- Volume 9 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Dynamic Analysis and Controller Design for Standalone Operation of Photovoltaic Power Conditioners with Energy Storage
- Park, Sun-Jae ;
- Shin, Jong-Hyun ;
- Park, Joung-Hu ;
- Jeon, Hee-Jong
- Received : 2014.03.07
- Accepted : 2014.07.05
- Published : 2014.11.01
Energy storage devices are necessary to obtain stable utilization of renewable energy sources. When black-out occurs, distributed renewable power sources with energy storage devices can operate under standalone mode as uninterruptable power supply. This paper proposes a dynamic response analysis with small-signal modeling for the standalone operation of a photovoltaic power generation system that includes a bidirectional charger/discharger with a battery. Furthermore, it proposes a DC-link voltage controller design of the entire power conditioning system, using the storage current under standalone operation. The purpose of this controller is to guarantee the stable operation of the renewable source and the storage subsystem, with the power conversion of a very efficient bypass-type PCS. This paper presents the operating principle and design guidelines of the proposed scheme, along with performance analysis and simulation. Finally, a hardware prototype of 1-kW power conditioning system with an energy storage device is implemented, for experimental verification of the proposed converter system.
Standalone;Photovoltaic power generator;Energy storage;Power conditioner;Dynamic response model;Small-signal model;Controller design
- Do-Hyun Kim, Jong-Ho Jang, Joung-Hu Park, Jung- Won Kim "Single-Ended High-Efficiency Step-up Converter Using the Isolated Switched-Capacitor Cell," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 13, No. 5, pp. 766-778, Sept. 2013. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2013.13.5.766
- Ahmet Teke, Mohammad Barghi Latran, Giovanni Spagnulolo, "Review of Multifunctional Inverter Topologies and Control Schemes Used in Distributed Generation Systems," Journal of Power Electronics, pp. 324-340, Mar. 2013. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2014.14.2.324
- Omran, W. A., Kazerani, M., Salama, M. M. A., "Investigation of Methods for Reduction of Power Fluctuations Generated From Large Grid-Connected Photovoltaic Systems", Energy Conversion IEEE Transactions on, pp. 318-327, March 2011.
- Sun-Jae Park, Joung-Hu Park, Hee-Jong Jeon, "Controller design of grid-connected power conditioning system with energy storage device", international conference on Electrical Machines and systems 2011, Beijing, China, 20-24 Aug. 2011.
- Sitterly, M., Le Yi Wang, Yin, G.G., Caisheng Wang, "Enhanced Identification of Battery Models for Real- Time Battery Management", Sustainable Energy IEEE Transactions on, pp. 300-308, July 2011.
- Yao, D.L., Choi, S.S., Tseng, K.J., Lie, T.T., "Determination of Short-Term Power Dispatch Schedule for a Wind Farm Incorporated with Dual-Battery Energy Storage Scheme", Sustainable Energy IEEE Transactions on, pp. 74-84, Jan. 2012.
- Kakigano, H., Miura, Y., Ise, T., "Low-Voltage Bipolar-Type DC Microgrid for Super High Quality Distribution", Power Electronics, IEEE Transactions on, pp. 3066-3075, Dec. 2010.
- Hongfei Wu, Runruo Chen, Junjun Zhang, Yan Xing, Haibing Hu, Hongjuan Ge, "A Family of Three-Port Half-Bridge Converters for a Standalone Renewable Power System", Power Electronics IEEE Transactions on, pp. 2697-2706, Sept. 2011.
- Kai Sun, Li Zhang, Yan Xing, Guerrero, J.M., "A Distributed Control Strategy Based on DC Bus Signaling for Modular Photovoltaic Generation Systems with Battery Energy Storage", Power Electronics, IEEE Transactions on, pp. 3032-3045, Oct. 2011.
- Hao Qian, Jianhui Zhang, Jih-Sheng Lai, Wensong Yu, "A High-Efficiency Grid-Tie Battery Energy Storage System", Power Electronics IEEE Transactions on, pp. 886-896, March 2011.
- Vilalva, M.G., de Siquerira, T.G., Ruppert, E., "Voltage regulation of photovoltaic arrays: small-signal analysis and control design" Power Electronics, IET, pp. 869-880, Nov. 2010.
- Barrade, P., Delalay, S., Rufer, A., "Direct Connection of Supercapacitors to Photovoltaic Panels With On-Off Maximum Power Point Tracking", Sustainable Energy, IEEE Transactions on, pp. 283-294, April 2012.
