- Volume 24 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Lycopene-Induced Hydroxyl Radical Causes Oxidative DNA Damage in Escherichia coli
- Lee, Wonyoung (School of Life Sciences, BK 21 Plus KNU Creative BioResearch Group, College of Natural Sciences, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Lee, Dong Gun (School of Life Sciences, BK 21 Plus KNU Creative BioResearch Group, College of Natural Sciences, Kyungpook National University)
- Received : 2014.06.03
- Accepted : 2014.07.10
- Published : 2014.09.28
Lycopene, which is a well-known red carotenoid pigment, has been drawing scientific interest because of its potential biological functions. The current study reports that lycopene acts as a bactericidal agent by inducing reactive oxygen species (ROS)-mediated DNA damage in Escherichia coli. Lycopene treatment elevated the level of ROS-in particular, hydroxyl radicals (
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- Arias CA, Murray BE. 2009. Antibiotic-resistant bugs in the 21st century - a clinical super-challenge. N. Engl. J. Med. 360: 439-443. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp0804651
- Basu A, Imrhan V. 2007. Tomatoes versus lycopene in oxidative stress and carcinogenesis: conclusions from clinical trials. Eur. J. Clin. Nutr. 61: 295-303.
- Brynildsen MP, Winkler JA, Spina CS, MacDonald IS, Collins JJ. 2013. Potentiating antibacterial activity by predictably enhancing endogenous microbial ROS production. Nat. Biotechnol. 31: 160-165. https://doi.org/10.1038/nbt.2458
- Chandra RV, Prabhuji ML, Roopa DA, Ravirajan S, Kishore HC. 2008. Efficacy of lycopene in the treatment of gingivitis: a randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial. J. Nutr. 138: 49-53. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/138.1.49
- Chen J, Jin K, Chen M, Pei W, Kawaguchi K, Greenberg DA, Simon RP. 1997. Early detection of DNA strand breaks in the brain after transient focal ischemia: implications for the role of DNA damage in apoptosis and neuronal cell death. J. Neurochem. 69: 232-245.
- Costa V, Moradas-Ferreira P. 2001. Oxidative stress and signal transduction in Saccharomyces cerevisiae: insights in to aging, apoptosis and disease. Mol. Aspects Med. 22: 217-246. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0098-2997(01)00012-7
- Cozzi R, Ricordy R, Aglitti T, Gatta V, Perticone P, De Salvia R. 1997. Ascorbic acid and beta-carotene as modulators of oxidative damage Carcinogenesis 18: 223-228. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/18.1.223
- Cui J, Holmes EH, Greene TG, Liu PK. 2000. Oxidative DNA damage precedes DNA fragmentation after experimental stroke in rat brain. FASEB J. 14: 955-967. https://doi.org/10.1096/fasebj.14.7.955
- Daniel B, DeCoster MA. 2004. Quantification of sPSA-2 induced early and late apoptosis changes in neuronal cell cultures using combined TUNEL and DAPI staining. Brain Res. Protoc. 13: 144-150. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.brainresprot.2004.04.001
- Ferullo DJ, Lovett ST. 2008. The stringent response and cell cycle arrest in Escherichia coli. PLoS Genet. 4: e1000300. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pgen.1000300
- Foti JJ, Devadoss B, Winkler JA, Collins JJ, Walker GC. 2012. Oxidation of the guanine nucleotide pool underlies cell death by bactericidal antibiotics. Science 334: 315-319.
- Furuya EY, Lowy FD. 2006. Antimicrobial-resistant bacteria in the community setting. Nat. Rev. Microbiol. 4: 36-45. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrmicro1325
- Han CH, Yang CH, Sohn DW, Kim SW, Kang SH, Cho YH. 2008. Synergistic effect between lycopene and ciprofloxacin on a chronic bacterial prostatitis rat model. Int. J. Antimicrob. Agents 31: 102-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijantimicag.2007.07.016
- Huang D, Shenoy A, Cui JK, Huang W, Liu PK. 2000. In situ detection of AP sites and DNA strand breaks with 3'- phosphate ends in ischemic mouse brain. FASEB J. 14: 407-417. https://doi.org/10.1096/fasebj.14.2.407
- Kaper JB, Nataro JP, Mobley HL. 2004. Pathogenic Escherichia coli. Nat. Rev. Microbiol. 2: 123-140. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrmicro818
- Kaufmann WK, Paules RS. 1996. DNA damage and cell cycle checkpoints. FASEB J. 10: 238-347. https://doi.org/10.1096/fasebj.10.2.8641557
- Klepser ME, Ernst EJ, Lewis RE, Ernst ME, Pfaller MA. 1998. Influence of test conditions on antifungal time-kill curve results: proposal for standardized methods. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 42: 1207-1212.
- Kohanski MA, Dwyer DJ, Hayete B, Lawrence CA, Collins JJ. 2007. A common mechanism of cellular death induced by bactericidal antibiotics. Cell 130: 797-810. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2007.06.049
- Lowe GM, Booth LA, Young AJ, Bilton RF. 1999. Lycopene and beta-carotene protect against oxidative damage in HT29 cells at low concentrations but rapidly lose this capacity at higher doses. Free Radic. Res. 30: 141-151. https://doi.org/10.1080/10715769900300151
- Madeo F, Fröhlich E, Fröhlich KU. 1997. A yeast mutant showing diagnostic markers of early and late apoptosis. J. Cell Biol. 139: 729-734. https://doi.org/10.1083/jcb.139.3.729
- Miller C, Thomsen LE, Gaggero C, Mosseri R, Ingmer H, Cohen SN. 2004. SOS response induction by beta-lactams and bacterial defense against antibiotic lethality. Science 305: 1629-1631. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1101630
- Phillips AJ, Sudbery I, Ramsdale M. 2003. Apoptosis induced by environmental stresses and amphothericin B in Candida albicans. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 100: 14327-14332. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.2332326100
- Sanchez L. 2001. TCA protein precipitation. Protocols on line.
- Sharma V, Sakai Y, Smythe KA, Yokobayashi Y. 2012. Knockdown of recA gene expression by artificial small RNAs in Escherichia coli. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 430: 256-259.
- Shkilnyj P, Koudelka MP, Koudelka GB. 2013. Bacteriophage 434 Hex protein prevents RecA-mediated repressor autocleavage. Viruses 5: 111-126. https://doi.org/10.3390/v5010111
- Sung WS, Lee IS, Lee DG. 2007. Damage to the cytoplasmic membrane and cell death caused by lycopene in Candida albicans. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 17: 1797-1804.
- Tzur A, Kafri R, LeBleu VS, Lahav G, Kirschner MW. 2009. Cell growth and size homeostasis in proliferating animal cells. Science 325: 167-171. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1174294
- Zelezetsky I, Pacor S, Pag U, Papo N, Shai Y, Sahl HG, Tossi A. 2005. Controlled alteration of the shape and conformational stability of alpha-helical cell-lytic peptides: effect on mode of action and cell specificity. Biochem. J. 390: 177-188. https://doi.org/10.1042/BJ20042138
- Zunino SJ, Ducore JM, Storms DH. 2007. Parthenolide induces significant apoptosis and production of reactive oxygen species in high-risk pre-B leukemia cells. Cancer Lett. 254: 119-127. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2007.03.002