- Volume 14 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Oral Health Care Program Based on Motivational Interviewing
동기면담을 적용한 구강 관리 프로그램의 효과
- Received : 2014.05.02
- Accepted : 2014.07.01
- Published : 2014.09.30
The purpose of this study is to use basic data of dental hygiene curriculum with a new technique called motivational interviewing of communication skill to demonstrate the effectiveness of the method of oral health care. In this study, we performed oral health care program that has been made in dental hygiene department to university students. It was assigned to the control group and 66 and 32 experimental group based on the date of the first visit time. It conducted motivational interviewing of a total of three times in the experimental group. The analytical results of the measurements obtained in the oral examination and questionnaires. The results were as follows: The experimental group measured value was reduced after the intervention compared to before the PSR to evaluate the state of periodontal, gingival index, calculus index, plaque control record (PCR; O'Leary plaque index), simple plaque scor of Quantitative Light Induced Fluorescnece Digital measurement value (p<0.05). Experimental group decreased more and more the result of changes in the reduction of the average of the PCR. But control group was reduced to 3 weeks and increased back to the middle 16 weeks. There was also support interaction between the measurement point and the groups (p<0.05). Re-visit adherence of fit, 12.1% in the control group, the experimental group was 43.7% in the period of participation in the oral health care program. Thus, visit adherence of the experimental group was higher. In this study, a group that has motivational interviewing, It was able to confirm the improvement of oral health state. Discussion of the motivational interviewing can be applied to oral health care program.
Motivational interviewing;Motivational interviewing program;Oral health care program
- Han SJ, Hwang YS, Yoo JS, Kim YS: A study on oral health awareness, oral health behavior and dental caries among low socio-economic status children: the cases of local childrenʼs center in Incheon. J Dent Hyg Sci 8: 147-153, 2008.
- Kushnir D, Zusman SP, Robinson PG: Validation of a hebrew version of the oral health impact profile 14. J Public Health Dent 64: 71-75, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-7325.2004.tb02730.x
- Ramiseier CA, Suvan JE: Health behavior change in the dental practice. 1st ed. Wiley-Blackwell, Iowa, pp.24-58, 2010.
- Schmid MO, Salmelli OP: Plaque-removing effect of a toothbrush, dental floss, and a toothpick. J Clin Peridontol 3: 157-165, 1976. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.1976.tb01863.x
- Miller WR: Motivational interviewing with problem drinkers. Behav Ther 11: 147-172, 1983.
- Rollnick S, Heather N, Bell A: Negotiating behavior change in medical settings: the development of brief motivational interviewing. J Mental Health 1: 25-37, 1992. https://doi.org/10.3109/09638239209034509
- Carl RR. Counseling and psychotherapy: newer concepts in practice, Hakjisa, Seoul, pp.515-517, 2000.
- Prochaska JO, Diclemente CC, Norcross JC: In search of how people change: applications to addictive behaviors. American Psychologist 47: 1102-1114, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.47.9.1102
- Miller WR, Rollnick S: Motivational interviewing-helping people change. 3th ed. Guilford Pubn, New York, pp.1-29, 2012.
- Rollnick S, Butler CC, Jim MC, Paul K, Elwyn G: Consultations about changing behaviour. BMJ 331: 961-963, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.331.7522.961
- Miller WR, Rollnick S: Motivational interviewing-preparing people for change. 2th ed. Guilford Pub, New York, pp.35- 40, 2002.
- Weinstein P, Harrison R, Benton T: Motivating parents to prevent caries: confirming the beneficial effect of counseling. J Am Dent Assoc 137: 789-793, 2006. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.2006.0291
- Park MS, Kim JH: A study on awareness of dental treatment and oral health management during the period of pregnancy -focusing on women of childbearing ages and women of childbirth experience-. J Dent Hyg Sci 9: 231-239, 2009.
- Rubak S, Sandbaek A, Laurritzen T: Motivational interviewing: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Brit J Gen Pract 55: 305-312, 2005.
- Koerber A, Crawford J, O'Connell K: The effects of teaching dental students brief motivational interviewing for smokingcessation counseling: a pliot study. J Dent Educ 67: 439-447, 2003.
- Jimenez M, Krall EA, Garcia RI, Vokonas PS, Dietrich T: Periodontitis and incidence of cerebrovascular disease in men. Ann Neurol 66: 505-512, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1002/ana.21742
- Bledsoe LK: Smoking cessation: an application of theory of planned behavior to understanding progress through stages of change. Addict Behav 31: 1271-1276, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2005.08.012
- Lalic M, Aleksic E, Gajic M, Millic J, Malesevic D: Does oral health counseling effectively improve oral hygiene of orthodontic patients? Eur J Paediatr Dent 13: 181-186, 2012.
- Godard A, Dufour T, Feanne S: Application of self-regulation theory and motivational interview for improving oral hygiene: a randomized controlled trial. J Clin Periodontol 38: 1099- 1105, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.2011.01782.x
- Weinstein P, Harrison R, Benton T: Motivating parents to prevent caries in their young children (one-year findings). J Am Dent Assoc 135: 731-738, 2004. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.2004.0299
- Weinstein P: Motivational interviewing concepts and the relationship to risk management and patient counseling. J Calif Dent Assoc 39: 742-745, 2011.
- Harrison R, Wong T: An oral health promotion program for an urban minority population of preschool children. Community Den Oral Epidemiol 31: 392-399, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0528.2003.00001.x
- Jonsson B, Lindberg P, Oscarson N: Improved compliance and self-care in patients with periodontitis-a randomized control trial. Int J Dent Hyg 4: 77-83, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1601-5037.2006.00175.x
- Harrison R, Bention T, Everson S, Winstein P: Effect of motivational interviewing on rates of early childhood caries: a randomized trial. Periatric Dent 29: 16-22, 2007.
- Harrison R, Veronneau J, Leroux B: Design and implementation of a dental caries prevention trial in remote Canadian aboriginal communities. Trials 11: 1-9, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1186/1745-6215-11-1
- Harrison RL, Veronneau J, Leroux B: Effectiveness of maternal counseling in reducing caries in cree children. J Dent Res 91: 1032-1037, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022034512459758