- Volume 15 Issue 18
DOI QR Code
Knowledge, Attitudes, Practices and Barriers Towards HPV Vaccination among Nurses in Turkey: a Longitudinal Study
- Yanikkerem, Emre (Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Nursing, School of Health, Celal Bayar University) ;
- Koker, Gokcen (Katip Celebi University, Ataturk Training and Research Hospital)
- Published : 2014.10.11
Background: Human papilloma virus (HPV) occurs in women of all age groups, and causes cervical, anal, vaginal, vulvar, penile and oropharyngeal cancers. The aim of the study was to discover what nurses know about HPV infection, testing and vaccination and to determine vaccine practice of their daughters and perceived barriers. Materials and Methods: This cross-sectional and prospective study was carried out nurses who have worked in a hospital between January and June 2014. Pre-test and post-test were used to evaluate the nurses' knowledge about HPV infection, testing and vaccination. This study was performed with nurses who had girls between 9 and 26 years of age for evaluating the behavior of vaccination after three months of education. Results: The mean of pre-test and post-test scores about HPV infection, which included 22 items, were
- Beydag KD (2011). Knowledge and applications of the midwives and nurses at an educational hospital on the early diagnosis of cervix cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 481-5.
- Boyce T, Holmes A (2012). Addressing health inequalities in the delivery of the human papillomavirus vaccination programme: examining the role of the school nurse. Plos ONE, 7, 43416. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0043416
- Dinas K, Nasioutziki M, Arvanitidou O, et al (2009). Awareness of human papilomavirus infection, testing and vaccination in midwives and midwifery students in Greece. J Obstet Gyneacol, 29, 542-6. https://doi.org/10.1080/01443610902977684
- Duval B, Gilca V, Boulianne N, et al (2009). Cervical cancer prevention by vaccination: nurses' knowledge, attitudes and intentions. J Adv Nurs, 65, 499-508. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2008.04900.x
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2010). Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer 2008: GLOBCAN 2008. Int J Cancer, 127, 2893-17. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25516
- Freidman AL, Shepeard H (2007). Exploring the knowledge, attitudes, beliefs and communication preferences of the general public regarding HPV: findings from CDC focus group research and implications for practice. Health Educ Behav, 34, 471-485.
- Gottvall M, Tyden T, Hoglund AT, Larsson M. (2010). Knowledge of human papillomavirus among high school students can be increased by an educational intervention. Int J STD AIDS, 21, 558-62. https://doi.org/10.1258/ijsa.2010.010063
- Guvenc G, Akyuz A, Seven M (2012). Determination of the knowledge and attitudes of nursing students about human papilloma virus infection and its vaccines. Gulhane Med J, 54, 104-10.
- Henninger J (2009) Human papilomavirus and papilomavirus vaccines: knowledge, attitudes and intentions of general practitioners and practice nurses in Christchurch. J Prim Health Care, 1, 278-85.
- Hilton S, Hunt K, Bedford H, Petticrew M (2011). School nurses' experiences of delivering the UK HPV vaccination programme in its first year. BMC Infect Dis, 11, 226-34. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2334-11-226
- Holder NA, Katzenellenbogen R, Middleman AB (2013). Human papillomavirus vaccines: factors that affect vaccine knowledge and delivery. J Adolesc Health, 53, 423-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2013.05.012
- Hoque ME, Monokoane S, Van Hal G (2014). Knowledge of and attitude towards human papillomavirus infection and vaccines among nurses at a tertiary hospital in South Africa. J Obstet Gynaecol, 34, 182-6. https://doi.org/10.3109/01443615.2013.861395
- Klug SJ, Hukelmann M, Blettner M (2008). Knowledge about infection with human papilomavirus: a systematic review. Prev Med, 46, 87-98. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2007.09.003
- Kwan TT, Lo SS, Tam KF, Chan KK, Ngan HY (2012). Assessment of knowledge and stigmatizing attitudes related to human papilomavirus among Hong Kong Chinese healthcare providers. Int J Gynaecol Obstet, 116, 52-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijgo.2011.07.035
- Linnehan MJ, Andrews S, Groce NE (1996). College health providers' knowledge, attitudes and management practices of genital HPV infection. Nurse Pract, 21, 122-9.
- Makwe CC, Anorlu RI (2011). Knowledge of and attitude toward human papilomavirus infection and vaccines among female nurses at a tertiary hospital in Nigeria. Int J Womens Health, 3, 313-7.
- Marlow LA, Zimet GD, McCaffery KJ, Ostini R, Waller J (2013). Knowledge of human papillomavirus (HPV) and HPV vaccination: an international comparison. Vaccine, 31, 763-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vaccine.2012.11.083
- McSherry LA, Dombrowski SU, Francis JJ, et al (2012). 'It's a can of worms': understanding primary care practitioners' behaviours in relation to HPV using the theoretical domains framework. Implement Sci, 3, 73.
- Naki MM, Celik H, Api O, et al (2010). Awareness, knowledge and attitudes related to HPV infection and vaccine among non-obstetrician gynecologist healthcare providers. J Turk Ger Gynecol Assoc, 11, 16-21.