- J. H. Park, J. Y. Ahn, B. H. Cho and G. J. Yu, "Dual-Module-Based Maximum Power Tracking Control of Photovoltaic Systems," Industrial Electronics, IEEE Transaction on, Vol. 53, No. 4, AUG 2006, pp. 1036-1047. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2006.878330
- Minsoo Jang, Agelidis, V. G., "A Minimum Power- Processing-Stage Fuel-Cell Energy System Based on a Boost-Inverter with a Bidirectional Backup Battery Storage", Power Electronics IEEE Transactions on, pp. 1568-1577, May 2011.
- Maharjan, L., Yamagishi, T., Akagi, H., "Active- Power Control of Individual Converter Cells for a Battery Energy Storage System Based on a Multilevel Cascade PWM Converter", Power Electronics IEEE Transactions on, pp. 1099-1107, March 2012.
- Liming Liu, Hui Li, Zhichao Wu, Yan Zhou, "A Cascaded Photovoltaic System Integrating Segmented Energy Storages With Self-Regulating Power Allocation Control and Wide Range Reactive Power Compensation", Power Electronics, IEEE Transactions on, pp. 3545-3559, Dec. 2011.
- Zhi Jian Zhou, Xing Zhang, Po Xu, and Weixiang X. Shen, "Single-Phase Uninterruptible Power Supply Based on Z-Source Inverter," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 55, no. 8, august 2008, pp. 2997-3004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.924202
- Aharon, I., Kuperman, A., "Topological Overview of Powertrains for Battery-Powered Vehicles with Range Extenders", Power Electronics IEEE Transactions on, pp. 868-876, March 2011.
- Zhongqiu Wang, Xi Li, Gengyin Li, Ming Zhou, Lo, K.L., "Energy storage control for the Photovoltaic generation system in a micro-grid", Critical Infrastructure (CRIS), 2010 5th International Conference on, pp. 1-5, Sept. 2010.
- Sergio Augusto Oliveira da Silva, Pedro Francisco Donoso-Garcia, Porfirio Cabaleiro Cortizo, and Paulo Fernando Seixas, "A Three-Phase Line-Interactive UPS System Implementation With Series-Parallel Active Power-Line Conditioning Capabilities," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 38, no. 6, November/December 2002, pp. 1581-1590 https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2002.804760
- Chia-Chou Yeh, and Madhav D. Manjrekar, "A Reconfigurable Uninterruptible Power Supply System for Multiple Power Quality Applications," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 22, no. 4, JULY 2007, pp. 1361-1372. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2007.900486
- Sun-Jae Park, Hwa-Seok Lee, Chan-In Kim, Joung- Hu Park, Hee-Jong Jeon, and Jeongduk Ryeom, "Controller Design of a Novel Power Conditioning System with an Energy Storage Device forRenewable Energy Sources under Grid-Connected Operation," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 13, No. 3, May 2013, pp. 390-399. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2013.13.3.390
- S. Makhloufi, R. Abdessemed, "Type-2 Fuzzy Logic Optimum PV/inverter Sizing Ratio for Grid-connected PV Systems," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, Vol. 6, No. 6, Nov. 2011, pp. 731-741. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2011.6.6.731
- Park, Sun-Jae, Mun, Sol, Park, Joung-Hu, Jeon, Hee-Jong, "Controller design of power conditioning systems with energy storage device for renewable energy source under standalone operation", Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition, pp. 1967-1972, Feb. 2012.
- Least Power Point Tracking Method for Photovoltaic Differential Power Processing Systems vol.32, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2016.2556746
- Bidirectional Power Conversion of Isolated Switched-Capacitor Topology for Photovoltaic Differential Power Processors vol.16, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2016.16.5.1629
- A New Low-Cost Centralized MPPT Controller System for Multiply Distributed Photovoltaic Power Conditioning Modules vol.6, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2015.2439037
- Flexible System Architecture of Stand-Alone PV Power Generation With Energy Storage Device vol.30, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2015.2429145
- High Efficiency High-Step-up Single-ended DC-DC Converter with Small Output Voltage Ripple vol.15, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.6.1468
- Photovoltaic Modified β-Parameter-based MPPT Method with Fast Tracking vol.16, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2016.16.1.9
Supported by : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning