Bollmann M, Bower K, et al (2006). Prevalence and use of clinical pathways in 23 countries-an international survey by the European pathway Association. Journal of Integrated Care Pathways, 10, 28-34. https://doi.org/10.1258/j.jicp.2006.124
- Wang SH, Jiang DM, OYang ZT, et al (2004). The effects of clinical pathway implemented in patients with gastric cancer. Zhonghua Hu Li Za Zhi, 39, 515-6.
- Wo JY, Hong TS, Kachnic LA (2012). Impact of age and comorbidities on the treatment of gastrointestinal malignancies. Semin Radiat Oncol, 22, 311-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.semradonc.2012.05.008
- Xiong Y (2010). Effects of clinical pathway used in patients with gastric cancer. Chinese and Foreign Medical Research, 8, 32-3.
- Yamamoto S (2001). Stomach cancer incidence in the world. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 31, 471. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/31.9.471
- Zander K et al (2002). Integrated care pathways: eleven international trends. J Integrated Care Pathways, 6, 101-7.
- Zhu L, Li J, Li XK, Feng JQ, Gao JM (2014). Impact of a clinical pathway on hospital costs, length of stay and early outcomes after hepatectomy for hepatocellular carcinoma. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 5389-93. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.13.5389
- Variation in care for surgical patients with colorectal cancer: protocol adherence in 12 European hospitals vol.32, pp.10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00384-017-2863-z
- Development of a model care pathway for adults undergoing colorectal cancer surgery: Evidence-based key interventions and indicators pp.13561294, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/jep.12700
- Protocol for process evaluation of evidence-based care pathways pp.1744-1609, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1097/XEB.0000000000000149