- Volume 15 Issue 18
DOI QR Code
Cervical Pathology in Cytology-Negative/HPV-Positive Women: Results from Lampang Cancer Hospital, Thailand
- Paengchit, Kannika (Lampang Cancer Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Kietpeerakool, Chumnan (Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Wangchai, Warunee (Lampang Cancer Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Pouraeng, Saifon (Lampang Cancer Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Lalitwongsa, Somkiet (Lampang Cancer Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University)
- Published : 2014.10.11
Background: To evaluate the cervical pathology of cytology-negative/high-risk human papillomavirus (HR-HPV) positive-women. Materials and Methods: This study recruited 4,583 women aged 30-70 years who had undergone cervical screening by liquid-based cytology and HR-HPV test (14 HR-HPV types) at Lampang Cancer Hospital during October 2012 to July 2013. Colposcopy was carried out in all women. Results: One hundred and ninety-two (4.19%) women were found to be cytology-negative/HR-HPV-positive. However, 23 cases were excluded because of incomplete information, leaving 169 women for further analyses. Of these 169, 45 (26.6%) were infected with HPV 16/18 and 49 (29.0%) with multiple genotypes of HR-HPV. Nineteen of 169 (11.24%) women were found to have CIN 2-3. No women in the present study had AIS or invasive cervical lesions. Prevalence of CIN 2-3 among women infected with HPV 16/18 was 15.6% which was higher than the 9.68% in those with non-HPV 16/18 oncogenic types. Conclusions: Overall, 11% of cytology-negative/HR-HPV-positive women had significant cervical lesions. Risk of harboring such lesions was substantially increased among those who were HPV 16/18 positive.
- Cox JT, Castle PE, Behrens CM, et al (2013). Comparison of cervical cancer screening strategies incorporating different combinations of cytology, HPV testing, and genotyping for HPV 16/18: results from the ATHENA HPV study. Am J Obstet Gynecol, 208, 181-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2012.07.034
- ASCUS-LSIL Traige Study (ALTS) Group (2003). A randomized trial on the management of low-grade squamous intraepithelial lesion cytology interpretations. Am J Obstet Gynecol, 188, 1393-400. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9378(03)00413-7
- Chansaenroj J, Lurchachaiwong W, Termrungruanglert W, et al (2010). Prevalence and genotypes of human papillomavirus among Thai women. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 117-22.
- Khan MJ, Castle PE, Lorincz AT, et al (2005). The elevated 10-year risk of cervical precancer and cancer in women with human papillomavirus (HPV) type 16 or 18 and the possible utility of type-specific HPV testing in clinical practice. J Natl Cancer Inst, 97, 1072-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/dji187
- Kietpeerakool C, Manopunya M, Phuprasertsak P, et al (2011). An audit of colposcopy appointment processes in women with abnormal cervical cytology. Cytopathology, 22, 184-8.
- Kim K, Kim JJ, Kim SM, et al (2012). Prevalence and determinants of high-risk human papillomavirus infection in women with high socioeconomic status in Seoul, Republic of Korea. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 269-73. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.1.269
- Kitchener HC, Almonte M, Thomson C, et al (2009). HPV testing in combination with liquid-based cytology in primary cervical screening (ARTISTIC): a randomised controlled trial. Lancet Oncol, 10, 672-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(09)70156-1
- Rattanalappaiboon D, Kietpeerakool C, Kleebkaow P, et al (2014). Factors affecting compliance in the first year of postcolposcopy surveillance among women with a high incidence of cervical cancer. Int J Gynaecol Obstet, 124, 160-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijgo.2013.07.026
- Leinonen M, Nieminen P, Kotaniemi-Talonen L, et al (2009). Age-specific evaluation of primary human papillomavirus screening vs conventional cytology in a randomized setting. J Natl Cancer Inst, 101, 1612-23. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djp367
- Massad LS, Einstein MH, Huh WK, et al (2013). 2012 updated consensus guidelines for the management of abnormal cervical cancer screening tests and cancer precursors. Obstet Gynecol, 121, 829-46. https://doi.org/10.1097/AOG.0b013e3182883a34
- Moore MA, Attasara P, Khuhaprema T, et al (2010). Cancer epidemiology in mainland South-East Asia-past, present and future. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 67-80.
- Rijkaart DC, Berkhof J, Rozendaal L, et al (2012). Human papillomavirus testing for the detection of high-grade cervical intraepithelial neoplasia and cancer: final results of the POBASCAM randomised controlled trial. Lancet Oncol, 13, 78-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(11)70296-0
- Ronco G, Giorgi-Rossi P, Carozzi F, et al (2010). Efficacy of human papillomavirus testing for the detection of invasive cervical cancers and cervical intraepithelial neoplasia: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet Oncol, 11, 249-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(09)70360-2
- Siriaree S, Srisomboon J, Kietpeerakool C, et al (2006). Highgrade squamous intraepithelial lesion with endocervical cone margin involvement after cervical loop electrosurgical excision: what should a clinician do? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 7, 463-6.
- Sui S, Jiao Z, Niyazi M, et al (2013). Genotype distribution and behavioral risk factor analysis of human papillomavirus infection in Uyghur women. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5861-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.10.5861
- Swangvaree SS, Kongkaew P, Rugsuj P, et al (2010). Prevalence of high-risk human papillomavirus infection and cytologic results in Thailand. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1465-8.
- Wright TC Jr, Stoler MH, Sharma A, et al (2011). Evaluation of HPV-16 and HPV-18 genotyping for the triage of women with high-risk HPV+cytology-negative results. Am J Clin Pathol, 136, 578-86. https://doi.org/10.1309/AJCPTUS5EXAS6DKZ
- Histologic Outcomes in HPV-Positive and Cervical Cytology-Negative Women - Screening Results in Northern Thailand vol.16, pp.16, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.16.7271
- Prevalence of Human Papillomavirus Types and Phylogenetic Analysis of HPV-16 L1 Variants from Southern India vol.16, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.5.2073
- Level of Knowledge and Behavior of Family Health Personnel Workers in Izmir about Early Diagnosis for Breast and Cervix Cancer vol.16, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.6.2501
- Can the careHPV test performed in mobile units replace cytology for screening in rural and remote areas? vol.124, pp.8, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1002/cncy.21718
- High-grade Cervical Histopathology in Women with Atypical Glandular Cell Cytology vol.17, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.1.135