- Volume 27 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Protected Organic Acid Blends as an Alternative to Antibiotics in Finishing Pigs
- Upadhaya, S.D. (Department of Animal Resource and Science, Dankook University) ;
- Lee, K.Y. (Morningbio Co., LTD.) ;
- Kim, In Ho (Department of Animal Resource and Science, Dankook University)
- Received : 2014.05.15
- Accepted : 2014.08.14
- Published : 2014.11.01
A total of 120 finishing pigs ([Yorkshire
Supported by : Korea Institute of Planning and Evaluation for Technology of Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries
- Blank, R., R. Mosenthin, W. C. Sauer, and S. Huang. 1999. Effect of fumaric acid and dietary buffering capacity on ileal and fecal amino acid digestibilities in early-weaned pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 77:2974-2984.
- Ahmed, S. T., J. A. Hwang, J. Hoon, H. S. Mun, and C. J. Yang. 2014. Comparison of single and blend of acidifiers as an alternative to antibiotics on growth performance, fecal microflora and humoral immunity in weaned piglets. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 27:93-100. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2013.13411
- AOAC. 2000. Official Methods of Analysis. 17th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Gaithersburg, MD, USA.
- Argenzio, R. A. and J. Eisemann. 1996. Mechanisms of acid injury in porcine gastroesophageal mucosa. Am. J. Vet. Res. 57:564-573.
- Bearson, S., B. Bearson, and J. W. Foster. 1997. Acid stress responses in enterobacteria. FEMS Microb. Lett. 147:173-180. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1574-6968.1997.tb10238.x
- Berg, E. P. 2000. Pork composition and quality assessment procedures. In: National Pork Producers Council (NPPC). Des Monies, IA, USA. pp. 1-38.
- Bosi, P., H. J. Jung, I. K. Han, S. Perini, J. A. Cacciavillani, L. Casini, D. Creston, C. Gremokolini, and S. Mattuzzi. 1999. Effects of dietary buffering characteristics and protected or unprotected acids on piglet growth, digestibility and characteristics of gut content. Asian Australas J. Anim. Sci. 12:1104-1110. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.1999.1104
- Dibner, J. J. and P. Buttin. 2002. Use of organic acid as a model, to study the impact of gut microflora on nutrition and metabolism. J. Appl. Poult. Res. 11:453-463. https://doi.org/10.1093/japr/11.4.453
- Dierick, N. A., J. A. Decuypere, K. Molly, E. Van Beek, and E. Vanderbeke. 2002. The combined use of triacylglycerols (TAGs) containing medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs) and exogenous lipolytic enzymes as an alternative to nutritional antibiotics in piglet nutrition. II. In vivo release of MCFAs in gastric cannulated and slaughtered piglets by endogenous and exogenous lipases; effects on the luminal gut flora and growth performance. Livest. Prod. Sci. 76:1-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(01)00331-1
- Eckel, B., M. Kirchgessner, and F. X. Roth. 1992. Influence of formic acid on daily weight gain, feed intake, feed conversion rate and digestibility. J. Anim. Physiol. Anim. Nutr. 67:93-100. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0396.1992.tb00588.x
- Eriksen, J., A. P. Adamsen, J. V. Norgaard, H. D. Poulsen, B. B. Jensen, and S. O. Petersen. 2010. Emissions of sulfur containing odorants, ammonia and methane from pig slurry: Effect of dietary methionine and benzoic acid. J. Environ. Qual. 39:1097-1107. https://doi.org/10.2134/jeq2009.0400
- Kil, D. Y., L. G. Piao, H. F. Long, J. S. Lim, M. S. Yun, C. S. Kong, W. S. Ju, H. B. Lee, and Y. Y. Kim. 2006. Effects of organic or inorganic acid supplementation on growth performance, nutrient digestibility and white blood cell counts in weanling pigs. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 19:252-261.
- Franco, L. D., M. Fondevila, M. B. Lobera, and C. Castrillo. 2005. Effect of combinations of organic acids in weaned pig diets on microbial species of digestive tract contents and their response on digestibility. J. Anim. Physiol. Anim. Nutr. 89: 88-93. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0396.2005.00553.x
- Honikel, K. O. 1998. Reference methods for the assessment of physical characteristics of meat. Meat Sci. 49:447-457. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(98)00034-5
- Kauffman, R. G., G. Eikelenboom, P. G. van der Wal, G. S. M. Merkus, and M. Zaar. 1986. The use of filter paper to estimate drip loss of porcine musculature. Meat.Sci. 18:191-200. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(86)90033-1
- Kil, D. Y., W. B. Kwon, and B. G. Kim. 2011. Dietary acidifiers in weanling pig diets: A review. Rev. Colomb. Cienc. Pecu. 24:231-247.
- Kluge, H., J. Broz, and K. Eder. 2006. Effect of dietary benzoic acid on urinary pH and nutrient digestibility in lactating sows. Livest. Sci. 134:119-121.
- Kirchgessner, M. and F. X. Roth. 1982. Fumaric acid as a feed additive in pig nutrition. Pig News Inf. 3:259-263.
- Lee, D. N., S. R. Liu, Y. T. Chen, R. C. Wang, Y. S. Lin, and C. F. Weng. 2007. Effects of diets supplemented with organic acids and nucleotides on growth, immune responses and digestive tract development in weaned pigs. J. Anim. Physiol. Anim. Nutr. 91:508-518. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0396.2007.00684.x
- Li, Z., G. Yi, J. Yin, P. Sun, D. Li, and C. Knight. 2008. Effects of organic acids on growth performance, gastrointestinal pH, intestinal microbial populations and immune responses of weaned pigs. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 21:252-261. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2008.70089
- Mroz, Z., S. J. Koopmans, A. Bannink, A. K. Partanen, W. Krasucki, M. Overland, and S. Radcliffe. 2006. Carboxylic acids as bioregulators and gut growth promoters in nonruminants. In: Biology of Nutrition in Growing Animals (Eds. R. Mosenthin, J. Zentek, and T. Zebrowska). Vol. 4. Elsevier Limited. pp. 81-133.
