- Volume 27 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Polymorphism, Genetic Effect and Association with Egg Production Traits of Chicken Matrix Metalloproteinases 9 Promoter
- Zhu, Guiyu (Shandong Provincial Key Laboratory of Animal Biotechnology and Disease Control and Prevention, College of Animal Science and Veterinary Medicine, Shandong Agricultural University) ;
- Jiang, Yunliang (Shandong Provincial Key Laboratory of Animal Biotechnology and Disease Control and Prevention, College of Animal Science and Veterinary Medicine, Shandong Agricultural University)
- Received : 2014.03.20
- Accepted : 2014.07.17
- Published : 2014.11.01
Matrix metalloproteinases (MMP) are key enzymes involved in cell and tissue remodeling during ovarian follicle development and ovulation. The control of MMP9 transcription in ovarian follicles occurs through a core promoter region (-2,400 to -1,700 bp). The aim of this study was to screen genetic variations in the core promoter region and examine MMP9 transcription regulation and reproduction performance. A single cytosine deletion/insertion polymorphism was found at -1954
- Baka, S., K. Zourla, E. Kouskouni, E. Makrakis, S. Demeridou, D. Tzanakaki, D. Hassiakos, and G. Creatsas. 2010. Matrix metalloproteinases 2 and 9 and their tissue inhibitors in the follicular fluid of patients with polycystic ovaries undergoing in vitro fertilisation. In Vivo 24:293-296.
- Curry, T. E., Jr., L. Song, and S. E. Wheeler. 2001. Cellular localization of gelatinases and tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases during follicular growth, ovulation, and early luteal formation in the rat. Biol. Reprod. 65:855-865. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod65.3.855
- Baka, S., K. Zourla, A. Malamitsi-Puchner, E. Makrakis, G. Kaparos, S. Demeridou, T. Moustakarias, D. Tzanakaki, D. Hassiakos, and E. Kouskouni. 2009. Intrafollicular levels of matrix metalloproteinases-2 and -9 in patients with polycystic ovaries are not associated with pregnancy rate during IVF cycle. In Vivo 23:89-92.
- Choi, J. W., S. E. Ahn, D. Rengaraj, H. W. Seo, W. Lim, G. Song, and J. Y. Han. 2011. Matrix metalloproteinase 3 is a stromal marker for chicken ovarian cancer. Oncol. Lett. 2:1047-1051.
- Curry, T. E., Jr. and K. G. Osteen. 2003. The matrix metalloproteinase system: Changes, regulation, and impact throughout the ovarian and uterine reproductive cycle. Endocr. Rev. 24:428-465. https://doi.org/10.1210/er.2002-0005
- Dubois, B., B. Arnold, and G. Opdenakker. 2000. Gelatinase B deficiency impairs reproduction. J. Clin. Invest. 106:627-628. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI10910
- Furuya, M., H. Ishikura, Y. Ogawa, Y. Kawarada, M. Shibata, S. Fujimoto, and T. Yoshiki. 2000. Analyses of matrix metalloproteinases and their inhibitors in cyst fluid of serous ovarian tumors. Pathobiology 68:239-244. https://doi.org/10.1159/000055932
- Hahn-Dantona, E. A., R. T. Aimes, and J. P. Quigley. 2000. The isolation, characterization, and molecular cloning of a 75-kDa gelatinase B-like enzyme, a member of the matrix metalloproteinase (MMP) family. An avian enzyme that is MMP-9-like in its cell expression pattern but diverges from mammalian gelatinase B in sequence and biochemical properties. J. Biol. Chem. 275:40827-40838. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M006234200
