- Volume 9 Issue 6
In this paper, for the development of a safe and reliable DC home appliance suitable for DC home power supply system, we classified a number of inherent problems with help of the comparative analysis of existing AC and new DC home appliance. Several new technical problems of DC home appliances are mainly linked to the DC transient state. Among them, this paper concentrates on start-up inrush current problem, uni-polarity problem, and heavy DC load control problem. And to address these problems, we herein present an implementation of robust safety circuits for DC home appliances. Specifically, we investigate several multi-circuit countermeasures and select the best among them through comparative evaluation, based on theoretical, simulational, and experimental results.
DC home power supply system;DC home distribution system;DC home appliance;startup inrush current
- R. Noroozian, M. Abedi, and G. Gharehpetian, "Premium Power Quality Using Combination of Microturbine Unit and DC Distribution System," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology (JEET), vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 103-115, Mar. 2010. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2010.5.1.103
- J. H. Ahn, D. H. Kim, J. S. Shim, H. C. Jin, and B. K. Lee, "DC appliance safety standards guideline through comparative analysis of AC and DC supplied home appliances," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology (JEET), vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 51-57, Jan. 2012. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2012.7.1.51
- S. C. Shin, H. J. Lee, and C. Y. Won, "Power Control Method for Reducing Circulating Current in Parallel Operation of DC Distribution System," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology (JEET), vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 1212-1220, Sep. 2013. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2013.8.5.1212
- K. S. Kim, C. S. Song, G. S. Byeon, H. S. Jung, and G. S. Jang "Power Demand and Total Harmonic Distortion Analysis for an EV Charging Station Concept Utilizing a Battery Energy Storage System," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology (JEET), vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 1234-1242, Sep. 2013. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2013.8.5.1234
- M. E. Baran and N. R. Mahajan, "DC distribution for industrial systems: opportunities and challenges," IEEE Trans. Industry Applications, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 1596-1601, Jun. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2003.818969
- Daniel Salomonsson and Ambra Sannino, "Lowvoltage DC distribution system for commercial power systems with sensitive electronic loads," IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 1620-1627, Jul. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2006.883024
- Keiichi Hirose, "DC power demonstrations in Japan," Power Electronics and ECCE Asia (ICPE & ECCE), IEEE 8th International Conference on, pp. 242-247, Jeju, Korea, 2011.
- S. M. Chen, T. J. Liang, and K. R. Hu, "Design, analysis, and implementation of solar power optimizer for DC distribution system," IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 1764-1772, Apr. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2213270
- "Compatibility test of conventional server power supply to DC power," International Telecommunication Union (ITU), Jan. 2010.
- S. M. Chen, T. J. Liang, and K. R. Hu, "Experimental validation of energy storage system management strategies for a local DC distribution system of more electric aircraft," IEEE Trans. Industrial Electronics, vol. 57, no. 12, pp. 3905-3916, Dec. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2046575
- M. Meinert and A. Binder, "Active damping of inrush and DC-currents for high temperature superconduct-ing (HTS)-transformers on rail vehicles," IEEE Trans. Applied Superconductivity, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 1851- 1854, Jun. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2005.849311
- A. S. Kislovski, "Fast active inrush current limiter for boost-based resistor emulators," International Telecommunications Energy Conference (INTELEC '94), pp. 649-652, Oct. 1994.
- C. S. Mitter, "Active inrush current limiting using MOSFETs," Motorola Inc. technical documents, 1995.
- F. Chen, B. Zhou, and Y. K. Du, "EMC protection of SCB explosive devices by using SMD-based NTC thermistors," IEEE Trans. Electromagnetic Compatibility, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 1216-1221, Jun. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEMC.2012.2202120
- N. Yamato, and K. Hirose, "Effect of breaking high voltage direct current (HVDC) circuit on demonstrative project on power supply systems by service level in Sendai," Telecommunications Energy Conference, INTELEC 29th International, pp. 46-51, 2007.
- S. Baek, T. Yuba, K. Kiryu, A. Nakamura, H. Miyazawa, M. Noritake, and K. Hirose, "Development of plug and socket-outlet for 400 volts direct current distribution system," Power Electronics and ECCE Asia (ICPE & ECCE), IEEE 8th International Conference on, pp. 218-222, Jeju, Korea, 2011.