- Volume 15 Issue 18
DOI QR Code
Female Breast Cancer Mortality Rates in Turkey
- Dogan, Nurhan (Department of Biostatistics and Medical Informatics, Faculty of Medicine, Afyon Kocatepe University) ;
- Toprak, Dilek (Department of Family Medicine, Sisli Etfal Training and Research Hospital)
- Published : 2014.10.11
The main objective of this study was to analyze the mortality trends of female breast cancer in Turkey between the years 1987-2008. The rates per 100,000 age-standardized to the European standard population were assessed and time trends presented using joinpoint regression analysis. Average annual percent change (AAPC), anual percent change (APC) and 95% confidence interval (CI) was calculated. Nearly 23,000 breast cancer deaths occurred in Turkey during the period 1987-2008, with the average annual age-standardized mortality rate (ASR) being 11.9 per 100,000 women. In the last five years, significant increases were observed in all age groups, but there was no significant change over the age of 65. In this period, the biggest significant increase was in the 45-54 age group (AAPC=4.3, 95%CI=2.6 to 6.0).
- Ahmad OB, Boschi-Pinto C, Lopez AD et al., (2001) Age Standardization of Rates: a new who standard, GPE discussion paper series: No.31, World Health Organization.
- Althuis MD, Dozier JD, Anderson WF, Devesa SS, Brinton LA (2005). Global trends in breast cancer incidence and mortality 1973-1997. Int J Epidemiol, 34, 405-12. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyh414
- Avis NE, Smith KW, Link CL, Goldman MB (2004). Increasing mammography screening among women over age 50 with a videotape intervention. Prev Med, 39, 498-506. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2004.05.024
- Anderson BO, Yip CH, Ramsey SD et al (2006). Breast cancer in limited-resource countries: health care systems and public policy. Breast J, 12, 54-69. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1075-122X.2006.00203.x
- Anderson BO, Yip CH, Smith RA, et al (2008). Guideline implementation for breast healthcare in low-income and middle-income countries: overview of the Breast Health Global Initiative Global Summit 2007. Cancer, 113, 2221-43. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.23844
- Aslan A, Temiz M, Yigit Y (2007). Knowledge, attitude and behaviors of nursing school students about breast cancer. TSK Preventive Medicine Bulletin, 6, 193-8.
- Calonge N, Petitti DB, DeWitt TG, et al (2009). Screening for breast cancer: U.S. preventive services task force recommendation statement. Ann Intern Med, 151, 716-26. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-151-10-200911170-00008
- Canfell K, Banks E, Moa AM, Beral V (2008). Decrease in breast cancer incidence following a rapid fall in use of hormone replacement therapy in Australia. Med J Aust. 188, 641-4.
- Choi Y, Kim YJ, Shin HR, Noh DY, Yoo KY (2005). Long-term prediction of female breast cancer mortality in Korea. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 6, 16-21
- Clegg LX, Hankey BF, Tiwari R, Feuer EJ, Edwards BK (2009). Estimating average annual per cent change in trend analysis. Stat Med, 28, 3670-82. https://doi.org/10.1002/sim.3733
- Danigelis NL, Worden JK, Flynn BS, Skelly JM, Vacek PM (2005). Increasing mammography screening among lowincome African American women with limited access to health information. Prev Med, 40, 880-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2004.10.004
- Ferlay J, Steliarova-Foucher E, Lortet-Tieulent J, et al (2013). Cancer incidence and mortality patterns in Europe: Estimates for 40 countries in 2012. Eur J Cancer, 49, 1374-403. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2012.12.027
- Edwards BK, Ward E, Kohler BA, et al (2010). Annual report to the nation on the status of cancer, 1975-2006, featuring colorectal cancer trends and impact of interventions (risk factors, screening, and treatment) to reduce future rates. Cancer, 116, 544-73. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.24760
- Eskiocak P, Catal B (2005). Knowledge, attitude and behaviors of female students of firat university elazig health academy about self breast examination and breast cancer. 5. national nursing students congress, abstract book p.158, Sanliurfa.
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2010). Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: GLOBOCAN 2008. Int J Cancer, 127, 2893-917. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25516
- Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Ervik M, et al (2013). GLOBOCAN 2012 v1.0, Cancer Incidence and Mortality Worldwide:IARC CancerBase No. 11 [Internet]. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer.
- Gou YJ, Xie DX, Yang KH, et al (2013). Alcohol consumption and breast cancer survival: a meta-analysis of cohort studies. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4785-90. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4785
- IARC (2008). World cancer report 2008. Lyon, international agency for research on cancer. Edited by P. Boyle and B. E. Levin.
