- Volume 9 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
A Quantitative Reliability Analysis of FPGA-based Controller for applying to Nuclear Instrumentation and Control System
원전적용을 위한 FPGA 기반 제어기의 정량적 신뢰도 평가
- Received : 2014.09.01
- Accepted : 2014.10.17
- Published : 2014.10.31
Nuclear industries have faced unfavorable circumstances such as an obsolescence of the instrumentation and control system, and therefore nuclear society is striving to resolve this trouble fundamentally. FPGAs are currently highlighted as an alternative means for obsolete control systems. Because of the obsolescence-unaffected characteristics, FPGA should be highly reliable in order to be a replacement for PLC (Programmable Logic Controller). Therefore, it is necessary to establish a software development aspect strategy that enhances the reliability of an FPGA-based controller. The reliability analysis including the MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) is carried out based on the MIL-HDBK-217F. MTBFs are compared with the FPGA-based controller COMMON-Q PLC. As an analysis result, it shows that the reliability of the FPGA-based controller is better than or equal to that of PLC.
Grant : SMART 안전성향상을 위한 MMIS 연구
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- J. Lee, "Design and Verification Process for Developing the FPGA-Based Firmware for NPPs," 1st IAEA Workshop on Applications of Field-Programmable Gate Arrays in Nuclear Power Plants, Paris, France, Oct. 2008.
- J. Lee, "Design Experience for FPGA-based Bistable module of Reactor Protection System," 4th IAEA Workshop on Applications of Field-Programmable Gate Arrays in Nuclear Power Plants, Paris, France, Sept. 2011.
- J. Lee and Y. Kim, "Design and Verification of FPGA-Based Applications in Nuclear Power Plants," J. of Energy and Power Engineering, vol. 7, no. 3, 2013, pp. 537-544.
- K. Sohn, W. Yi, J. Lee, and I. Koo, "Protection and Control with FPGA," The 18th Pacific Basin Nuclear Conference (PBNC 2012), Busan, Korea, Mar. 2012.
- J. Lee, K. Jeong, G. Park, and K. Sohn, "Design and Qualification of FPGA-based Controller applying HPD Development Life-Cycle for Nuclear Instrumentation and Control System," J. of the Korea Institute of Electronic Communication Sciences, vol. 9, no. 6, 2014, pp. 681-687. https://doi.org/10.13067/JKIECS.2014.9.6.681
- J. Hong, "A Study on Dual System for Fault Tolerance of PLC," J. of the Korea Institute of Electronic Communication Sciences, vol. 6, no. 3, 2011, pp. 397-404.
- I. Koo, K. Kim, S. Hong, G. Park, and J. Park, "Digital Asset Analysis Methodology against Cyber Threat to Instrumentation and Control System in Nuclear Power Plants," J. of the Korea Institute of Electronic Communication Sciences, vol. 6, no. 6, 2011, pp. 839-847.
- J. Yoo and J. Kim, Reliability Analysis of PLC Safety System. Daejeon : KAERI/CM-933, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute, 2005.