- Volume 15 Issue 19
DOI QR Code
Relation of Serum Adiponectin Levels and Obesity with Breast Cancer: A Japanese Case-Control Study
- Minatoya, Machiko ;
- Kutomi, Goro ;
- Shima, Hiroaki ;
- Asakura, Sumiyo ;
- Otokozawa, Seiko ;
- Ohnishi, Hirofumi ;
- Akasaka, Hiroshi ;
- Miura, Tetsuji ;
- Mori, Mitsuru ;
- Hirata, Koichi
- Published : 2014.10.23
Background: It is known that obesity is one of the risk factors for breast cancer although the association may differ between ethnic groups and with the menopausal status. Recently obesity-related risk factors including serum adiponectin and insulin levels have been analyzed together with BMI in association with breast cancer risk. Materials and Methods: We measured serum high molecular weight (HMW) adiponectin and insulin levels in a hospital based case-control study, including 66 sets of Japanese female breast cancer cases and age and menopausal status matched controls. Serum levels of HMW adiponectin, insulin levels and body mass index (BMI) were examined in association with breast cancer risk with adjustment for the various known risk factors by menopausal status. Results: Women in the highest HMW adiponectin levels showed significant reduced risk of breast cancer in both pre and postmenopausal women (odds ratio (OR), 0.01; 95% confidence interval (CI), 0.00-0.26 and 0.13; 0.03-0.57, respectively). Lower BMI showed decreased breast cancer risk in both pre and postmenopausal women (OR, 0.04; 95% CI, 0.00-0.69, OR, 0.28; 95% CI, 0.07-1.11, respectively). Conclusions: These results indicated that higher serum HMW adiponectin levels and lower BMI are associated with a decreased breast cancer risk in both pre and postmenopausal women in Japan, adding evidence for the obesity link.
Breast cancer;adiponectin;obesity;ethnicity;menopausal status;Japanese women
- Berstad P, Coates RJ, Bernstein L, et al (2010). A case-control study of body mass index and breast cancer risk in white and African-American women. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 19, 1532-44. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-10-0025
- Amadou A, Ferrari P, Muwonge R, et al (2013). Overweight, obesity and risk of premenopausal breast cancer according to ethnicity: a systematic review and dose-response metaanalysis. Obesity Reviews, 14, 665-78. https://doi.org/10.1111/obr.12028
- Arita Y, Kihara S, Ouchi N, et al (1999). Paradoxical decrease of an adipose-specific protein, adiponectin, in obesity. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 257, 79-83. https://doi.org/10.1006/bbrc.1999.0255
- Barb D, Williams CJ, Neuwirth AK, Mantzoros CS (2007). Adiponectinin relation to malignancies: a review of existing basic research and clinical evidence. Am J Clin Nutr, 86, 858-66.
- Bruning PF, Bonfrer JM, van Noord PA, et al (1992). Insulin resistance and breast-cancer risk. Int J Cancer, 52, 511-16. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.2910520402
- Calle EE, Kaaks R (2004). Overweight, obesity and cancer: epidemiological evidence and proposed mechanisms. Nat Rev Cancer, 4, 579-91. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc1408
- Chen DC, Chung YF, Yeh YT, et al (2006). Serum adiponectin and leptin levels in Taiwanese breast cancer patients. Cancer Lett, 237, 109-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2005.05.047
- Chen X, Wang Y (2011). Adiponectin and breast cancer. Med Oncol, 28, 1288-95. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-010-9617-x
- Cheraghi Z, Poorolajal J, Hashem T, Esmailnasab N, Doosti Irani IA (2012). Effect of body mass index on breast cancer during premenopausal and postmenopausal periods: a metaanalysis. PLoS One, 7, 51446. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0051446
- Dai Q, Gao YT, Shu XO, et al (2009). Oxidative stress, obesity, and breast cancer risk: results from the Shanghai Women's Health Study. J Clin Oncol, 27, 2482-8. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2008.19.7970
- Gavrila A, Chan JL, Yiannakouris N, et al (2003). Serum adiponectin levels are inversely associated with overall and central fat distribution but are not directly regulated by acute fasting or leptin administration in humans: cross-sectional and interventional studies. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 88, 4823-31. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2003-030214
- Dalamaga M, Diakopoulos KN, Mantzoros CS (2012). The role of adiponectin in cancer: a review of current evidence. Endocr Rev, 33, 547-94. https://doi.org/10.1210/er.2011-1015
- Dalamaga M (2013). Obesity, insulin resistance, adipocytokines and breast cancer: New biomarkers and attractive therapeutic targets. World J Exp Med, 3, 34-42.