- National Cancer Institute. 2013. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/HPV, Accessed: 30.06.2014
- New Cervical Cancer Screening Recommendations from the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force and the American Cancer Society/American Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology/American Society for Clinical Pathology https://www.acog.org/About_ACOG/Announcements/New_Cervical_Cancer_Screening_Recommendations Accessed: 30.06.2014
- Oldach BR, Katz ML (2012). Ohio Appalachia public health department personnel: human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine availability, and acceptance and concerns among parents of male and female adolescents. J Community Health, 37, 1157-63. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10900-012-9613-5
- Onsuz FM, Topuzoglu A, Bilgi Z, et al (2011). The evaluation of the knowledge levels and attitudes of medical students who have accomplished obstetric and gynecological diseases internship in a medical school about human papilloma virus vaccine. TAF Preventive Medicine Bulletin, 10, 557-564.
- Ortashi O, Shallal M, Osman N, Raheel H (2012). Knowledge attitude and practice of school nurses in the United Arab Emirates about HPV infection and vaccine. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 6481-84. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.12.6481
- Ozan H, Demir BC, Atik Y, Gumus E, Ozerkan K (2011). Determination of knowledge level of patients regarding HPV and HPV vaccine in outpatient clinic of obstetrics and gynecology department. Uludag Med J, 37, 145-148.
- Ozsaran Z, Demirci S, Aras AB (2011). A survey of evaluation medical students' level of knowledge about HPV Vaccine (Tip fakultesi ogrencileri arasinda HPV asisi bilgi duzeylerini degerlendiren anket calismasi). Turkish Journal of Gynecologic Oncology (Turk Jinekolojik Onkoloji Dergisi), 2, 40-44.
- Ozyer S, Uzunlar O, Ozler S, et al (2013). Awareness of Turkish female adolescents and young women about HPV and their attitudes towards HPV vaccination. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4877-81. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4877
- Phianmongkhol Y, Suwan N, Srisomboon J, Kietpeerakool C (2011). Knowledge about human papilomavirus infection and cervical cancer prevention among nurses in Chiang Mai University Hospital, Thailand. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 823-5.
- Pinar G, Algier L, Colak M, Abbasoglu A (2007). Determination of nurses' knowledge about HPV vaccination and cervical cancer. Turk Jinekolojik Onkoloji Dergisi, 10, 94-8 (in Turkish).
- Pinar G, Topuz S, An S, et al (2010). Evaluation of the level of HPV vaccination and cervix cancer knowledge of females admitted to baskent university ankara hospital, gynecology and obstetrics outpatient clinics Turk Jinekolojik Onkoloji Dergisi, 13, 11-18 (in Turkish).
- Reiter PL, Stubbs B, Panozzo CA, Whitesell D, Brewer NT (2011). HPV and HPV vaccine education intervention: effects on parents, healthcare staff, and school staff. Cancer Epidermal Biomarkers Prev, 20, 2354-61. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-11-0562
- Riedesel JM, Rosenthal SI, Zimet G, et al (2005). Attitudes about human papillomavirus vaccine among family physicians. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol, 18, 391-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpag.2005.09.004
- Rosenthal SL, Weis TW, Zimet GD, et al (2011). Predictors of HPV vaccine uptake among women aged 19-26: importance of a physician's recommendation. Vaccine, 29, 890-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vaccine.2009.12.063
- Tonguc E, Gungor T, Var T, et al (2013). Knowledge about HPV, relation between HPV and cervix cancer and acceptability of HPV vaccine in women in eastern region of Turkey. J Gynecol Oncol, 24, 7-13. https://doi.org/10.3802/jgo.2013.24.1.7
- Uzunlar O, Ozyer S, Baser E, et al (2013). A survey human papilomavirus awareness and acceptance of vaccination among nursing students in a tertiary hospital in Ankara, Turkey. Vaccine, 31, 2191-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vaccine.2013.01.033
- Wamai RG, Ayissi CA, Oduwo GO et al (2013). Awareness, knowledge and beliefs about HPV, cervical cancer and HPV vaccines among nurse in Cameroon: an exploratory study. Int J Nurs Stud, 50, 1399-406. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2012.12.020
- Wong MC, Lee A, Ngali KL, Chor JC, Chan PK (2013). Knowledge, attitude, practice and barriers on vaccination against human papillomavirus infection: a cross-sectional study among primary care physicians in Hong Kong. Plos ONE, 8, 71827. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0071827
- Wong YK, Do KY (2012). Are there socioeconomic disparities in women having discussions on human papillomavirus vaccine with health care providers? BMC Womens Health, 12, 33-39. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6874-12-33
- World Health Organization (2007). Human papillomavirus and HPV vaccines: technical information for policy-makers and health professionals initiative for vaccine research department of immunization, vaccines and biologicals. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/2007/WHO_IVB_07.05_eng.pdf?ua=1, Accessed: 30.06.2014
- Yanikkerem E, Piyan G, Kavlak T, Karadeniz G (2010). Assessing the role of education on Turkish university students' knowledge about HPV and related diseases. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1703-11.
- Yildirim M, Duzovali O, Kanik A, Kirik O (2009). Knowledge and attitudes of the pediatricians in Turkey regarding human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine. J Pediatric Infection, 3, 62-68.
- HPV, Cervical Cancer and Pap Test Related Knowledge Among a Sample of Female Dental Students in India vol.16, pp.13, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.13.5415