- Volume 23 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Undesirable Parenting Behavior, Children's Peer Relationship and Self-regulated Learning on Children's Self-esteem
부모의 바람직하지 않은 양육행동과 아동의 친구관계 및 자기조절학습능력이 아동의 자아존중감에 미치는 영향
- Woo, Sujung (Gyeonggido Family & Women's Research Institute)
- 우수정 (경기도가족여성연구원)
- Received : 2014.07.30
- Accepted : 2014.10.14
- Published : 2014.10.31
The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of undesirable parenting behavior, children's peer relationship and self-regulated learning on children's self-esteem. Using the data from Korean Children and Youth Panel Survey, this study was conducted with Structural Equation Modeling(SEM). The results of this study were as follows. First, parents' undesirable parenting behavior influenced directly on children's self-esteem, and peer relationship. Second, children's peer relationship influenced directly on self-regulated learning, and self-esteem. Third, children's self-regulated learning influenced directly on self-esteem. Fourth, parents' undesirable parenting behavior did not influenced directly on children's self-regulated learning. But children's peer relationship and self-regulated learning had mediating effects on the relationship between undesirable parenting behavior and children's self-esteem.
- Berndt, T. J. (1996). Exploring the effects of friendship quality on development. In W. M. Bukowski, A. F. Newcomb, & W. W. Hartup(Eds.), The company they keep: Friendship in childhood and adolescence(pp.346-365). New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Carlson, C., Uppal, S., & Prosser, E. (2000). Ethnic differences in processes contributing to the self-esteem of early adolescent girls. Journal of Early Adolescence, 20, 44-67. https://doi.org/10.1177/0272431600020001003
- Chang, S. J., Song, S. W., & Cho, M. A. (2011). The effects of mobile phone dependency, perceived parenting attitude, attachment to peer on school life adjustment of middle school students. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 18(12), 431-451.
- Chen, X., Dong, Q., & Zhou, H. (1997). Authoritative and authoritarian parenting practices and social school performance in Chinese children. International Journal of Behavior Development, 21(4), 855-873. https://doi.org/10.1080/016502597384703
- Chen, X., Chang, H., He, Y., & Liu, H. (2005). The peer group as a context: Moderating effects on relations between maternal parenting and social and school adjustment in Chinese children. Child Development, 76(2), 417-434. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8624.2005.00854.x
- Cho, H. C. (2000). Structure of the self - concept of Korean primary and secondary school students : Analysis by multidimensional hierarchical model. Korean Journal of Child Studies, 21(2), 99-118.
- Chung, M. K. (2002a). A Study on the relationship between the children's perception of the parental rearing attitudes and the peer relationships. Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul Women's University, Seoul, Korea.
- Chung, M. K. (2002b). The development and validation of self-regulated learning test for elementary school students. The Korean Journal of Educational Psychology, 16(4), 303-324.
- Doh, H. S., & Choi, M. K. (1998). The relations of maternal childrearing behaviors and peer experiences to children's self-esteem. Korean Journal of Child Studies, 19(2), 19-33.
- Gonzales, A., Holbein, M. F. D., & Quilter, S. (2002). High school student's goal orientations and their relationship to perceived parenting style. Contemporary Educational Psychology, 27(1), 450-470. https://doi.org/10.1006/ceps.2001.1104
- Gumora, G., & Arsenio, W. F. (2002). Emotionality, regulation, and school performance in middle school children. Journal of School Psychology, 40, 395-413. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4405(02)00108-5
- Harter, S. (1993). Causes and consequences of low self-esteem in children and adolescents. In Baumeister, R. (Ed.), Self-Esteem: The Puzzle of Low Self-Regard(pp. 87-116). New York: Plenum.
- Harter, S. (1996). Historical roots of contemporary issues involving self-concept. In Bracken, Bruce A. (Ed.), Handbook of self-concept: Developmental, social, and clinical considerations(pp. 1-37). Oxford, England: John Wiley & Sons.
- Hong, S., Malik, M. L., & Lee, M. K. (2003). Testing configural, metric, scalar, and latent mean invariance across genders in sociotropy and autonomy using non-western sample. Educational and Psychology Measurement, 63, 636-654. https://doi.org/10.1177/0013164403251332
- Huh, M. Y. (2000). The study for the development and validation of 'parenting behavior inventory' perceived by adolescent. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea.
- Hyun, K. J. (2009). Exploring the components of positivity among adult koreans: Development and validation of a positive attitude scale. Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, 23(2), 13-42.
- Jang, J. S., & Baik, K. I. (2002). The influence of mother's rearing attitudes and children's selfconcept on children's relations with friends and teachers. Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, 40(8), 1-11.