- Heinemeyer, T., E. Wingender, I. Reuter, H. Hermjakob, A. E. Kel, O. V. Kel, E. V. Ignatieva, E. A. Ananko, O. A. Podkolodnaya, F. A. Kolpakov, N. L. Podkolodny, and N. A. Kolchanov. 1998. Databases on transcriptional regulation: TRANSFAC, TRRD and COMPEL. Nucl. Acids Res. 26:362-367. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/26.1.362
- Kang, L., N. B. Zhang, Y. J. Zhang, H. X. Yan, H. Tang, C. S. Yang, H. Wang, and Y. L. Jiang. 2012. Molecular characterization and identification of a novel polymorphism of 200 bp indel associated with age at first egg of the promoter region in chicken follicle-stimulating hormone receptor (FSHR) gene. Mol. Biol. Rep. 39:2967-2973. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-011-1058-x
- Henmi, H., T. Endo, K. Nagasawa, T. Hayashi, M. Chida, N. Akutagawa, M. Iwasaki, Y. Kitajima, T. Kiya, A. Nishikawa, K. Manase, and R. Kudo. 2001. Lysyl oxidase and MMP-2 expression in dehydroepiandrosterone-induced polycystic ovary in rats. Biol. Reprod. 64:157-162. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod64.1.157
- Imai, K., M. A. Khandoker, M. Yonai, T. Takahashi, T. Sato, A. Ito, Y. Hasegawa, and K. Hashizume. 2003. Matrix metalloproteinases-2 and -9 activities in bovine follicular fluid of different-sized follicles: Relationship to intra-follicular inhibin and steroid concentrations. Domest. Anim. Endocrinol. 24:171-183. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0739-7240(02)00235-7
- Johnson, P. A. and J. R. Giles. 2013. The hen as a model of ovarian cancer. Nat. Rev. Cancer 13:432-436. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc3535
- Kikkawa, F., K. Tamakoshi, A. Nawa, K. Shibata, S. Yamagata, T. Yamagata, and N. Suganuma. 1997. Positive correlation between inhibitors of matrix metalloproteinase 1 and matrix metalloproteinases in malignant ovarian tumor tissues. Cancer Lett. 120:109-115. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3835(97)00295-4
- Lewandowski, K. C., J. Komorowski, C. J. O'Callaghan, B. K. Tan, J. Chen, G. M. Prelevic, and H. S. Randeva. 2006. Increased circulating levels of matrix metalloproteinase-2 and -9 in women with the polycystic ovary syndrome. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 91:1173-1177. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2005-0648
- Liu, B., L. Y. Cai, H. M. Lv, L. Xia, Y. J. Zhang, H. X. Zhang, and Y. M. Guan. 2008. Raised serum levels of matrix metalloproteinase-9 in women with polycystic ovary syndrome and its association with insulin-like growth factor binding protein-1. Gynecol. Endocrinol. 24:285-288. https://doi.org/10.1080/09513590802056995
- Oksjoki, S., O. Rahkonen, M. Haarala, E. Vuorio, and L. Anttila. 2004. Differences in connective tissue gene expression between normally functioning, polycystic and postmenopausal ovaries. Mol. Hum. Reprod. 10:7-14. https://doi.org/10.1093/molehr/gah003
- Liu, B. H. 1998. Statistical Genomics: Linkage, Mapping, and QTL Analysis. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, USA.
