- Volume 15 Issue 19
DOI QR Code
Pathological Profile of Patients with Breast Diseases in Shiraz
- Rezaianzadeh, Abbas (Colorectal Research Center, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Sepandi, Mojtaba (Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Akrami, Majid (Breast Diseases Research Center, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Tabatabaee, Hamidreza (Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Rajaeefard, Abdolreza (Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Tahmasebi, Sedigheh (Breast Diseases Research Center, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Talei, Abdolrasoul (Breast Diseases Research Center, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2014.10.23
Background: Around 200,000 breast disorders are annually diagnosed all over the world. Fibrocystic changes are the most common breast disorder and fibroadenoma is the most prevalent benign breast tumor. The present study aimed to determine the spectrum, type and prevalence of breast masses in women referred to Shiraz University of Medical Sciences between 2004 and 2012. Materials and Methods: A cross-sectional study was conducted on the diagnostic reports data. Results: A total of 640 samples were studied. Most 57.3% of masses were detected in the left breast, 65%, 28.2% and 6.1% of cases presenting with benign, malignant, and inflammatory lesions, respectively. Among all the samples the most prevalent diagnosis (37.7%) was fibroadenoma and fibrocystic lesions (17%). 174 samples (96% of the malignant cases) were invasive. 6.5% of the benign, and 37% of the malignant cases occurred in post menopause women and the differences were statistically significant. Among those with malignant tumors lymph nodes were involved in 25.6% of menopausal women and 44.2% of non-menopausal ones, and the difference was statistically significant. Conclusions: Regular clinical breast examination beside mammographic follow-ups, especially during menopause, should be carried out as a priority and a national organized program should be designed for screening breast disorders.
Breast diseases;benign;malignant;fibroadenoma;Iranian women
- Abbastabar H, Hamidifard P, Roustazadeh A, et al (2013). Relationships between breast cancer and common noncommunicable disease risk factors: an ecological study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5123-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.9.5123
- Afsharfard A, Mozaffar M, Orang E, et al (2013). Trends in epidemiology, clinical and histopathological characteristics of breast cancer in Iran: results of a 17 year study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6905-11. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6905
- Barton MB, Elmore JG, Fletcher SW (1999). Breast symptoms among women enrolled in a health maintenance organization: frequency, evaluation, and outcome. Ann Intern Med, 130, 651-7. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-130-8-199904200-00005
- Al-Rikabi A, Husain S (2012). Increasing prevalence of breast cancer among Saudi patients attending a tertiary referral hospital: a retrospective epidemiologic study. Croatian Med J, 53, 239. https://doi.org/10.3325/cmj.2012.53.239
- Aslam HM, Saleem S, Shaikh HA, et al (2013). Clinicopathological profile of patients with breast diseases. Diagnostic Pathology, 8, 77. https://doi.org/10.1186/1746-1596-8-77
- Ballard-Barbash R (1994). Anthropometry and breast cancer. Body size-a moving target. Cancer, 74, 1090-100. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19940801)74:3+<1090::AID-CNCR2820741518>3.0.CO;2-X
- Bock K, Duda VF, Hadji P, et al (2005). Pathologic breast conditions in childhood and adolescence evaluation by sonographic diagnosis. J Ultrasound Med, 24, 1347-54.
- Brunicardi FC, Andersen DK, Billiar TR, et al (2009). Schwartz's Principles of Surgery, Ninth Edition: McGraw-Hill Education.
- Bukhari MH, Arshad M, Jamal S, et al (2011). Use of fine-needle aspiration in the evaluation of breast lumps. Pathology Res Int, 2011, 1-10.
- Caleffi M, Borghetti K, Graudenz M, et al (2004). Cryoablation of benign breast tumors: evolution of technique and technology. The Breast, 13, 397-407. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.breast.2004.04.008
- Chaudhary IA, Qureshi SK, Rasul S, et al (2003). Pattern of benign breast diseases. J Surg Pak, 8, 5-7.
- Dahri FJ, Awan MS, Leghari A, et al (2010). An early diagnosis of benign breast diseases. J Surgery Pakistan, 15, 186.
- Degnim AC, Visscher DW, Berman HK, et al (2007). Stratification of breast cancer risk in women with atypia: a Mayo cohort study. J Clin Oncol, 25, 2671-7. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.09.0217
- Franceschi S, Favero A, La Vecchia C, et al (1996). Body size indices and breast cancer risk before and after menopause. Int J Cancer, 67, 181-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0215(19960717)67:2<181::AID-IJC5>3.0.CO;2-P
- Dupont WD, Parl FF, Hartmann WH, et al (1993). Breast cancer risk associated with proliferative breast disease and atypical hyperplasia. Cancer, 71, 1258-65. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19930215)71:4<1258::AID-CNCR2820710415>3.0.CO;2-I
- Egwuonwu O, Anyanwu S, Chianakwana G, et al (2009). Breast Lumps in NAUTH, Nnewi: A 5 year Review. Nigerian J Surgery, 15, 6-9.
