- Volume 15 Issue 19
DOI QR Code
Practical Use of Cancer Control Promoters in Municipalities in Japan
- Yako-Suketomo, Hiroko (Faculty of Sports and Health Sciences, Japan Women's College of Physical Education) ;
- Katanoda, Kota (Center for Cancer Control and Information Services, National Cancer Center) ;
- Sobue, Tomotaka (Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka University) ;
- Imai, Hirohisa (National Institute of Public Health)
- 발행 : 2014.10.23
The Cancer Control Act in Japan became effective in 2006. In Ibaraki, Toyama, and Hyogo prefectures, the Cancer Control Promoter (CCP) plan was created to strengthen partnerships for cancer prevention. This study aimed to examine the curre nt status of CCP utilization and analyze relationships with intersectoral collaboration, both within the government and with outside partners. In 2008, we mailed questionnaires to 100 administrators responsible for disease prevention and health promotion in municipal governments of the three prefectures. Ninety-one administrators responded (response rate, 91.0%). We analyzed responses to questions regarding whether or not the municipalities had used CCPs. Items assessing intersectoral collaboration examined municipality characteristics and relationships with outside partners and sectors specializing in areas other than community health. Among 90 administrators with valid data, 33 municipalities (36.7%) used CCPs while 57 (63.3%) did not. The Fisher's exact test revealed that intersectoral collaboration for using CCPs was associated with communication with all of the municipal government sectors not related to health. The present study indicated that CCPs were not consistently used in municipalities. However, we found that intersectoral collaborations, especially within the local government, may be related to the practical use of CCPs. This, in turn, may result in effective cancer control and prevention, as well as improvement in community health.
- Bautista VA (1995). Status report on primary health care (1987-1993). Philipp J Public Adm, 39, 179-200.
- Cornell CE, Littleton MA, Greene PG, et al (2009). A Community Health Advisor Program to reduce cardiovascular risk among rural African-American women. Health Educ Res, 24, 622-33. https://doi.org/10.1093/her/cyn063
- Epidemiology and Prevention Division, Research Center for Prevention and Screening, National Cancer Center (2010). Development and evaluation of cancer prevention strategies in Japan. http://epi.ncc.go.jp/en/can_prev/cancer_prevention/can_prev/ (last accessed 18 June 2014).
- Hawe P, King L, Noort M, et al (1998). Working invisibly: health workers talk about capacity building in health promotion. Health Promot Int, 13, 285-95. https://doi.org/10.1093/heapro/13.4.285
- Faridi Z, Shuval K, Njike VY, et al (2010). Partners reducing effects of diabetes (PREDICT): a diabetes prevention physical activity and dietary intervention through African-American churches. Health Educ Res, 25, 306-15. https://doi.org/10.1093/her/cyp005
- Freiler A, Muntaner C, Shankardass K, Mah LC, Molnar A, Renahy E, O'Campo P (2013). Glossary for the implementation of Health in All Policies (HiAP). J Epidemiol Community Health, 67, 1068-72. https://doi.org/10.1136/jech-2013-202731
- Germann K and Wilson D (2004). Organizational capacity for community development in regional health authorities: a conceptual model. Health Promot Int, 19, 289-98. https://doi.org/10.1093/heapro/dah303
- Hinton A, Downey J, Lisovicz N, et al (2005). The community health advisor program and the deep South network for cancer control. Fam Community Health, 28, 20-7. https://doi.org/10.1097/00003727-200501000-00005
- Holt CL, Wynn TA, Southward P, et al (2009). Development of a spiritually based educational intervention to increase informed decision making for prostate cancer screening among church-attending African American men. J Health Commun, 14, 590-604. https://doi.org/10.1080/10810730903120534
- Inoue M, Iwasaki M, Otani T, et al (2006). Public awareness of risk factors for cancer among the Japanese general population: A population-based survey. BMC Public Health, 6, 2. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-6-2
- Kamproh S and Fungpong S (2008). Effects of breast selfexamination (BSE) program for detection early stage of breast cancer. J Med Assoc Thai, 91, 147-51.
- Kauffman KS and Myers DH (1997). The changing role of village health volunteers in northeast Thailand: an ethnographic field study. Int J Nurs Stud, 34, 249-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7489(97)00012-6
- Kickbusch I and Szabo CMM (2014). A new governance space for health. Glob Health Action, 7, 1-10.
- Lariosa TR (1992). The role of community health workers in malaria control in the Philippines. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health, 23, 30-5.
- Kickbusch I and Buckett K (2010). Implementing Health in All Policies: Adelaide 2010. Department of Health, Government of South Australia, South Australia.
- Kreuter EM, Lezin AN, Young L, et al (2001). Social capital: evaluation implications for community health promotion. In 'Evaluation in Health Promotion: Principles and Perspectives', Eds Rootman I. WHO Reg Publ Eur Ser, 439-62.
- Lacuesta MC, Sarangani ST and Amoyen ND (1993). A diagnostic study of the DOH health volunteer workers program. Philipp Popul J, 9, 26-36.
- Lisovicz N, Johnson RE, Higginbotham J, et al (2006). The Deep South Network for cancer control: Building a community infrastructure to reduce cancer health disparities. Cancer, 107, 1971-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.22151
- Littleton MA, Cornell CE, Dignan M, et al (2002). Lessons learned from the Uniontown Community Health Project. Am J Health Behav, 26, 34-42. https://doi.org/10.5993/AJHB.26.1.4
- Matsuda A, Matsuda T, Shibata A, et al (2013). The Japan Cancer Surveillance Research Group. Cancer incidence and incidence rates in Japan in 2008: A study of 25 populationbased cancer registries for the Monitoring of Cancer Incidence in Japan (MCIJ) Project. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 44, 388-96.
- Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (2013). Vital Statistics of Japan.
- Moore MA, Sobue T (2009). Cancer research and control activities in Japan: contributions to international efforts. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 183-200.
- Navarro AM, Raman R, McNicholas LJ, et al (2007). Diffusion of cancer education information through a Latino community health advisor program. Prev Med, 45, 135-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2007.05.017
- Sano H, Goto R, Hamashima C (2014). What is the most effective strategy for improving the cancer screening rate in Japan? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2607-12. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2607
- Phomborphub B, Pungrassami P, Boonkitjaroen T (2008). Village health volunteer participation in tuberculosis control in southern Thailand. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health, 39, 542-8.
- Phoolcharoen W, Sukkumnoed D and Kessomboon P (2003). Development of health impact assessment in Thailand: recent experiences and challenges. Bull World Health Organ, 81, 465-7.
- Raczynski JM, Cornell CE, Stalker V, et al (2001). Developing community capacity and improving health in African American communities. Am J Med Sci, 322, 269-75.
- Vera EV and Monzon RB (1995). An assessment of Barangay health midwives' knowledge regarding tuberculosis case finding and treatment procedures in urban health centers of metropolitan Manila, Philippines. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health, 26, 648-54.
- World Cancer Research Fund and American Institute for Cancer Research (2007). Food, nutrition, physical activity, and the prevention of cancer: a global perspective. The second expert report. World Cancer Research Fund International, Washington DC.
- World Health Organization (1986). Ottawa Charter for Health Promotion.
- World Health Organization (1988). Adelaide Recommendation on Healthy Public Policy.
- World Health Organization (1997). Jakarta declaration on leading health promotion into the twenty-first century.
- World Health Organization (2005). The Bangkok Charter for health promotion in a globalized world.
- World Health Organization (2014). Health Impact Assessment (HIA). http://www.who.int/hia/en/ (last accessed 18 June 2014).