- Volume 15 Issue 19
DOI QR Code
Prognostic Significance of Expression of CD133 and Ki-67 in Gastric Cancer
- Saricanbaz, Irem (Department of Radiation Oncology, Konya Training and Research Hospital) ;
- Karahacioglu, Eray (Department of Radiation Oncology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Gazi) ;
- Ekinci, Ozgur (Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Gazi) ;
- Bora, Huseyin (Department of Radiation Oncology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Gazi) ;
- Kilic, Diclehan (Department of Radiation Oncology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Gazi) ;
- Akmansu, Muge (Department of Radiation Oncology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Gazi)
- Published : 2014.10.23
CD133 is one of the most important stem cell markers in solid cancers and Ki-67 is a marker that reflects cell proliferation. The relationships between the expression of CD133 and Ki-67 and prognosis in gastric carcinoma are unknown and need exploring. We examined 50 gastric cancer patients retrospectively in the Radiation Oncology Department of the Faculty of Medicine, Gazi University. CD133 and Ki-67 expression was examined using immunohistochemical staining. The survival rate in patients with CD133 positive expression was significantly worse than that in the patients with negative expression (p=0.04). Expression of CD133 had a positive correlation with that of Ki-67 (r=0.350; p=0.014). Multivariate analysis revealed that the expression of CD133 was an independent prognostic factor in gastric cancer (p=0.02). Conclusion, expression of CD133 may be a useful prognostic marker in gastric cancer.
CD133;Ki-67;gastric cancer;cancer stem cell;prognosis
- Collins AT, Berry PA, Hyde C, Stower MJ, Maitland NJ (2005). Prospective identification of tumorigenic prostate cancer stem cells. Cancer Res, 65, 10946-51. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-05-2018
- Al Hajj M (2007). Cancer stem cells and oncology therapeutics. Curr Opin Oncol, 19, 61-4.
- Arciero CA (2010). Ki-67 proliferation index and gastric cancer: Answers or More Questions. J Surg Onco, 102, 199-200. https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.21626
- Baba T, Convery P, Matsumura N, et al (2009). Epigenetic regulation of CD133 and tumorigenicity of CD133+ ovarian cancer cells. Oncogene, 28, 209-18. https://doi.org/10.1038/onc.2008.374
- Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Ervik M, et al (2013). GLOBOCAN 2012 v1.0, Cancer incidence and Mortality worldwide: IARC Cancer Base No.11 (Internet). Web address: http://globocan.iarc.fr
- Hashimato K, Aoyagi K, Isobe T, Kouhuji K, Shirouzu K (2014). Expression of CD133 in the cytoplasm is associated with cancer progression and poor prognosis in gastric cancer. Gastric Cancer, 17, 97-106. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10120-013-0255-9
- He WL, Li YH, Yang DJ, et al (2013). Combined evaluation of centromere protein H and Ki-67 as prognostic biomarker for patient with gastric carcinoma. Eur J Surg Oncol, 39, 141-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejso.2012.08.023
- Horst D, Kriegl L, Engel J, Kirchner T, Jung A (2008). CD133 expression is an independent prognostic marker for low survival in colorectal cancer. Br J Cancer, 99, 1285-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6604664
- Ishigami S, Uenu S, Arigami T, et al (2010). Prognostic impact of CD133 expression in gastric carcinoma. Anticancer Res, 30, 2453-7.
- Jiang Y, He Y, Li H et al (2012). Expressions of putative cancer stem cell markers ABCB1, ABCG2, and CD133 are correlated with the degree of differentiation of gastric cancer. Gastric Cancer, 15, 440-50. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10120-012-0140-y
- Jordan CT, Guzman ML, Noble M (2006). Cancer stem cells. N Engl J Med, 355, 1253-61. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra061808
- Maeda S, Shinchi H, Kurahara H, et al (2008). CD133 expression is correlated with lymph node metastasis and vascular endothelial growth factor-C expression in pancreatic cancer. Br J Cancer, 98, 1389-97. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6604307
- Lazar D, Taban S, Sporea I et al (2010). Ki-67 expression in gastric cancer. Results from a prospective study with longterm follow-up. Rom J Morphol Embryol, 51, 655-61.
- Lee HE, Kim MA, Lee BL, Kim WH (2010). Low Ki-67 proliferation index is an indicator of poor prognosis in gastric cancer. J Surg Oncol, 102, 201-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.21583
- Lee HH, Seo KJ, An CH, Kim JS, Jeon HM (2012). CD133 expression is correlated with chemoresistance and early recurrence of gastric cancer. J Surg Oncol, 106, 999-1004. https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.23178
- Li C, Heidt DG, Dalerba P, et al (2007). Identification of pancreatic cancer stem cells. Cancer Res, 67, 1030-7. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-06-2030
- Neuzil J, Stantic M, Zobalova R, et al (2007). Tumour-initiating cellsvs. cancer 'stem' cells and CD133: what' s the name? Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 355, 855-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrc.2007.01.159
- O' Brien CA, Kreso A, Dick JE (2009). Cancer stem cells in solid tumors: An Overview. Seminars Rad Oncology, 19, 71-7.