- Fouladi N, Pourfarzi F, Amani F, et al (2012). Breast cancer in Ardabil province in the north-west of Iran: an epidemiological study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1543-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.4.1543
- Ghasemzadeh S, Khayat Khameneh M, Dadmanesh M, et al (2008). Evaluation of prevalence and risk factors of asymptomatic masses of breast" in women visiting in khanevadeh hospital (oct 2005-2006). JAUMS, 6, 87-90.
- Guray M, Sahin AA (2006). Benign breast diseases: classification, diagnosis, and management. The Oncologist, 11, 435-49. https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.11-5-435
- Harirchi I, Karbakhsh M, Kashefi A, et al (2004). Breast cancer in Iran: results of a multi-center study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 5, 24-7.
- Hartmann LC, Sellers TA, Frost MH, et al (2005). Benign breast disease and the risk of breast cancer. New England J Mede, 353, 229-37. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa044383
- Heiss G, Wallace R, Anderson GL, et al (2008). Health risks and benefits 3 years after stopping randomized treatment with estrogen and progestin. Jama, 299, 1036-45. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.299.9.1036
- Hislop T, Elwood J (1981). Risk factors for benign breast disease: a 30-year cohort study. Can Med Assoc J, 124, 283.
- Hussain N, Bushra A, Nadia N, et al (2005). Pattern of female breast diseases in karachi. Biomedica, 21, 36-8.
- Khanzada TW, Samad A, Sushel C (2009). Spectrum of benign breast diseases. Pak J Med Sci, 25, 265-8.
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Kadivar M, Mafi N, Joulaee A, et al (2012). Breast cancer molecular subtypes and associations with clinicopathological characteristics in iranian women, 2002. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1881-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.1881
- Kamal F, Nagi A, Sadiq A, et al (2000). Fibrocystic disease of breast-age frequency and morphological patterns. Pak J Pathol, 11, 11-4.
- Khokher S, Qureshi MU, Riaz M, et al (2012). Clinicopathologic profile of breast cancer patients in Pakistan: ten years data of a local cancer hospital. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 693-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.2.693
- Khurshid A, Faridi N, Arif AM, et al (2013). Breast lesions in adolescents and young women in Pakistan - a 5 year study of significance of early recognition. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3465-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3465
- Kochhar AK, Jindal U, Singh K (2013). Spectrum of cytological findings in fine needle aspiration cytology of breast lumps with histopathology correlation: experience in a tertiary care rural hospital in India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 7257-60. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.12.7257
- Kotepui M, Chupeerach C (2013). Age distribution of breast cancer from a Thailand population-based cancer registry. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3815-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3815
- La Vecchia C, Negri E, Franceschi S, et al (1997). Body mass index and post-menopausal breast cancer: an age-specific analysis. Br J Cancer, 75, 441. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.1997.73
- Mehrabani D, Almasi A, Farahmand M, et al (2012). Incidence of breast cancer in fars province, southern Iran: A hospitalbased study. World J Plast Surg, 1, 16-21.
- Pollitt J, Gateley CA (2004). Management of benign disease of the breast. Surgery, 22, 164-8.
- Olu-Eddo A, Ugiagbe EE (2011). Benign breast lesions in an African population: A 25-year histopathological review of 1864 cases. Niger Med J, 52, 211. https://doi.org/10.4103/0300-1652.93790
- Otu A (1990). Benign breast tumours in an African population. J Royal Coll Surg Edinb, 35, 373-5.
- Perez JAM, Garcia FC, Palacios S, et al (2009). Epidemiology of risk factors and symptoms associated with menopause in Spanish women. Maturitas, 62, 30-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.maturitas.2008.10.003
- Rezaianzadeh A, Heydari S, Hosseini H, et al (2011). Prevalence of breast cancer in a defined population of iran. Iran Red Crescent Med J, 13, 647.
- Schnitt SJ (2003). Benign breast disease and breast cancer risk: morphology and beyond. Am J Surg Pathol, 27, 836-41. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000478-200306000-00017
- Sirous M, Ebrahimi A (2008). The epidemiology of breast masses among women in Esfahan. Iran J Surg, 16, 0.
- Taj MN, Akbar Z, Hassan H, et al (2009). Pattern of presentation of breast diseases in a general hospital. Rawal Med J, 34, 124-7.
- Templeman C, Hertweck MD SP (2000). Breast disorders in the pediatric and adolescent patient. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am, 27, 19-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0889-8545(00)80004-2
- Tiwari P, Tiwari M (2013). The current scenario of benign breast diseases in rural India. A clinicopathological study. J Evaluation of Med and Dental Sci, 12, 4933-7.
- Worsham MJ, Raju U, Lu M, et al (2009). Risk factors for breast cancer from benign breast disease in a diverse population. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 118, 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-008-0198-8
- Wrensch M, Chew T, Farren G, et al (2003). Risk factors for breast cancer in a population with high incidence rates. Breast Cancer Res, 5, 88-102. https://doi.org/10.1186/bcr605
- BRCA1 and BRCA2 Common Mutations in Iranian Breast Cancer Patients: a Meta Analysis vol.16, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.3.1219