- Volume 15 Issue 18
DOI QR Code
Association of Cytokine Gene Polymorphisms with Gastritis in a Kazakh Population
- Kulmambetova, Gulmira Nigmetzhanovna (National Center for Biotechnology) ;
- Imanbekova, Meruert Kuatbekovna (National Center for Biotechnology) ;
- Logvinenko, Andrey Alexeevich (National Research Medical Center of Astana) ;
- Sukashev, Adilbek Temirzhanovich (National Research Medical Center of Astana) ;
- Filipenko, Maxim Leonidovich (Institute of Chemical Biology and Fundamental Medicine) ;
- Ramanсulov, Erlan Mirhaidarovich (National Center for Biotechnology)
- Published : 2014.10.11
Background: Gastritis and gastric cancer are the most common diseases in the Kazakh population. Polymorphisms in genes coding of cytokines have been played important role with gastric disease risk. The risk alleles of cytokines in patients with gastritis can predict the risk of developing gastric cancer. The aim of this study was to investigate cytokine gene polymorphisms as risk factors for the development of gastritis in a case-control study with gastritis patients and healthy individuals from the Kazakh ethnic group, living in North Kazakhstan. Materials and Methods: The polymerase chain reaction followed by direct sequencing were used for detection of two functional polymorphisms in the IL1 gene family, and TaqMan SNP Genotyping Assay Sets were applied for three potentially functional polymorphisms in the IL10 gene, and one in the TNFA promoter. Results: Association analysis of studied allelic variants and the development of gastritis in H. pylori-positive patients showed that IL1B -31C/C, IL1B -511T/T and IL1RN -2/2 allelic variants were associated with development of gastritis (OR=1.8 (1.07-3.16), p=0.025; OR=1.7 (1.04-2.99), p=0.035, and OR=4.92 (2.45-9.85), p<0.001) respectively. Haplotype C-Т that combines both homozygous allelic variants of IL1B gene also had a statistically significant association with slightly higher OR (OR: 1.43, 95% CI: 1.08-1.88). Conclusions: The data from the current study showed that the genotype IL-1B -511Т/-31C-IL1-RN-2 and H. pylori infection increase risk of gastritis in the Kazakh population. That genotype combination might be a factor increasing the risk of developing gastric cancer.
Supported by : Ministry of Education and Science
- Al-Moundhri MS, Al-Nabhani M, Al-Bahrani B, et al (2006). Interleukin-1beta gene (IL-1B) and interleukin 1 receptor antagonist gene (IL-1RN) polymorphisms and gastric cancer risk in an Omani Arab population. Gastric Cancer, 9, 284-90. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10120-006-0392-5
- Bhayal AC, Krishnaveni D, RangaRao KP, et al (2013). Role of tumor necrosis factor-alpha -308 G/A promoter polymorphism in gastric cancer. Saudi J Gastroenterol, 19, 182-6. https://doi.org/10.4103/1319-3767.114513
- Bidwell J, Keen L, Gallagher G, et al (1999). Cytokine gene polymorphism in human disease: on-line databases. Genes Immun, 1, 3-19. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.gene.6363645
- El-Omar EM (2001). The importance of interleukin 1beta in Helicobacter pylori associated disease. Gut, 48, 743-7. https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.48.6.743
- El-Omar EM, Carrington M, Chow WH, et al (2000). Interleukin-1 polymorphisms associated with increased risk of gastric cancer. Nature, 404, 398-402. https://doi.org/10.1038/35006081
- Figueiredo C, Machado JC, Pharoah P, et al (2002). Helicobacter pylori and interleukin 1 genotyping: an opportunity to identify high-risk individuals for gastric carcinoma. J Natl Cancer Inst, 94, 1680-7. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/94.22.1680
- Furuta T, Shirai N, Sugimoto M (2004). Controversy in polymorphisms of interleukin-1beta in gastric cancer risks. J Gastroenterol, 39, 501-3. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00535-004-1353-6
- Garza-Gonzalez E, Bosques-Padilla FJ, El-Omar E, et al (2005). Role of the polymorphic IL-1B, IL-1RN and TNF-A genes in distal gastric cancer in Mexico. Int J Cancer, 114, 237-41. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.20718
- Gehmert S, Velapatino B, Herrera P, et al (2009). Interleukin-1 beta single-nucleotide polymorphism's C allele is associated with elevated risk of gastric cancer in Helicobacter pyloriinfected Peruvians. Am J Trop Med Hyg, 81, 804-10. https://doi.org/10.4269/ajtmh.2009.08-0494
- He BS, Pan YQ, Xu YF, et al (2011). Polymorphisms in interleukin-1B (IL-1B) and interleukin 1 receptor antagonist (IL-1RN) genes associate with gastric cancer risk in the Chinese population. Dig Dis Sci, 56, 2017-23. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10620-010-1557-y
- Hsu PI, Li CN, Tseng HH, et al (2004). The interleukin-1 RN polymorphism and Helicobacter pylori infection in the development of duodenal ulcer. Helicobacter, 9, 605-13. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1083-4389.2004.00277.x
- Kang JM, Kim N, Lee DH, et al (2009). The effects of genetic polymorphisms of IL-6, IL-8, and IL-10 on Helicobacter pylori-induced gastroduodenal diseases in Korea. J Clin Gastroenterol, 43, 420-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/MCG.0b013e318178d1d3
- Kato S, Onda M, Yamada S, et al (2001). Association of the interleukin-1 beta genetic polymorphism and gastric cancer risk in Japanese. J Gastroenterol, 36, 696-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s005350170033
- Kim J, Kim Y, Lee KA (2014). Ethnic differences in gastric cancer genetic susceptibility: allele flips of interleukin gene. World J Gastroenterol, 20, 4558-65. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v20.i16.4558
- Lee SG, Kim B, Choi W, et al (2003). Lack of association between pro-inflammatory genotypes of the interleukin-1 (IL-1B -31 C/+ and IL-1RN *2/*2) and gastric cancer/duodenal ulcer in Korean population. Cytokine, 21, 167-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1043-4666(03)00032-2
- Mansour-Ghanaei F, Joukar F, Baghaei SM, et al (2012). Gastric precancerous lesions in first degree relatives of patients with known gastric cancer: a cross-sectional prospective study in Guilan Province, north of Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1779-82. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.1779
- Martinez-Carrillo DN, Garza-Gonzalez E, Betancourt-Linares R, et al (2010). Association of IL1B -511C/-31T haplotype and Helicobacter pylori vacA genotypes with gastric ulcer and chronic gastritis. BMC Gastroenterol, 10, 126.
