- Volume 15 Issue 18
DOI QR Code
Data Quality of Childhood Cancer in Khon Kaen, Thailand, 1990-2007
- Suwanrungruang, Krittika (Khon Kaen Province Cancer Registry, Cancer Unit, Srinagarind Hospital) ;
- Kamsa-ard, Supot (Khon Kaen Province Cancer Registry, Cancer Unit, Srinagarind Hospital) ;
- Wiangnon, Surapon (Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University)
- Published : 2014.10.11
Introduction: Khon Kaen Cancer Registry (KKCR) was established in 1984. KKCR aims to collect all cancer cases in Khon Kaen Province. The poorly qualified data may lead to distort the cancer burden and misinterpretation of policy maker. Objective: To assess data quality in childhood cancer between 1990 and 2007 in Khon Kaen Province, Thailand. Materials and Methods: Data of childhood cancer cases aged less than 20 years diagnosed during 1990-2007 were retrieved from the population-based data set of KKCR. All childhood cancer data were verified before data entry. Internal consistency, percentage of morphological verification (MV%) and cancer cased of the basis of diagnosis by death certificate only (DCO%) were evaluated. The age-adjusted rate (ASR) was calculated by standard method. Results: The data of childhood cancer from KKCR is acceptably qualified which reflects the quality of the whole registration.
- Bray F, Parkin DM (2009). Evaluation of data quality in the cancer registry: principles and methods, part I. Comparability, validity and timeliness. Eur J Cancer, 45, 747-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2008.11.032
- Boyle P, Parkin DM (1991). Statistical methods for registries In: Jensen OM, Parkin DM, Maclennan R, Muir CS, Skeet RG, editors. Cancer registration principles and methods. Lyon: IARC.
- Curado MP, Edwards B, Shin HR, et al (2008). Cancer incidence in five continents Vol.IX. Curado MP, Edwards B, Shin HR, Storm H, Ferlay J, Heanue M et al., editors. IARC Scientific Publications No. 160 (IX). Lyon, France, IARC.
- Parkin DM, Chen VW, Ferlay J, et al (1994). Comparability and quality control in cancer registration. IARC Technical Report No. 19. Lyon, France, IARC.
- Ferlay J, Buknard C, Whelan S, et al (2005). Check and conversion programs for cancer registries. IARC Technical Report No. 42. Lyon.
- Khuhaprema T, Srivatanakul P, Sriplung H, et al (2007). Cancer in Thailand Vol. IV, 1998-2000. Bangkok: Bangkok Medical Publisher.
- Kramárová E, Stiller CA (1996). The international classification of childhood cancer. Int J Cancer, 68, 759-65. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0215(19961211)68:6<759::AID-IJC12>3.0.CO;2-W
- Parkin DM, Kramarova E, Draper GJ, et al (1998). International incidence of childhood cancer. Vol II. IARC scientific publication, 144.
- Parkin DM, Bray F (2009). Evaluation of data quality in the cancer registry: principles and methods Part II. Completeness. Eur J Cancer, 45, 756-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2008.11.033
- Ries LG, Smith MA, Gurney JG, et al (1999). Cancer incidence and survival among children and adolescents: United States SEER Program 1975-1995. NIH. Pub. no. 99-4649: Bethesda.
- Shin HR, Curado MP, Ferlay J, et al (2007).Comparabilty and quality of data in cancer incidence in five continents, Vol. IX. IARC scientific publications No. 160, Lyon, IARC.
- Sriamporn S, Vatanasapt V, Martin N, et al (1996). Incidence of childhood cancer in Thailand 1988-1991. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 10, 73-85. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-3016.1996.tb00028.x
- Sutra S, Chirawatkul A, Bundhamcharoen K, et al (2009). Cause of death analysis by age group. in: child and adolescent health situation 2009. working group for child and adolescent health situation in Thailand. the royal college of pediatricians of Thailand. Beyond Enterprise, 17-88.
- Sutra S, Chirawatkul A, Leelapanmatha P, et al (2012). Health situation analysis of Thai population 2010: implications for health education and health service reform. J Med Assoc Thai, 95, 1-16.
- World Population Statistics. http://www.worldpopulationstatistics.com/thailand-population-2013/ (Access 27 August 2014).
- Wiangnon S, Kamsa-ard S, Jetsrisuparb A, et al (2003). childhood cancer in Thailand: 1995-1997. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 4, 337-43.
- Wiangnon S, Veerakul G, Nuchprayoon I, et al (2011). Childhood cancer incidence and survival 2003-2005, Thailand: study from the Thai pediatric oncology group. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2215-20.
- Wiangnon S, Jetsrisuparb A, Komvilaisak P, et al (2012). Childhood neoplasms: analysis of Thai children 2010. J Med Assoc Thai, 95, 123 33.