- Jeong, H. S. (2009). The influence of attachment to mother and school life adjustments on elementary school students's optimism. Unpublished master's thesis, Dankook University, Gyeonggi, Korea.
- Jeong, M. S. (2010). The effect of parent's rearing attitude and peer relation on adolescent's self-esteem. Forum for Youth Culture, 25, 140-170.
- Kang, Y. J. (2009). Relations between parent's fostering attitudes and self-esteem in adolescent who disappeared from home and who did not. Unpublished master's thesis, Gyeongsang National University, Jinju, Korea.
- Kernis, M. H. (2002). Self-esteem as a multifaceted construct. In T. M. Brinthaupt & R. P. Lipka (Eds.), Understanding early adolescent self and identity(pp.57-88). Albany, NY: State University of New York Press.
- Kim, J. H., Kim, M. G., & Hong, S. H. (2009). Writing Scholarly Papers with Structural Equation Modeling. Seoul: Communication Books.
- Kim, J. Y. (2009). The effects of family and peer factors on adolescents' self-esteem. Unpublished master's thesis, Chung-Ang University, Seoul, Korea.
- Kim, S. Y. (2006). A study on the difference in internet activities, self-control, self-regulated learning and academic achievement according to the level of internet addiction among middle school students. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea.
- Lamborn, S. D., Mounts, N. S., Steinberg, L., & Dornbusch, S. M. (1991). Patterns of competence and adjustment among adolescents from authoritative, authoritarian, indulgent, and neglectful families. Child Development, 62(5), 1049-1065. https://doi.org/10.2307/1131151
- Lee, E. J. (2011). Influence of children's perception of parents' child rearing attitude on happiness and peer relationships. Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul, Korea.
- Lee, K. N. (2004). The individual, family and classroom environmental variables that affect children's self-control. Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 13(6), 833-845.
- Lee, S. M. (2003). The effects of perceived parental behaviors on depression and anxiety-Self-esteem and locus of control-. Unpublished master's thesis, Chung-Ang University, Seoul, Korea.
- Lim, S. A. (2013). A Structural analysis of the relationship among parenting attitude, selfregulated learning ability, and self-esteem influencing student's school adjustment. The Journal of Elementary Education, 26(1), 121-138.
- Malatesta, C., & Haviland, J. (1982). Learning display rule: The socialization of emotion expression in infancy. Child Development, 53, 991-1003. https://doi.org/10.2307/1129139
- Marsh, H. W. (1990). The structure of academic self-concept: The Marsh/Shavelson model. Journal of Educational Psychology, 82, 623-636. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06220.127.116.113
- Marsh, H. W., Craven, R., & Debus, R. (1998). Structure, stability, and development of young children's self-concepts: A multicohort-multioccasion study. Child Development, 69(4), 1030-1053. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8624.1998.tb06159.x
- Marsh, H. W., & Yeung, A. S. (1997). Causal effects of academic self-concept on academic achievement: Structural equation models of longitudinal data. Journal of Educational Psychology, 89, 41-54. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0618.104.22.168
- Nelsen, J., & Erwin, C. (2000). Parents who love too much: How good can learn to love more wisely and develop children of character. Reseville, CA: Prima.
- Park, Y. Y. (1995). Relationship between Childrearing Behavior and Sibling Relationship and Children's Self-Esteem. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Korea University, Seoul, Korea.
- Park, Y. Y., Choi, Y. H., Park, I. J., & Kim, H. E. (2002). The Relationships between maternal childrearing behaviors as perceived by children and children's self-esteem -Emphasizing on the analysis based upon children's sex-. The Korean Journal of Developmental Psychology, 15(4), 43-60.
- Parke, R, & Ladd, G. (1992). Family-peer relationships: Modes of linkage. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Rosenberg, M. (1965). Society and the adolescent self-image. Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press.
- Rosenberg, M. (1979). Conceiving the self. New York: Basic Books.
- Ryu, K. H. (2003). Family-related variables affecting adolescents' school life maladjustment. Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, 41(12), 147-168.
- Shaffer, D. R. (2000). Social and personality development(4th ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth/Tomson Learning.
- Shipman, K. L., & Zeman, J. (2001). Socialization of children's emotion regulation in mother-child dyads: A developmental psychopathology perspective. Development and Psychopathology, 13, 317-336. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0954579401002073
- Steinberg, L. D. (2001). We know some things: Parent-adolescent relationships in retrospect and prospect. Journal of Research on Adolescence, 11, 1-19. https://doi.org/10.1111/1532-7795.00001
- Sullivan, J. (1998). Dimensions of classroom environment as related to student's self-control and academic self-concept. Unpublished doctoral disssertation, The City University of N.Y.
- Yang, M. H. (2000). The study on the development and validation of self-regulated learning model. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea.