- Volume 15 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Spatio-temporal Variability and Size Fractionation of Chlorophyll a in the Jeju Marine Ranching Area(JMRA) with Special Reference to the Signification of Nanoplankton
제주 바다목장 해역 크기별 엽록소 a의 시·공간적 분포 특성과 미소플랑크톤의 중요성
- Yoon, Yang Ho (Faculty of Marine Technology, Chonnam National University)
- 윤양호 (전남대학교 해양기술학부)
- Received : 2014.06.19
- Accepted : 2014.10.10
- Published : 2014.10.31
To understand size fractioned chlorophyll a and material cycle characteristics in Jeju marine ranching area (JMRA), 4 times of survey were conducted from April to November 2008. Picoplankton on the surface in JMRA was on average,
chlorophyll a;spatio-temporal variation;size fractionation;nanoplankton;top-down dynamics;Jeju marine ranching area
Supported by : 한국연구재단
U. Riebesell, "Effects of
$CO_2$enrichment on marine phytoplankton", J. Oceanogr., 60, 719-729, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10872-004-5764-z https://doi.org/10.1007/s10872-004-5764-z
- J. d. S. Severiano, A. d. N. Moura, E. M. d. M. Magalhaes and V.L.d.S. Almeida, "Study about top-down and bottom-up controls in regulating the phytoplankton biomass in a eutrophic reservoir in northeastern Brazil", J. Water Res. Prot., 4, 616-621, 2012, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4236/jwarp.2012.48071 https://doi.org/10.4236/jwarp.2012.48071
- J. H. Street and A. Paytan, Iron, phytoplankton growth, and the carbon cycle", Met Ions Biol Syst., 43, 153-193, 2005.
- D. Tilman, S. S. Kilham and P. Kilham, "Phytoplankton Community Ecology: The Role of Limiting Nutrients," Annual Rev. Ecol., Evol. System., 13, 349-372. 1982. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1146/annurev.es.13.110182.002025 https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.es.13.110182.002025
- A. Mataxas and R.E. Scheibling, "Top-down and bottom-up regulation of phytoplankton assemblages in tidepools", Mar Ecol Prog Ser., 145, 161-177, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3354/meps145161 https://doi.org/10.3354/meps145161
- J. T. O. Kirk, Light and Photosynthesis in Aquatic Ecosystems (3rd eds). Cambridge Univ. Press, 662pp., 2011.
- Y. Shin, H. Soh and B. Hyun, "Effect of salinity change on biological structure between primary producers and hervivores in water column", The Sea J. Korean Soc. Oceanogr., 10, 113-123, 2005. (in Korean)
- Y. K. Shin, J. Y. Shim, J. S. Jo and Y. C. Park, "Relative significance of nanoplankton in Chonsu Bay: Species composition, abundance, chlorophyll and primary productivity", J. Oceanol. Soc. Korea, 25, 217-228, 1990. (in Korean)
- H. Jr. Curl and G. C. Mcleod, "The physiological ecology of marine diatom, Skeletonema costatum (Grev.) Cleve", J. Mar. Res., 19, 70-88, 1961.
- T. R. Parsons and M. Takahashi, "Environmental control of phytoplankton cell size", Limnol Oceanogr., 18, 511-515, 1973. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4319/lo.1973.18.4.0511 https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.1973.18.4.0511
- R. A. Armstrong, "Grazing limitation and nutrient limitation in marine ecosystems: steady state solutions of an ecosystem model with multiple food chains", Limnol. Oceanogr., 39, 597-608, 1994. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4319/lo.1994.39.3.0597 https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.1994.39.3.0597
- E. P. Y. Tang, "The allometry of algal growth rates", J. Plankton Res., 17, 1325-1335, 1995. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/plankt/17.6.1325 https://doi.org/10.1093/plankt/17.6.1325
- T. C. Malone, "Algal size", In, Morris, I. (ed.) The Physiological Ecology of Phytoplankton, Blackwell Scientific Publications, London, pp. 433-465, 1980.