- Liu, Y., H. U. Bernard, and D. Apt. 1997. NFI-B3, a novel transcriptional repressor of the nuclear factor I family, is generated by alternative RNA processing. J. Biol. Chem. 272:10739-10745. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.272.16.10739
- McCaffery, F. H., R. Leask, S. C. Riley, and E. E. Telfer. 2000. Culture of bovine preantral follicles in a serum-free system: markers for assessment of growth and development. Biol. Reprod. 63:267-273. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod63.1.267
- Niu, B., F. Li, Y. Xiong, and X. Wang. 2013. Characterization and association analysis with litter size traits of porcine matrix metalloproteinase-9 gene (pMMP-9). Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 171:786-794. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12010-013-0396-7
- Page-McCaw, A., A. J. Ewald, and Z. Werb. 2007. Matrix metalloproteinases and the regulation of tissue remodelling. Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 8:221-233. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrm2125
- Peluffo, M. C., M. J. Murphy, S. T. Baughman, R. L. Stouffer, and J. D. Hennebold. 2011. Systematic analysis of protease gene expression in the rhesus macaque ovulatory follicle: metalloproteinase involvement in follicle rupture. Endocrinology 152:3963-3974. https://doi.org/10.1210/en.2011-1172
- Pjanic, M., P. Pjanic, C. Schmid, G. Ambrosini, A. Gaussin, G. Plasari, C. Mazza, P. Bucher, and N. Mermod. 2011. Nuclear factor I revealed as family of promoter binding transcription activators. BMC Genomics 12:181. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2164-12-181
- Ribeiro, L. A., M. E. Turba, A. Zannoni, M. L. Bacci, and M. Forni. 2006. Gelatinases, endonuclease and Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor during development and regression of swine luteal tissue. BMC Dev. Biol. 6:58. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-213X-6-58
- Takeuchi, K., S. Kubota, M. Kinoshita, H. Toyohara, and M. Sakaguchi. 2002. Cloning and characterization of cDNA for carp matrix metalloproteinase 9. Fish. Sci. 68:610-617. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1444-2906.2002.00468.x
- Rodgers, R. J., H. F. Irving-Rodgers, and D. L. Russell. 2003. Extracellular matrix of the developing ovarian follicle. Reproduction 126:415-424. https://doi.org/10.1530/rep.0.1260415
- Sakata, K., K. Shigemasa, N. Nagai, and K. Ohama. 2000. Expression of matrix metalloproteinases (MMP-2, MMP-9, MT1-MMP) and their inhibitors (TIMP-1, TIMP-2) in common epithelial tumors of the ovary. Int. J. Oncol. 17:673-681.
- Shalev, E., S. Goldman, and I. Ben-Shlomo. 2001. The balance between MMP-9 and MMP-2 and their tissue inhibitor (TIMP)-1 in luteinized granulosa cells: comparison between women with PCOS and normal ovulatory women. Mol. Hum. Reprod. 7:325-331. https://doi.org/10.1093/molehr/7.4.325
- Tamakoshi, K., F. Kikkawa, A. Nawa, O. Maeda, M. Kawai, N. Sugamuma, S. Yamagata, and Y. Tomoda. 1994. Different pattern of zymography between human gynecologic normal and malignant tissues. Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 171:478-484. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9378(94)90286-0
- Van den Steen, P. E., B. Dubois, I. Nelissen, P. M. Rudd, R. A. Dwek, and G. Opdenakker. 2002. Biochemistry and molecular biology of gelatinase B or matrix metalloproteinase-9 (MMP-9). Crit. Rev. Biochem. Mol. Biol. 37:375-536. https://doi.org/10.1080/10409230290771546
- Vandooren, J., P. E. Van den Steen, and G. Opdenakker. 2013. Biochemistry and molecular biology of gelatinase B or matrix metalloproteinase-9 (MMP-9): The next decade. Crit. Rev. Biochem. Mol. Biol. 48:222-272. https://doi.org/10.3109/10409238.2013.770819
- Yeh, H. Y. and P. H. Klesius. 2008. Complete structure, genomic organization, and expression of channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus, Rafinesque 1818) matrix metalloproteinase-9 gene. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 72:702-714. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.70579
- Zhu, G., L. Kang, Q. Wei, X. Cui, S. Wang, Y. Chen, and Y. Jiang. 2014. Expression and regulation of MMP1, MMP3, and MMP9 in the chicken ovary in response to gonadotropins, sex hormones, and TGFB1. Biol. Reprod. 90:57, 1-11.
- Zhu, G., L. Kang, C. Yang, X. Zhang, M. Wang, and Y. Jiang. 2012. Differential expression of CTGF in pre- and post-ovulatory granulosa cells in the hen ovary is regulated by TGFbeta1 and gonadotrophins. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 178:314-322. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygcen.2012.06.018
- Dynamic Changes in the Follicular Transcriptome and Promoter DNA Methylation Pattern of Steroidogenic Genes in Chicken Follicles throughout the Ovulation Cycle vol.10, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0146028
- and its application to goose feed vol.4, pp.10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1098/rsos.171012