- Reya T, Morrison SJ, Clarke MF, Weissman IL (2001). Stem cells, cancer, and cancer stem cells. Nature, 414, 105-11. https://doi.org/10.1038/35102167
- Ross W, Hall PA (1995). Ki67: from antibody to molecule to understanding? J Clin Pathol: Mol Pathol, 48, 113-7. https://doi.org/10.1136/mp.48.3.M113
- Sanaat Z, Halimi M, Ghojezadeh M, et al (2013). Immunohistochemical analysis of p53, Ki-67, CD44, HER-2/neu expression patterns in gastric cancer, and their associatin with one year survival in North-West of Iran. Int J Hematol Oncol Stem Cell Res, 7, 15-20.
- Smith LM, Nestevora A, Ryan MC, et al (2008). CD133/prominin-1 is a potential therapeutic target for antibodydrug conjugates in hepatocellular and gastric cancers. Br J Cancer, 99, 100-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6604437
- Satpute PS, Hazarey V, Ahmed R, Yadav L (2013). Cancer stem cells in head and neck squmous cell carcinoma: a review. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5579-87. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.10.5579
- Scholzen T, Gerdes J (2000). The Ki-67 protein: From the known and the unknown. J Cell Physiol, 182, 311-22. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4652(200003)182:3<311::AID-JCP1>3.0.CO;2-9
- Setoguchi T, Taga T, Kondo T (2004). Cancer stem cells persist in many cancer cell lines. Cell Cycle, 3, 414-5. https://doi.org/10.4161/cc.3.4.799
- Tabarestani S, Ghafouri-Fard S (2012). Cancer stem cells and response to therapy. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5947-54. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.12.5947
- Tang C, Ang BT, Pervaiz S (2007). Cancer stem cell: target for anti-cancer therapy. FASEB J, 21, 3777-85. https://doi.org/10.1096/fj.07-8560rev
- Turkish Public Health Organization (2009). Web address: http://kanser.gov.tr/daire-faaliyetleri/kanser-istatistikleri.html
- Yang X, Wang F, Chen C, et al (2011). High Ki-67 expression is a poor prognostic indicator of 5-year survival in patients with invasive breast cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 3101-4.
- Yao Q, Sun J, Ma H, et al (2014) Monitoring microRNAs using a molecular beacon in CD133+/CD338+ human lung adenocarcinoma-initiating A549 cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 161-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.1.161
- Yu JW, Zhang P, Wu JG, et al (2010). Expressions and clinical significances of CD133 protein and CD133 mRNA in primary lesion of gastric adenocarcinoma. J of Experimental and Clinic Cancer Resarch, 7, 29-141.
- Yu JW, Wang SL, Wu JG, et al (2014). Study on the biological characteristics of CD133 (+) cells interfered by RNA interference in gastric cancer. ISRN Gastroenterol, 19, 329519.
- Zhao P, Lu Y, Jiang X, Li X (2011). Clinicopathological significance and prognostic value of CD133 expression in triple-negative breast carcinoma. Cancer Sci, 102, 1107-11. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2011.01894.x
- Weidner N, Moore DH 2nd, Vartanian R (1994). Correlation of Ki-67 antijen expression with mitotic Figure index and tumor grade in breast carcinomas using the novel 'paraffin' reactive MIBI antibody. Hum Pathol, 25, 337-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/0046-8177(94)90140-6
- Wen L, Chen X,Yang K, et al (2013). Prognostic value of cancer stem cell marker CD133 expression in gastric cancer: A systematic Review. PLoS ONE, 8, 59154. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0059154
- Zhao P, Li Y, Lu Y (2010). Aberrant expression of CD133 protein correlates with Ki-67 expression and is a prognostic marker in gastric adenocarcinoma. BMC Cancer, 10, 218. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-10-218
- Zeppernick F, Ahmadi R, Campos B, et al (2008). Stem cell marker CD133 affects clinical outcome in gloma patients. Clin Cancer Res, 14, 123-9. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-07-0932
- Clinicopathological Significance of CD133 and ALDH1 Cancer Stem Cell Marker Expression in Invasive Ductal Breast Carcinoma vol.16, pp.17, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.17.7491
- Ginsenoside-Rh2 Inhibits Proliferation and Induces Apoptosis of Human Gastric Cancer SGC-7901 Side Population Cells vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.4.1817
- Clinicopathological and prognostic significance of cancer stem cell markers CD44 and CD133 in patients with gastric cancer vol.95, pp.42, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000005163
- Dual Energy Spectral CT Imaging in the assessment of Gastric Cancer and cell proliferation: A Preliminary Study vol.8, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-35712-w
- Incorporation of p-53 mutation status and Ki-67 proliferating index in classifying Her2-neu positive gastric adenocarcinoma vol.13, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/19932820.2018.1466573