- Volume 9 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Power Tracking Control of Domestic Induction Heating System using Pulse Density Modulation Scheme with the Fuzzy Logic Controller
- Nagarajan, Booma ;
- Sathi, Rama Reddy ;
- Vishnuram, Pradeep
- Received : 2013.12.26
- Accepted : 2014.06.06
- Published : 2014.11.01
Power requirement to the induction heating system varies during the heating process. A closed loop control is required to have a smooth control over the power. In this work, a constant frequency pulse density modulation based power tracking control scheme for domestic induction heating system is developed using the Fuzzy Logic Controller. In the conventional power modulation schemes, the switching losses increase with the change in the load. The proposed pulse density modulation scheme maintains minimum switching losses for the entire load range. This scheme is implemented for the class-D series resonant inverter system. Fuzzy logic controller based power tracking control scheme is developed for domestic induction heating power supply for various power settings. The open loop and closed loop simulation studies are done using the MATLAB/Simulink simulation tool. The control logic is implemented in hardware using the PIC16F877A microcontroller. Fuzzy controller tracks the set power by changing the pulse density of the gate pulses applied to the inverter. The results obtained are used to know the effectiveness of the fuzzy logic controller to achieve the set power.
Closed loop control;Fuzzy logic controller;Induction heating;Pulse density modulation
- J. Acero, J. M. Burdio, L.A, Barragan, D. Navarro, R. Alonso, J. R. Garcia, F. Monterde, P. Hernandez, S. Llorente, and I. Garde, "The domestic induction heating appliance: An overview of recent research," in Proc. Appl. Power Electron. Conf. Expo., 2008, pp. 651-657.
- N. J. Park, D. Y. Lee, and D. S. Hyun, "A powercontrol scheme with constant switching frequency in class-D inverter for induction-heating jar application," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electroics, Vol. 54, No. 3, pp. 1252- 260, June 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.892741
- O. Lucia, J. M. Burdio, I. Millan, J. Acero, and L. A. Barragan, "Efficiency oriented design of ZVS halfbridge series resonant inverter with variable frequency duty cycle control," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 1671-1674, July 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2042461
- H. Sarnago, A. Mediano, and O. Lucia, "High efficiency ac-ac power electronic converter applied to domestic induction heating," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 3676-3684, August 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2185067
- B. Saha, K. Soon Kurl, N. A. Ahmed, H. Omori, and M. Nakaoka, "Commercial frequency AC to high frequency AC converter with boost-active clamp bridge single stage ZVS-PWM inverter," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 412-419, January 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2007.911871
- O. Lucia, J. M. Burdio, L. A. Barragan, J. Acero, and C. Carretero, "Series resonant multi-inverter with discontinuous-mode control for improved light-load operation," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 58, no. 11, pp. 5163-5171, November 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2126541
- V. Esteve, E. Sanchis-Kilders, J. Jordan, E. J. Dede, C. Cases, E. Maset, J. B. Ejea, and A. Ferreres, "Improving the efficiency of IGBT series resonant inverters using pulse density modulation," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 979-987, March 2011.
- O. Lucia, J. M. Burdio, I. Millan, J. Acero, and L. A. Barragan, "Efficiency-oriented design of ZVS half-bridge series resonant inverter with variable frequency duty cycle control," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 1671-1674, Jul. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2042461
- N. A. Ahmed and M. Nakaoka, "Boost-half-bridge edge resonant soft switching PWM high-frequency inverter for consumer induction heating appliances," IEE Proc. Electr. Power Appl., vol. 153, no. 6, pp. 932-938, Nov. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-epa:20060086
- H. Pham, H. Fujita, K. Ozaki, and N. Uchida, "Phase angle control of high-frequency resonant currents in a multiple inverter system for zone-control induction heating," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 26, no. 11, pp. 3357-3366, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2146278
- C. Carretero, O. Lucia, J. Acero, and J. M. Burdio, "Phase-shift control of dual half-bridge inverter feeding coupled loads for induction heating purposes," Electronics Letters, vol. 47, no. 11, pp. 670- 671, May 2011. https://doi.org/10.1049/el.2011.1114
- O. Lucia, L. A. Barragan, J. M. Burdio, O. Jimenez, D. Navarro, and I. Urriza, "A versatile power electronics test-bench architecture applied to domestic induction heating," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 998-1007, March 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2048840
- O. Lucia, J. M. Burdio, I. Millan, J. Acero, and D. Puyal, "Load-adaptive control algorithm of halfbridge series resonant inverter for domestic induction heating," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 56, no. 8, pp. 3106-3116, August 2009.
- J. K. Byun, K. Choi, H. S. Roh, and S. Y. Hahn, "Optimal design procedure for a practical induction heating cooker," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 36, No. 4, pp. 1390-1393, Jul. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/20.877698
- O. Lucia, C. Carretero, D. Palacios, D. Valeau, and J. M. Burdio, "Configurable snubber network for efficiency optimization of resonant converters applied to multi-load induction heating," Electronics Letters., vol. 47, no. 17, pp. 989-991, Aug. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1049/el.2011.1711
- D. J. Tschirhart and P. K. Jain, "A CLL resonant asymmetrical pulse width modulated converter with improved efficiency", in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics,Vol. 55, no 1, pp. 114-122, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.906176
- P. Viriya, N. Yongyuth, and K. Matsuse, "Analysis of two continuous control regions of conventional phase shift and transition phase shift for induction heating inverter under ZVS and non-ZVS", in IEEE Transaction on Power Electronics, Vol. 23, no 6, pp. 2794-2804, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.2004037
- Balestrino, A. Landi, and L. Sani, "CUK converter global control via fuzzy logic and scaling factor," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 406-413, Mar./Apr. 2002.
- E. Vidal, L. Martine, F. Guinjoan, J. Calvente, and S. Gomariz, "Sliding and fuzzy control of a boost converter using an 8-bit microcontroller," in Proc. Inst. Elect. Eng., Electr. Power Appl., vol. 151, no. 1, pp. 5-11, Jan. 2004.
- T.Gupta and R. R. Boudreaux, "Implementation of a fuzzy controller for DC-DC converters using an inexpensive 8-bit micro-controller," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 661-669, October 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.633467
- A Novel Power Control Technique for Series Resonant Inverter-Fed Induction Heating System with Fuzzy-Aided Digital Pulse Density Modulation Scheme 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40815-017-0408-9
- Hierarchical Direct Power Control of Modular Multilevel Converter for Tundish Heating vol.63, pp.12, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2016.2542159
- Fuzzy Logic-Based Pulse Density Modulation Scheme for Mitigating Uncertainties in AC–AC Resonant Converter Aided Induction Heating System pp.1793-6454, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1142/S0218126619500300