- Volume 9 Issue 6
In recent years, the induction machines are increasingly being used as self-excited induction generators (SEIG). This generator is especially widely employed for small-scale power plants driven by renewable energy sources. The application of power electronic components in the induction generator control (IGC) and the loading of SEIG using nonlinear loads will generate harmonic currents. This paper analyzes the propogation of harmonic currents on the SEIG with nonlinear loads. Transfer function method in the frequency domain is used to calculate the gain and phase angle of each harmonic current component which are generated by a nonlinear loads. Through the superposition approach, this method has also been used to analyze the propagation of harmonic currents from nonlinear load to the stator windings. The simulation for the propagation of harmonic currents for a 4 pole, 1.5 kW, 50Hz, 3.5A, Y-connected, rotor-cage SEIG with energy-saving lamps, have provided results almost the same with the experiment. It can prove that the validity of the proposed models and methods. The study results showed that the propagation of harmonic currents on the stator windings rejects high order harmonics and attenuates low order harmonics, consequently THDI diminish significantly on the stator windings.
Self-Excited Induction Generator (SEIG);Transfer fuction;Nonlinear loads;Harmonics;Total Harmonic Distortion (THD)
- Li Wang and Ping-Yi Lin, Analysis of a Commercial Biogas Generation System Using a Gas Engine-Induction Generator Set, IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 230-239, March 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2008.2006554
- E. Muljadi, C.P. Butterfield, H. Romanowitz, and R. Yinger, Self Excitation and Harmonics in Wind Power Generation, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, November 2004.
- Bhim Singh and V. Rajagopal, "Battery Energy Storage Based Voltage and Frequency Controller for Isolated Pico Hydro Systems", Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 6, pp. 874-883, November 2009.
- Hashem Oraee Mirzamani & Azim Lotfjou Chobari, "Study of Harmonics Effects on Performance of In-duction Motors", www.wseas.us/elibrary/conferences/2005prague/papers/493.
- Bhim Singh, S. S. Murthy and Sushma Gupta, "Analysis and Design of Electronic Load Controller for Self-Excited Induction Generators", IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 285-293, March, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2005.847950
- B. Singh, S.S. Murthy and S. Gupta, "Analysis and implementation an electronic load controller for a self-excited induction generator", IEE Proc-Gener. Transm. Distrib., Vol. 151, No. 1, pp. 51-60, January 2004. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-gtd:20040056
- Cherl-Jin Kim and Kwan-Yong Lee, "A Study on the Modelling and Design of Single Phase Induction Generators", KIEE International Transaction on Electrical Machinery and Energy Convertion System, Vol. 5-B, No. 4, pp. 331-336, 2005.
- Samir Moulahoum and Nadir Kabache, "Behaviour Analysis of Self Excited Induction Generator F eeding Linear and No Linear Loads", Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, Vol. 8, No. 6, pp. 1371-1379, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2013.8.6.1371
- R. C. Bansal, "Three-Phase Self-Excited Induction Generator: An Overview", IEEE Transactions on Energy Convertion, Vol. 20 No. 2, pp. 292-299, June 2009.
- M. H. Haque, "A Novel Method of Evaluating Performance Characteristics of a Self-Excited Induction Generator", IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 358-365, June 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2009.2016124
- S.S. Murthy, O.P. Malik & A.K. Tandon, "Analyasis of Self-Excited Induction Generators", IEE Proc., Vol. 129, Pt. C, No. 6, pp. 260-265, November 1982.
- Hafiz Khurshid and Narayan C. Kar, "Performance Analysis of Aluminum- and Copper-Rotor Induction Generators Considering Skin and Thermal Effects", IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 57, No. 1, January 2010.
- Miloje Kostic, "Equivalent Circuit and Induction Motor Parameters for Harmonics Studies in Power Networks", Eletrotehniski Vetstnik 79(3): pp. 135- 140, 2012.
- Alexander Kusko and Marc T. Thompson, "Power Quality in Electrical System", The McGraw Hill, 2007.
- Stephen J. Chapman, "Electric Machinery Fundamentals", The McGraw Hill, 1999.
Supported by : Andalas University