- Li, L. L., Z. P. Hou, Y. L. Yin, Y. H. Liu, D. X. Hou, B. Zhang, G. Y. Wu, S. W. Kim, M. Z. Fan, C. B. Yang, X. F. Kong, Z. R. Tang, H. Z. Peng, D. Deng, Z. Y. Deng, M. Y. Xie, H. Xiong, P. Kang, and S. X. Wang. 2007. Intramuscular administration of zinc metallothionein to preslaughter stressed pigs improves anti-oxidative status and pork quality. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 20:761-767. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2007.761
- Luckstadt, C. and S. Mellor. 2011. The use of organic acids in animal nutrition, with special focus on dietary potassium diformate under European and Austral-Asian conditions. Recent Advances in Animal Nutrition. Australia. 18:123-130.
- Manzanilla, E. G., J. F. Perez, M. Martin, C. Kamel, F. Baucells, and J. Gasa. 2004. Effect of plant extracts and formic acid on the intestinal equilibrium of early-weaned pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 82:3210-3218.
- NRC. 1998. Nutrient Requirement of Swine. 10th edn. National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- Overland, M., N. P. Kjos, M. Borg, E. Skjerve, and H. Sorum. 2008. Organic acids in diets for entire male pigs: Effect on skatole level, microbiota in digesta, and growth performance. Livest. Sci. 115:169-178. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2007.07.007
- Partenen, K. 2001. Organic acids - Their efficacy and modes of action in pigs. In: Gut Environment of Pigs (Eds. A. Piva, K. E. Bach Knudsen, and J. E. Lindberg). Nottingham Univ. Press, City, Country.
- Partanen, K. and Z. Mroz . 1999. Organic acids for performance enhancement in pig diets. Nutr. Res. Rev. 12:117-145. https://doi.org/10.1079/095442299108728884
- Radecki, S. V., M. R. Juhl, and E. R. Miller. 1988. Fumaric and citric acids as feed additives in starter pig diets: Effect on performance and nutrient balance. J. Anim. Sci. 66:2598-2605.
- Walsh, M. C., D. M. Sholly, R. B. Hinson, K. L. Saddoris, A. L. Sutton, J. S. Tadcliffe, R. Odgaard, J. Murphy, and B. T. Richert. 2007. Effects of water and diet acidification with and without antibiotics on weanling pig growth and microbial shedding. J.Anim. Sci. 85:1799-1808. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-049
- Ravindran, V. and E. T. Kornegay. 1993. Acidification of weaner pig diets: A review. J. Sci. Food Agric. 62:313-322. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740620402
- SAS. 1996. SAS User's Guide. Release 6.12 edn. SAS Institute. Inc, Cary, North CA, USA.
- Vandenbergh, P. A. 1993. Lactic acid bacteria, their metabolic products and interference with microbial growth. FEMS Microbiol. Rev. 12:221-237. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1574-6976.1993.tb00020.x
- Wang, J. P., J. S. Yoo, J. H. Lee, H. D. Jang, H. J. Kim, S.O. Shin, S. I. Seong, and I. H. Kim. 2009a. Effect of phenyllactic acid on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, microbial shedding and blood profiles in pigs. J.Anim. Sci. 87:3235-3243. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2008-1555
- Wang, J. P., J. S. Yoo, J. H. Lee, T. X. Zhou, H. D. Jang, H. J. Kim, and I. H. Kim. 2009b. Effects of phenyllactic acid on production performance, egg quality parameters, and blood characteristics in laying hens. J. Appl. Poult. Res. 18:203-209. https://doi.org/10.3382/japr.2008-00071
- Williams, C. H., D. J. David, and O. Iismaa. 1962. The determination of chromic oxide in faeces samples by atomic absorption spectrophotometry. J. Agric. Sci. 59:381-385. https://doi.org/10.1017/S002185960001546X
Yin, Y. L., S. K. Baidoo, H. Schulze, and P. H. Simmins. 2001. Effects of supplementing diets containing hulless barley varieties having different levels of non-starch polysaccharides with
$\beta$-glucanase and xylanase on the physiological status of the gastrointestinal tract and nutrient digestibility of weaned pigs. Livest. Prod. Sci. 71:97-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(01)00214-7
- Zahn, J. A., J. L. Hatfield, Y. S. Do, A. A. Dispirito, D. A. Laird, and R. L. Pfeiffer.1997. Characterisation of volatile organic emissions and wastes from a swine production facility. J. Environ. Qual. 26:1687-1696.
- Evaluating the effect of microencapsulated blends of organic acids and essential oils in broiler chickens diet pp.1537-0437, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3382/japr/pfv063
- on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, blood parameters, and meat quality in finishing pigs vol.98, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1139/cjas-2017-0126
- Beneficial Effects of Garlic in Livestock and Poultry Nutrition: A Review pp.2249-7218, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40003-018-0390-y
- Effects of a matrix-coated organic acids and medium-chain fatty acids blend on performance, and in vitro fecal noxious gas emissions in growing pigs fed in-feed antibiotic-free diets vol.98, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1139/cjas-2017-0053
- Comparative efficacy of antibiotic growth promoter and benzoic acid on growth performance, nutrient utilization and indices of gut health in nursery pigs fed corn-wheat-soybean meal diet pp.1918-1825, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1139/CJAS-2018-0056
- Innovative drugs, chemicals, and enzymes within the animal production chain vol.49, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1186/s13567-018-0559-1