- Del Goudice ME, Fantus IG, Ezzxat S, et al (1998). Insulin and related factors in premenopausal breast cancer risk. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 47, 111-120. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1005831013718
- Grossmann ME, Ray A, Dogan S, Mizuno NK, Cleary MP (2008). Balance of adiponectin and leptin modulates breast cancer cell growth. Cell Research, 18, 1154-56. https://doi.org/10.1038/cr.2008.293
- Grossmann ME, Ray A, Nkhata KJ, et al (2010). Obesity and breast cancer: status of leptin and adiponectin in pathological processes. Cancer Metastasis Rev, 29, 641-53. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10555-010-9252-1
- Gulceli MA, Colakoglu K, Dincer H, et al (2012). Association between adiponectin and two different cancers: breast and colon. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 395-98. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.1.395
- Harris HR, Willett WC, Terry KL, Michels KB (2011). Body fat distribution and risk of premenopausal breast cancer in the Nurses' Health Study II. J Natl Cancer Inst, 103, 273-78. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djq500
- Harvie M, Hooper L, Howell AH (2003). Central obesity and breast cancer risk: a systematic review. Obes Rev, 4, 157-73. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1467-789X.2003.00108.x
- Hu E, Liang P, Spiegelman BM (1996). AdipoQ is a novel adipose-specific gene dysregulated in obesity. J Chiol Chem, 271, 10697-703.
- Kang JH, Yu BY, Young DS (2007). Relationship of serum adiponectin and resistin levels with breast cancer risk. J Korean Med Sci, 22, 117-21. https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2007.22.1.117
- Iwasaki M, Otani T, Inoue M, Sasazuki S, Tsugane S (2007). Body size and risk for breast cancer in relation to estrogen and progesterone receptor status in Japan. Ann Epidemiol, 17, 304-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annepidem.2006.09.003
- Jernstrom H, Barrett-Connor E (1999). Obesity, weight change, fasting insulin, proinsulin, C-peptide, and insulin-like growth factor-1 levels in women with and without breast cancer: the rancho bernardo study. J Wom Health Gend Bas Med, 8, 1265-72. https://doi.org/10.1089/jwh.1.1999.8.1265
- Kang JH, Lee YY, Yu BY, et al (2005). Adiponectin induces growth arrest and apoptosis of MDA-MB-231 breast cancer cell. Arch Pharm Res, 28, 1263-69. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02978210
- Karimi N, Roshan VD (2013). Change in adiponectin and oxidative stress after modifiable lifestyle intervention in breast cancer cases. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2845-50. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.5.2845
- Karistad O, Starup-Linde J, Vestergaard P, et al (2013). Use of insulin and insulin analogs and risk of cancer - systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies. Curr Drug Saf, 8, 333-48. https://doi.org/10.2174/15680266113136660067
- Kawai M, Minami Y, Kuriyama S, et al (2010). Adiposity, adult weight change and breast cancer risk in postmenopausal Japanese women: the Miyagi cohort study. Br J Cancer, 103, 1443-47. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6605885
- Key TJ, Appleby PN, Reeves GK, Roddam AW (2010). Insulinlike growth factor 1 (IGF1), IGF binding protein 3 (IGFBP3), and breast cancer risk: pooled individual data analysis of 17 prospective studies. Lancet Oncol, 11, 530-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(10)70095-4
- Kiddy DS, Sharp PS, White DM, et al (1990). Differences in clinical and endocrine features between obese and non-obese subjects with polycystic ovary syndrome: an analysis of 263 consecutive cases. Clin Endocrin, 32, 213-20. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2265.1990.tb00857.x
- Liu LY, Wang M, Ma ZB, et al (2013). The Role of Adiponectin in Breast Cancer: A Meta-Analysis. PLoS One, 8, 73183. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0073183
- Kim AY, Lee YS, Kim KH, et al (2010). Adiponectin represses colon cancer cell proliferation via AdipoR1- and -R2- mediated AMPK activation. Mol Endocrinol, 24, 1441-52. https://doi.org/10.1210/me.2009-0498
- Kuriyama S, Tsubono Y, Hozawa A, et al (2005). Obesity and risk of cancer in Japan. Int J Cancer, 113, 148-57. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.20529
- Lahmann PH, Schulz M, Hoffmann K, et al (2005). Longterm weight change and breast cancer risk: the European prospective investigation into cancer and nutrition (EP- IC). Br J Cancer, 93, 582-89. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6602763
- Lukanova A, Bjor O, Kaaks R, et al (2006). Body mass index and cancer: results from the Northern Sweden Health and Disease Cohort. Int J Cancer, 118, 458-66. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.21354
- Mantzoros CS, Flier JS (1995). Insulin resistance: the clinical spectrum. Adv Endocrinol Metab, 6, 193-232.
- Mantzoros C, Petridou E, Dessypris N, et al (2004). Adiponectin and breast cancer risk. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 89, 1102-07. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2003-031804
- Mathew A, Gajalakshmi V, Rajan B, et al (2008). Anthropometric factors and breast cancer risk among urban and rural women in South India: a multicentric case-control study. Br J Cancer, 99, 207-13. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6604423
- Minatoya M, Kutomi G, Asakura S, et al (2013). Equol, adiponectin, insulin levels and risk of breast cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2191-99. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.4.2191
- Minatoya M, Kutomi G, Asakura S, et al (2013). Relationship of serum isoflavone, insulin and adiponectin levels with breast cancer risk. Breast Cancer, Oct 2013.
- Nakano Y, Tobe T, Choi-Miura NH, Mazda T, Tomita M (1996). Isolation and characterization of GBP28, a novel gelatinbinding protein purified from human plasma. J Biochem, 120, 803-12. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.jbchem.a021483
- Mink PJ, Shahar E, Rosamond WD, Alberg AJ, Folsom AR (2002). Serum insulin and glucose levels and breast cancer incidence: the atherosclerosis risk in communities study. Am J Epidemiol, 156, 349-68. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwf050
- Miyoshi Y, Funahashi T, Kihara S, et al (2003). Association of serum adiponectin levels with breast cancer risk. Clin Cancer Res, 9, 5699-704.
- Muti P, Quattrin T, Grant BJB, et al (2002). Fasting glucose is a risk factor for breast cancer: a prospective study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomark Prev, 11, 1361-68.
- Pajvani UB, Du X, Combs TP, et al (2003). Structure-function studies of the adipocyte-secreted hormone Acrp30/ adiponectin. Implications for metabolic regulation and bioactivity. J Biol Chem, 278, 9073-85. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M207198200
- Pajvani UB, Hawkins M, Combs TP, et al (2004). Complex distribution, not absolute amount of adiponectin, correlates with thiazolidinedione-mediated improvement in insulin sensitivity. J Biol Chem, 279, 12152-62. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M311113200
- Pandey S, Pandey S, Maheshwari A, Bhattacharya S (2010). The impact of female obesity on the outcome of fertility treatment. J Hum Reprod Sci, 3, 62-7. https://doi.org/10.4103/0974-1208.69332
- Prentice RL, Caan B, Chlebowski RT, et al (2006). Low-fat dietary pattern and risk of invasive breast cancer: the Women's Health Initiative Randomized Controlled Dietary Modification Trial. JAMA, 295, 629-42. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.295.6.629
- Renehan AG, Tyson M, Egger M, Heller RF, Zwahlen M (2008). Body-mass index and incidence of cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective observational studies. The Lancet, 371, 569-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(08)60269-X
- Rush EC, Freitas I, Plank LD (2009). Body size, body composition and fat distribution: comparative analysis of European, Maori, Pacific Island and Asian Indian adults. Br J Nutr, 102, 632-41. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114508207221
- Renehan AG, Roberts DL, Dive C (2008). Obesity and cancer: pathophysiological and biological mechanisms. Arch Physiol Biochem, 114, 71-83. https://doi.org/10.1080/13813450801954303
- Rose DP, Komninou D, Stephensen GD (2004). Obesity, adipocytokines, and insulin resistance in breast cancer. Obes Rev, 5, 153-65. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-789X.2004.00142.x
- Rose DP, Vona-Davis L (2010). Interaction between menopausal status and obesity in affecting breast cancer risk. Maturitas, 66, 33-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.maturitas.2010.01.019
- Sarkissyan M, Wu Y, Vadgama JV (2011). Obesity is associated with breast cancer in African-American women but not Hispanic women in South Los Angeles. Cancer, 117, 3814-23. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.25956
- Schairer C, Hill D, Sturgeon SR, et al (2004). Serum concentrations of IGF-I, IGFBP-3 and c-peptide and risk of hyperplasia and cancer of the breast in postmenopausal women. Int J Cancer, 108, 773-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.11624
- Shahar S, Saller RM, Ghazali AR, Koon PB, Mohamud WN (2010). Roles of adiposity, lifetime physical activity and serum adiponectin in occurrence of breast cancer among Malaysian women in Klang Valley. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 61-66.
- Tehard B, Clavel-Chapelon F (2006). Several anthropometric measurements and breast cancer risk: results of the E3N cohort study. Int J of Obes (Lond), 30, 156-63. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0803133
- Toniolo P, Bruning PF, Akhmedkhanov A, et al (2000). Serum insulin-like growth factor-I and breast cancer. Int J Cancer, 8, 828-32.
- Travis RC, Key TJ (2003). Oestrogen exposure and breast cancer risk. Breast Cancer Res, 5, 239-47. https://doi.org/10.1186/bcr628
- Trujillo ME, Scherer PE (2005). Adiponectin-journey from an adipocyte secretory protein to biomarker of the metabolic syndrome. J Intern Med, 257, 167-75. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2796.2004.01426.x
- Verkasalo PK, Thomas HV, Appleby PN, Davey GK, Key TJ (2001). Circulating levels of sex hormones and their relation to risk factors for breast cancer: a cross-sectional study in 1092 pre- and postmenopausal women (United Kingdom). Cancer Causes Control, 12, 47-59. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008929714862
- Wada K, Nagata C, Tamakoshi A, et al (2014). Body mass index and breast cancer risk in Japan: a pooled analysis of eight population-based cohort studies. Ann Oncol, 25, 519-24. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdt542
- Wenten M, Gilliland FD, Baumgartner K, Samet JM (2002). Associations of weight, weight change, and body mass with breast cancer risk in Hispanic and non-Hispanic white women. Ann Epidemiol, 12, 435-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1047-2797(01)00293-9
- Wu MH, Chou YC, Yu JC, et al (2006). Hormonal and body-size factors in relation to breast cancer risk: a prospective study of 11,889 women in a low-incidence area. Ann Epidemiol, 16, 223-29.
- Yang WS, Lee WJ, Funahashi T, et al (2002). Plasma adiponectin levels in overweight and obese Asians. Obes Res, 10, 1104-10. https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2002.150
- No Increase in Breast Cancer Risk in Japanese Women Taking Oral Contraceptives: a Case-Control Study Investigating Reproductive, Menstrual and Familial Risk Factors for Breast Cancer vol.16, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.9.3685
- Association of plasma adiponectin and leptin levels with the development and progression of ovarian cancer vol.59, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5468/ogs.2016.59.4.279
- Association of serum adiponectin with breast cancer vol.98, pp.6, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000014359
Supported by : Ministry of Education, Science, Sports and Culture of Japan