- Volume 47 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Practical Application of the Remote Monitoring System for Water Salinity in Estuary Lake During Farming Season
- Lee, Kyung-Do ;
- Hong, Suk-Young ;
- Kim, Yi-Hyun ;
- Na, Sang-Il ;
- Oh, Young-Jin
- Received : 2014.10.06
- Accepted : 2014.10.24
- Published : 2014.10.31
The remote monitoring system of water salinity was assessed in Wando reclaimed land lake during a farming season in 2009. Increasing of water salinity in this lake used to bring about salt damage on rice plant occasionally. At the early stage of the rice growing period, rice growth was not damaged due to enough rainfall with more than 120 mm from the mid-May to the first ten days of June. Data collection using on-site water salinity measuring sensors every 2 hours and real-time transmission in system were carried out for the experiment. We compared the transmitted values from the sensor system with water sample values collected and analyzed by a local technical office. Salt concentrations measured by sensor in real-time monitoring system were available data. The regression equation between rainfall and water salinity was presented as (water salinity after rainfall) =
Water salinity;Remote monitoring;Reclaimed land lake
- Kang, Y.M. 1993. Reclamation engineering. Hyangmunsa, Seoul, Koea.
- Afferden, M. and A.M. Hansen. 2004. Forecast of lake volume and salt concentration in Lake Chapala. Mexico. Awuat. Sci. 66:257-265.
- Chapra, S.C. 1997. Surface water quality modeling, p. 95-112. McGraw-Hill, US.
- Hwang, S.J., H.S. Kim, M.H. Chung, and C.I. Choi. 2003. Water quality and chlorophyll-a at the birth stage of a large reclaimed estuarine lake in Korea(Lake Hwaong). Korean J. Limnol. 36:455-462.
- KRCC. 2005. Research for the salt damage prediction system development of the fresh water reservoir at the reclaimed tideland. Korea Rural Community Corporation. pp. 197.
- Kwun, S.K., M.J. Yu, K.W. Bang, D.K. Koh. 1990. A study on water quality modeling and control of eutrophication for estuary reservoir. Journal of the korean society of civil engineers 10(4):159-171.
- Kwun, S.K., C.S. Kang, D.K. Koh, H.S. Kim, J.K. Noh, S.J. Park, S.W. Park, J.W. Song, M.P. Shim, H.S. Woo, K.C. Lee, and J.Y. Choi. 2008. Humans and water, p. 233-271. first ed., Seoul National University Press, Korea.
- Lee, Y.G., K.G. Ah, P.T. Ha, K.Y. Lee, J.H. Kang, S.M. Cha, K.H. Cho, Y.S. Lee, I.S. Chang, K.W. Kim, J.H. Kim. 2009. Decadal and seasonal scale changes of an artificial lake environment after blocking tidal flows in the Yeongsan Estuary region, Korea. Science of the Total Environment 407:6063-6072. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2009.08.031
- Lim, J.W., S.K. Kwun. 1989. Development and application of a multiple box water quality model for estuary reservoirs. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers. 31(4):111-122.
- Lim, K.H., J.O. Kim. 2001. Estimation of nonpoint pollution load flow into lake with a AGNPS watershed model. Journal of environmental research 1(1):115-123.
- Sung, C.H, 2010. Modeling spatial and temporal variations of salinity in the iwon estuary reservoir using HSPF and EFDC. Ph. D. diss., Seoul National University, Korea .
- Newton, A. and S.M. Mudge. 2003. Temperature and salinity regimes in a shallow, mesotidal lagoon, the Ria Formosa, Portugal. Estuarine. Coastal and Shelf Science 57:73-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0272-7714(02)00332-3
- RDA. 2007. Study on agricultural foundation in reclaimed land. Research report. Rural Development Administration.
- Shin, J.K., S.J. Hwang, and C.G. Yoon. 2006. Spatial structure and seasonal variation of temperature and salinity in the early stage of reclaimed brackish lake(Hwaong reservoir). Korean J. Limnol. 39(3):352-365.
- Thornton, K.W., B.L. Kimmel, and F.E. Payne. 1990. Reservoir limnology, p. 45-63. John Wiley & Sons, Inc, US.
- Yoon, K.S., S.M. Choi, H.M. Yang, K.H. Han, K.S. Han. 2001. Prediction of the pollutant loading into estuary lake according to non-cultivation and cultivation conditions of reclaimed tidal land. Rural plan 7(1):27-36.
Grant : Research Program for Agricultural Science & Technology Development
Supported by : Rural Development Administration