- Volume 9 Issue 6
Induction motors are widely used due to their rugged, robust and easy to care features. Since they are heavily used in industry, testing of three phase induction motors have play a vital role. In order to determine motor equivalent circuit parameters, efficiency of motor, squirrel caged laboratory sized an induction motor test setup is prepared. It is suitable for the induction motor with the frame size of 100 and 112. A virtual Instrumentation typed engineering workbench (called as LabVIEW) software packet, is utilized as a graphical user interface program. Motor input power is measured by measuring the input voltage, current and power factor with the help of hall effect typed voltage and current transformers. Also, the output power is measured by measuring the speed and torque with the help of an encoder and torque sensor. All outputs of the voltage and current transformer, encoder and temperature, torque sensors are given to the Data Acquisition Card (DAQ) which acquires the data for processing and then the equivalent circuit parameters, efficiency, performance and loading characteristics are found out, using LabVIEW based user interface. It is suggested to use this test rig for the quality control of produced motors in industry, and an educational experiment setup in the school laboratories.
Induction motor;Performance characteristics;LabVIEW;Test setup;Equivalent circuit
- S. Ayasun, C.O. Nwankpa: "Induction Motor Tests Using MATLAB/Simulink and Their Integration Into Undergraduate Electric Machinery Courses", IEEE Transactions On Education, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 37- 46, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TE.2004.832885
- R. A. Joseph, T. Narasimmalou, K. Baskaran, A. Abraham: "Automated Efficiency Measurement of Three Phase Induction Motor Using LabVIEW", International Conference on Computer Communication and Informatics, pp. 1-5, January 2013.
- A. Bentounsi, H. Djeghloud, H. Benalla, T. Birem, H. Amiar: "Computer-Aided Teaching Using MATLAB/ Simulink for Enhancing an IM Course With Laboratory Tests", IEEE Transactions on Educatıon, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 479-491, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TE.2010.2085046
- L. Xiaosheng, W. Yuqiang, H. Nantian, H.Yue: "The Networked Virtual Test System For Servo Motor And Drive Based On LabVIEW", IEEE 7th International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference - vol. 4, pp. 2357-2361, June 2012.
- B. Vahidi, M. R. B. Tavakoli: "Simulation of Ward Leonard Test Set and Induction Motor on MATLAB for Teaching Performance Characteristics of Induction Motor to Undergraduate Students", Computer Applications in Engineering Education, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 224-233, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1002/cae.20256
- A. Syal, K. Gaurav, T. Moger: "Virtual Laboratory Platform For Enhancing Undergraduate Level Induction Motor Course Using MATLAB / Simulink", Engineering Education: Innovative Practices and Future Trends (AICERA), 2012 IEEE International Conference on, pp. 1-6, July 2012.
- L. Qianxiang, H. Jingtao: "Simulation Model of Induction Motor Based on LabVIEW", Intelligent Networks and Intelligent Systems (ICINIS), 2010 3rd International Conference on, pp. 273-276, November 2010.
- H. M. Mzungu, P. Barendse, M.A. Khan, M. Manyage: "Determination of Effects on Induction Motor Efficiency", Cape Peninsula University of Technology Energy Institute, Industrial Commercial Use of Energy Conference, Cape Town, 2008.
- E. Calis: "Induction Motor Test Setup", Suleyman Demirel University Graduate School of Natural and Applied Sciences Department of Electronic and Computer Education M.Sc. Thesis, Isparta, Turkey, 2013.
- N. Ertugrul: "LabView for Electric Circuits, Machines, Drives, and Laboratories", Prentice Hall, USA, 2006, pp. 436.
- S. J. Chapman, "Electric Machinery and Power System Fundamentals", New York: McGraw-Hill, 2002.
- Standard Test Procedure for Polyphase Induction Motors and Generators, IEEE Standard 112, 1996, pp. 65.
Supported by : Demirel University