- Volume 15 Issue 19
DOI QR Code
Gastrointestinal Adverse Effects in Advanced Colorectal Carcinoma Patients Treated with Different Schedules of FOLFOX
- Bano, Nusrat (Pharmacology Department, Ziauddin University) ;
- Najam, Rahila (Pharmacology Department, University of Karachi) ;
- Qazi, Faaiza (Jinnah University for Women) ;
- Mateen, Ahmed (Radiotherapy Department, Karachi Institute of Radiotherapy and Nuclear Medicine)
- Published : 2014.10.23
Background: To assess the frequency and severity of gastrointestinal adverse effects in advanced colorectal carcinoma patients treated with four different schedules of FOLFOX. Materials and Methods: Patients (median age 61 years) who underwent surgery were included in the study. All had measureable disease at CT scan, ultrasonography or clinical examination. Toxicity was graded on a scale of 1-5 according to the general grade definition of CTC v2.0. The severity of adverse effects (Grade 3 and 4) assessed in each treatment arm was compared. Results: Differences between the incidence rates of 3 and 4 toxicity and all grades of toxicity for all parameters in GI toxicity were very highly significant (p<0.001). Severe gastrointestinal symptoms of toxicity were noted with FOLFOX7 (oxaliplatin
- Bano N, Rahila N, Mateen A (2013d). Comparative assessment of skin and subcutaneous toxicity in patients of advanced colorectal carcinoma treated with different schedules of FOLFOX. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 1781-86. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.1781
- Bano N, Najam R, Mateen A (2013a). Neurological adverse effects in patients of advanced colorectal carcinoma treated with different schedules of FOLFOX. Chemother Res Pract, 2013, 379870.
- Bano N, Najam R (2013b). Oxaliplatin: Its use in advanced colorectal carcinoma. Chem Inform, 44.
- Bano N, Najam R, Mateen A, Mirza T (2013c). Effects on cardiac biomarkers in colorectal cancer patients treated with FOLFOX. Pak J Med Dent, 2, 9-15.
- Carlotto A, Hogsett VL, Maiorini EM, Razulis JG, Sonis ST (2013). The economic burden of toxicities associated with cancer treatment: review of the literature and analysis of nausea and vomiting, diarrhoea, oral mucositis and fatigue. PharmacoEconomics, 31, 753-66. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40273-013-0081-2
- Comeau JM, Mohundro BL (2013). From bench to bedside: Promising colon cancer clinical trials. Am J Manag Care, 19, 32-7.
- Dogan K, Oztop I, Yavuzsen T, Ellidokuz H, and Yilmaz H (2011). Evaluation of the efficacy of modified De Gramont and modified FOLFOX4 regimens for adjuvant therapy of locally advanced rectal cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 3181-86.
- Gibson RJ, Keefe DMK, Lalla RV, et al (2013). Systematic review of agents for the management of gastrointestinal mucositis in cancer patients. Support Care Cancer, 21, 313-26. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-012-1644-z
- Lee HJ, Kim HS, Park NH, et al (2013). Feasibility of oxaliplatin, leucovorin, and 5-fluorouracil (FOLFOX-4) chemotherapy in heavily pretreated patients with recurrent epithelial ovarian cancer. Cancer Res Treat, 45, 40-7. https://doi.org/10.4143/crt.2013.45.1.40
- Halit K, Deniz K, Berk V, Inanc M, Ozkan M (2012). Association of human epidermal growth factor receptor-2 expression and clinicopathological findings in patients with colorectal cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 6221-25. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.12.6221
- Joanne C, Tang V, Leung R, et al (2013). Efficacy and tolerability of adjuvant oral capecitabine plus intravenous oxaliplatin (XELOX) in Asian patients with colorectal cancer: 4-year analysis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6585-90. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6585
- Kuebler JP, Wieand HS, O'Connell MJ, et al (2007). Oxaliplatin combined with weekly bolus 5-fluorouracil and leucovorin as surgical adjuvant chemotherapy for stage II and III colon cancer: results from NSABP protocol C-07. J Clin Oncol, 25, 2198-204. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.08.2974
- Najam R, Bano N, Mateen A (2013). Comparative cardiac toxicity in two treatment schedules of 5-FU/LV for colorectal carcinoma. Pak J Pharm Sci, 26, 1013-22.
- Nakatsumi H, Komatsu Y, Yuki S, et al (2013). Optimal dose period for indisetron tablets for preventing chemotherapyinduced nausea and vomiting with modified FOLFOX6: A randomized pilot study. Chemother, 58, 439-44.
- Qi C, Xia HW, Ge XJ, et al (2013). Serum miR-19a predicts resistance to FOLFOX chemotherapy in advanced colorectal cancer cases. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 7421-26. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.12.7421
- Ramanathan RK, Clark JW, Kemeny NE, et al (2003). Safety and toxicity analysis of oxaliplatin combined with fluorouracil or as a single agent in patients with previously treated advanced colorectal cancer. J Clin Oncol, 21, 2904-11. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2003.11.045
- Schultheis B, Folprecht G, Kuhlmann J, et al (2013). Regorafenib in combination with FOLFOX or FOLFIRI as first-or second-line treatment of colorectal cancer: results of a multicenter, phase Ib study. Ann Oncol, 24, 1560-67. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdt056
- Sharif S, O'Connell MJ, Yothers G, Lopa S, Wolmark N (2008). FOLFOX and FLOX regimens for the adjuvant treatment of resected stage II and III colon cancer. Cancer Invest, 26, 956-63. https://doi.org/10.1080/07357900802132550
- Uncu D, Aksoy S, Cetin B, et al (2013). Results of adjuvant FOLFOX regimens in stage III colorectal cancer patients: Retrospective analysis of 667 patients. Oncol, 84, 240-5. https://doi.org/10.1159/000336902
- Treatment-related gastrointestinal toxicities and advanced colorectal or pancreatic cancer: A critical update vol.21, pp.41, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v21.i41.11793
- Clinical Features of Oxaliplatin Induced Hypersensitivity Reactions and Therapeutic Approaches vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.4.1637
- Lactobacillus casei Variety rhamnosus Probiotic Preventively Attenuates 5-Fluorouracil/Oxaliplatin-Induced Intestinal Injury in a Syngeneic Colorectal Cancer Model vol.9, pp.1664-302X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3389/fmicb.2018.00983
- Chemotherapy protocols and incidence of oral mucositis. An integrative review vol.16, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1590/s1679-45082018rw4007