- Volume 9 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Experimental and Analytical Study on the Bus Duct System for the Prediction of Temperature Variations Due To the Fluctuation of Load
- Thirumurugaveerakumar, S. ;
- Sakthivel, M. ;
- Valarmathi, S.
- Received : 2014.02.13
- Accepted : 2014.04.18
- Published : 2014.11.01
In this paper, a thermal model is developed for the bus bar system to predict the temperature variation during the transient time period and to calculate both the steady-state and transient electrical current carrying capacity (ampacity) of bus bar. The bus bar system installed in the power house of Kumaraguru College of Technology, Coimbatore has been considered. Temperature variation predicted in the modelling is validated by observing the current and steady state temperatures in different feeders of the bus bar. Magnetic field of the extreme phases R and B induces more current in the middle phase Y. Hence, the steady state temperature in the phase Y is greater than other two phases. The transient capabilities of the bus bar are illustrated by calculating the variations in the bus bar temperature when it is subjected to a step change in current during the peak hours due to increase in hostel utilities and facilities (5.30 pm to 10.30 pm). The physical and geometrical properties of the bus bar and temperature variation in the bus bar are used to estimate the thermal time constants for common bus bar cross-sections. An analytical expression for the time constant of the bus bar is derived.
Air insulated bus bar;Heat transfer;Temperature rise;Current carrying capacity;Mathematical model development
- K. W. E. Cheng, S. L. Ho, Y. Li, X. Lin, and H. C. Wong, "A 3-D Study of Eddy Current Field and Temperature Rises in a Compact Bus Duct System", IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 42, No. 4, pp. 987-990, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2006.871632
- Hong-Kyu Kim, Yeon-Ho Oh, Se-Hee Lee, "Calculation of Temperature Rise in Gas Insulated Bus bar by Coupled Magneto-Thermal-Fluid Analysis", Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology Vol. 4, No. 4, pp. 510-514, 2009. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2009.4.4.510
- GAURAV GURU, N P GULHANE, KAPIL BAVIKAR, "Prediction of temperature rise in the bus bar of switch gear using CFD", international journal of mechanical and production engineering (IJMPE) ISSN 2315-4489, Vol-1,Iss-1,2012.
- Wu Anbo, Chen Degui, Wang Jianhua, Cai Bin, Geng Yingsan, "Evaluation of Thermal Performance for Air Insulated Bus bar Trunking System by Coupled Magneto-Fluid-Thermal Fields", National Science Foundation, pp. 2159-2163, 2002.
- S.W.Kim, H.H.Kim, S.C.Hahn, B.Y. Lee, K.Y. Park, Y.J. Shin, W.P. Song, J.B. Kim and I.H. Sin, "Coupled Finite-Element-Analytic Technique for Predication of Temperature Rise in Power Apparatus", IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 38, No. 2, pp. 921-924, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/20.996237
- J. Burnett, Y. Du, Z.C. Fu, "Experimental and numerical evaluation of bus bar trunking impedance", Electric Power System Research, Vol. 55 pp. 113-119, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7796(99)00104-2
- G. Dimities Triantafylidis, S. Petros Dokopoulos, P. Dimitris Labridis, "Parametric Short-Circuit Force Analysis of Three-Phase Bus bars-A Fully Automated Finite Element Approach", IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, Vol. 18, pp. 531-537, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2002.804570
- Joong Kyoung Kim, Sung Chin Hahn, Kyong Yop Park, Hong Kyu Kim, Yeon Ho Oh, "Temperature Rise Prediction of EHV GIS Bus Bar by Coupled Magneto thermal Finite Element Method" IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 41, No. 5, pp. 1636-1639, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2005.846117
- Amol Gujar, DN Raut, Pallavi Yadav, "Thermal analysis of switch board for design optimization", 2nd International Conference on Emerging Trends in Engineering & Technology, College of Engineering, Teerthanker Mahaveer University., April 12, 13, 2013.
- A 3-D Steady-State Analysis of Thermal Behavior in EHV GIS Busbar vol.11, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2016.11.3.781