- Volume 9 Issue 10
The first frame of a GOP is encoded in intra mode which generates a larger number of bits. In addition, the first frame is used for the inter mode encoding of the following frames. Thus the encoding results of the intra frame affects the first frame as well as the following frames. Traditionally, the quantization parameter for an intra frame is determined only depending on the bpp not considering the characteristics of the intra frame. For accurate intra frame encoding, we should consider not only bpp but also the complexity of the video sequence and the output bandwidth. In this paper, we propose a real-time quantization model which is used to calculate the quantization parameter for an intra frame encoding based on the investigation on the characteristics of a GOP. It is shown by experimental results that the proposed quantization model captures the characteristics of an intra frame effectively and the proposed method for model parameters accurately estimates the real values.
- Z. Chen and K. N. Ngan, "Recent advances in rate control for video coding," Signal Process. : Image Commun., vol. 22, Jan. 2007, pp. 19-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.image.2006.11.002
- Y.-J. Shin, N.-R. Son, N. D. Toan, and G.-S. Lee, "H.264/AVC to MPEG-2 Video Transcoding by using Motion Vector Clustering," J. of the Korea Institute of Electronic Communication Science, vol. 5, no. 1, 2010, pp. 23-30.
- S.-W. Kwak, H. Choi, and J.-M. Yang, "A Real-time Video Transferring and Localization System in HSPDA Network," J. of the Korea Institute of Electronic Communication Science, vol. 7, no. 1, 2012, pp. 21-26.
- H. Yun, Y. Seo, H. Choi, and D. Kim, "High-speed Intra Prediction Method for H.264/AVC," J. of the Korea Institute of Information and Communication Engineering, vol. 10, no. 7, 2006, pp. 1172-1179.
- T. Wiegand, H. Schwarz, A. Joch, F. Kossentini, and G. J. Sullivan, "Rate-constrained coder control and comparison of video coding standards," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. Video Technol., vol. 7, July 2003, pp. 688-703.
- K. Lim, G. Sullivan, and T. Wiegand, "Text Description of Joint Model Reference Encoding Methods and Decoding Concealment Methods," JVT-W057, San Jose, CA, Apr. 2007.
- H. Wang and S. Kwong, "Rate-Distortion Optimization of Rate Control for H.264 With Adaptive Initial Quantization Parameter Determination," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. Video Technol., vol. 18, no. 1, Jan. 2008, pp. 140-144. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2007.913757
- S.-H. Park, "Initial QP Modeling for GOP Layer Rate Control," J. of the Korea Institute of Electronic Communication Science, vol. 7, no. 6, 2012, pp. 1377-1383.
- P. C. Young, Recursive Estimation and Time-Series Analysis. Berlin : Springer-Verlag, pp. 29-45, 2011.