- Ilic M, Vlajinac H, Marinkovic J, Vasiljevic S (2013). Joinpoint Regression Analysis of Female Breast Cancer Mortality in Serbia 1991-2010, Women & Health, 53, 439-50. https://doi.org/10.1080/03630242.2013.806388
- Jemal A, Center MM, Desantis C, Ward EM. (2010). Global patterns of cancer incidence and mortality rates and trends. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 19, 1893-1907. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-10-0437
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Luszczynska A (2004). Change in breast self-examination behavior: Effects of intervention on enhancing self-efficacy. International J Behavioral Med, 11, 95-103. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327558ijbm1102_5
- KETEM, Handbook, http://www.kanser.gov.tr/Dosya/Bilgi-Dokumanlari/ketem-el-kitabi.pdf.
- Kim HJ, Fay MP, Feuer EJ, Midthune DN (2000). Permutation tests for joinpoint regression with applications to cancer rates. Stat Med, 19, 335-51. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0258(20000215)19:3<335::AID-SIM336>3.0.CO;2-Z
- Kushi LH, Byers T, Doyle C, et al (2006). American cancer society guidelines on nutrition and physical activity for cancer prevention: reducing the risk of cancer with healthy food choices and physical activity. CA Cancer J Clin, 56, 254-81. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.56.5.254
- Martinez-Beneito MA, Garcia-Donato G, Salmeron D (2011). A bayesian joinpoint regression model with an unknown number of break-points. Annals Applied Statistics. 5, 2150-68. https://doi.org/10.1214/11-AOAS471
- National Cancer Institutes, Surveillance Research Program, 2013 (http://surveillance.cancer.gov/joinpoint)/
- Parkin DM, Nambooze S, Wabwire-Mangen F, Wabinga HR (2010). Changing cancer incidence in Kampala, Uganda, 1991-2006. Int J Cancer, 126, 1187-95.
- Parkin DM, Whelan S, Ferlay J, Storm H, eds. (2005). Cancer incidence in five continents. Vol I to VIII. Cancer Base. No. 7. Lyon:IARC Press.
- Parkin M, Bray F, Ferlay J, Pisani P (2005). Global cancer statistics, 2002. Cancer J Clin, 55, 74-108. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.55.2.74
- Ravdin PM, Cronin KA, Howlader N et al (2007). The decrease in breast-cancer incidence in 2003 in the United States. N Engl J Med, 356, 670-4.
- Secginli S, Nahcivan NO (2006). Factors associated with breast cancer screening behaviors in a sample of Turkish women:a questionnaire survey. Int J Nursing Studies, 43, 161-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2005.02.004
- Seradour B, Allemand H, Weill A, Ricordeau P (2009). Changes by age in breast cancer incidence, mammography screening and hormone therapy use in France from 2000 to 2006. Bull Cancer, 96, 1-6.
- Secginli S, Nahcivan NO (2007). Self breast examination: What are the new advices? Health and Community J, 16, 13-8.
- Secginli S (2007). Effects of Health Promotion Programme of Early Diagnosis of Breast Cancer on Screening Behaviours(thesis). Istanbul University Health Sciences Instutition.
- Secginli S, Nahcivan NO (2004). Reliability and validity of the breast cancer screening belief scale among Turkish women. Cancer Nursing, 27, 287-94. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002820-200407000-00005
- Sorenson J, Hertz A, Gudex C (2005). Evaluation of a Danish teaching program in breast self-examination. Cancer Nursing, 28, 141-7.
- TurkStat (2013), Turkish Statistical Institute, Death Statistics, Province and District Centers, (http://www.turkstat.gov.tr).
- Znaor A, van den Hurk C, Primic-Zakelj M, et al (2013). Cancer incidence and mortality patterns in South Eastern Europe in the last decade: gaps persist compared with the rest of Europe, Eur J Cancer, 49, 1683-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2012.11.030
- Predictors of Cancer Awareness among Older Adult Individuals in Jordan vol.15, pp.24, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.24.10927
- Innovation Status of Gene Therapy for Breast Cancer vol.16, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.9.4133
- Determinants of Breast and Cervical Cancer Screening Uptake Among Women in Turkey vol.28, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1177/1010539516654541
- Alternative Splicing in Breast Cancer and the Potential Development of Therapeutic Tools vol.8, pp.10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/genes8100217