- Matsukura N, Yamada S, Kato S, et al (2003). Genetic differences in interleukin-1 betapolymorphisms among four Asian populations: an analysis of the Asian paradox between H. pylori infection and gastric cancer incidence. J Exp Clin Cancer Res, 22, 47-55.
- Moorchung N, Srivastava AN, Gupta NK, et al (2007). Cytokine gene polymorphisms and the pathology of chronic gastritis. Singapore Med J, 48, 447-54.
- Najjar Sadeghi R, Damavand B, Vahedi M, et al (2013). Detection of p53 common intron polymorphisms in patients with gastritis lesions from Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 91-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.1.91
- Pan XF, Yang SJ, Loh M, et al (2013). Interleukin-10 gene promoter polymorphisms and risk of gastric cancer in a Chinese population: single nucleotide and haplotype analyses. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2577-82. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.4.2577
- Peek RM, Jr., Blaser MJ (2002). Helicobacter pylori and gastrointestinal tract adenocarcinomas. Nat Rev Cancer, 2, 28-37. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc703
- Peleteiro B, Lunet N, Carrilho C, et al (2010). Association between cytokine gene polymorphisms and gastric precancerous lesions: systematic review and meta-analysis. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 19, 762-76.
- Perez-Perez GI, Garza-Gonzalez E, Portal C, et al (2005). Role of cytokine polymorphisms in the risk of distal gastric cancer development. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 14, 1869-73. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-04-0889
- Persson C, Canedo P, Machado JC, et al (2011). Polymorphisms in inflammatory response genes and their association with gastric cancer: A HuGE systematic review and metaanalyses. Am J Epidemiol, 173, 259-70. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwq370
- Santtila S, Savinainen K, Hurme M (1998). Presence of the IL-1RA allele 2 (IL1RN*2) is associated with enhanced IL-1beta production in vitro. Scand J Immunol, 47, 195-8. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-3083.1998.00300.x
- Sierra R, Une C, Ramirez V, et al (2008). Relation of atrophic gastritis with Helicobacter pylori-CagA(+) and interleukin-1 gene polymorphisms. World J Gastroenterol, 14, 6481-7. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.14.6481
- Tarlow JK, Blakemore AI, Lennard A, et al (1993). Polymorphism in human IL-1 receptor antagonist gene intron 2 is caused by variable numbers of an 86-bp tandem repeat. Hum Genet, 91, 403-4.
- Uno M, Hamajima N, Ito LS, et al (2002). Helicobacter pylori seropositivity and IL-1B C-31T polymorphism among Japanese Brazilians. Int J Mol Med, 10, 321-6.
- Yamada S, Matsuhisa T, Makonkawkeyoon L, et al (2006). Helicobacter pylori infection in combination with the serum pepsinogen I/II ratio and interleukin-1beta-511 polymorphisms are independent risk factors for gastric cancer in Thais. J Gastroenterol, 41, 1169-77.
- Yang J, Hu Z, Xu Y, et al (2004). Interleukin-1B gene promoter variants are associated with an increased risk of gastric cancer in a Chinese population. Cancer Lett, 215, 191-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2004.07.012
- Yu Z, Liu Q, Huang C, et al (2013). The interleukin 10 -819C/T polymorphism and cancer risk: a HuGE review and metaanalysis of 73 studies including 15,942 cases and 22,336 controls. OMICS, 17, 200-14. https://doi.org/10.1089/omi.2012.0089
- Zabaleta J, Schneider BG, Ryckman K, et al (2008). Ethnic differences in cytokine gene polymorphisms: potential implications for cancer development. Cancer Immunol Immunother, 57, 107-14. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00262-007-0358-4
- Zhang WH, Wu XJ, Niu JX, et al (2012). Serum zinc status and Helicobacter pylori infection in gastric disease patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5043-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.10.5043
- Zhu F, Zhao H, Tian X, et al (2014). Association between tumor necrosis factor-alpha rs1800629 polymorphism and risk of gastric cancer: a meta-analysis. Tumour Biol, 35, 1799-803. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-013-1240-y
- Identification and Functional Analysis of Differentially Expressed Genes Related to Metastatic Osteosarcoma vol.15, pp.24, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.24.10797
- IL-1B (C+3954T) Gene Polymorphism and Susceptibility to Gastric Cancer in the Iranian Population vol.16, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.2.841
- Association between TNFA Gene Polymorphisms and Helicobacter pylori Infection: A Meta-Analysis vol.11, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0147410
- Association of the IL-1RN variable number of tandem repeat polymorphism and Helicobacter pylori infection: A meta-analysis vol.12, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0175052
- polymorphisms—a study in patients from Northeast Brazil vol.88, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/17453674.2017.1348439
- Association between IL-1β polymorphisms and gastritis risk vol.96, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000006001