- P. Cermeno, E. Maranon, V. Perez, P. Serret, E. Fernandez and C. G. Castr, "Phytoplankton size structure and primary production in highly dynamic coastal ecosystem (Ria de Vigo, NW-Spain): Seasonal and short-time scale variability", Est. Coast. Shelf Sci., 67, 251-266, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2005.11.027 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2005.11.027
- S. W. Chisholm, "Phytoplankton size". In: Falkowski, P.G., Woodhead, A.D. (Eds.), Primary Productivity and Biogeochemical Cycles in the Sea. Plenum Press, New York, pp. 213-236, 1992. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4899-0762-2_12 https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4899-0762-2_12
- R. Riegman, B. R. Kuipers, A. A. M. Noordeloos and H. J. Witte, "Size-differential control of phytoplankton and the structure of plankton communities", Neth. J. Sea Res, 31, 255-265, 1993. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0077-7579(93)90026-O https://doi.org/10.1016/0077-7579(93)90026-O
- R. Jyothibabu, N. V. Madhu, K. V. Jayalakshmi, K. K. Balachandran, C. A. Shiyas, G. D. Martin and K. K. C. Nair, "Impact of fresh water influx on microzooplankton mediated food web in a tropical estuary (Cochin backwaters-India)", Est. Coast. Shelf Sci., 69, 505-518, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2006.05.013 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2006.05.013
- S. H. Kim, C. H. Lee, D. O. Seo and Y. J. Kim, "A basic study on acoustic conditioning of fish suitable for a marine ranch 1. The sound sensitivity of Japanese parrot fish Oplegnathus fasciatus", J. Korean Fish. Soc., 35, 563-567, 2002. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2002.35.6.563
- M. H. Yang, T. S. Moon, J. T. Yu, J. C. Ko and D. S. Chang, "Species appearance and seasonal variation of macrobenthic invertebrate in the coastal water of Chagwi-do, Jeju-Island", Korean J. Malacol,, 23, 235-243, 2007. (in Korean)
- T. Y. Oh, H. K. Cha, D. S. Chang, C. H. Hwang, Y. J. Nam, S. N. Kwak and M. H. Son, "Seasonal variation and species composition of fishes communities in artificial reef unit at marine ranching area in the coastal waters off Jeju Island, Korea", J. Korean Soc. Fish. Tech., 46, 139-147, 2010. (in Korean). DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2010.46.2.139 https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2010.46.2.139
- J. B. Lee, T. Y. Oh, I. Yeon, B. Y. Kim, H. O. Shin, B. K. Hwang, K. H. Lee and Y. W. Lee, "Estimation of demersal fish biomass using hydroacoustic and catch data in the marine ranching area (MRA) of Jeju", J. Korean Soc. Fish. Tech., 48, 128-136, 2012. (in Korean) DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2012.48.2.128 https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2012.48.2.128
- S. K. Kang, "The estimation and economic evaluation of fisheries benefit in Jeju trial sea farm project", J. Fish. Bus. Adm., 44, 29-46, 2013. (in Korean) DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12939/FBA.2013.44.3.029 https://doi.org/10.12939/FBA.2013.44.3.029
- A. Affan, J. B. Lee, J. T. Kim, Y. C. Choi, J. M. Kim and J. G. Myoung, "Seasonal dynamics of phytoplankton and environmental factors around the Chagwi-do off the west coast of Jeju Island", Korea. Ocean Sci. J., 42, 117-127, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/BF03020879 https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03020879
- C. I. Zhang, H. C. Kwon, Y. Kwon, and B. Y. Kim, "Age and growth of striped beakperch Oplegnathus fasciatus in the Jeju marine ranching area", Korean J. Ichith., 25, 25-32, 2013. (in Korean)
- B. K. Hwang and H. Y. Jang, "Spatial characteristics of fish distribution lured by artificial reefs in Jeju marine ranching area", J. Korean Soc. Fish. Tech., 50, 30-38, 2014. (in Korean) DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2014.50.1.030 https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2014.50.1.030
- Y. C. Choi and J. S. Kim, "Distribution of physico-chemical characteristics on the development of marine ranching program in the Chagwi-Do cosatal waters, Jeju Island", J. Korean Soc. Mar. Environ. Eng., 11, 105-112, 2008. (in Korean)
- S. W. Jang, J. M. Park, Y. H. Chung, D. H. Kim and H. J. Yoon, "A study on the inflow and seasonal characteristics of foreign marine debris in the coastal area of the West Sea", J. Korean Soc. Mar. Environ, Eng., 15, 89-100, 2012. (in Korean) DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7846/JKOSMEE.2012.15.2.089 https://doi.org/10.7846/JKOSMEE.2012.15.2.089
- SCOR-Unesco, "Determination of photosynthetic pigments". In Unesco(ed.), Determination of photosynthetic pigments in sea water. Paris, pp. 10-18, 1996.
- H. C. Choi, Y. S. Kang and I. S. Jeon, "Phytoplankton community in adjacent waters of Ulchin nuclear power plant", Korean J. Environ. Biol., 22, 426-437, 2004.
- Y. S. Kang, H. C. Choi, J. W. Lim, I. S. Jeon and J. H. Seo, "Dynamics of the phytoplankton community in the coastal waters of Chuksan harbor", East Sea, Algae, 20, 345-352, 2005. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.4490/ALGAE.2005.20.4.345
- Y. S. Kang, H. C. Choi, J. H. Noh, J. K. Choi and I. S. Jeon, "Seasonal variation of phytoplankton community structure in northeastern coastal waters off the Korean Peninsula", Algae, 21, 83-90, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4490/ALGAE.2006.21.1.083 https://doi.org/10.4490/ALGAE.2006.21.1.083
- O. Y. Kwon and J. H. Kang, "Seasonal variation of physico-chemical factors and size- fractionated phytoplankton biomass at Ulsan seaport of East Sea in Korea", J. Korea Aca.-Indus. Coop. Soc., 14, 6008-6014, 2013. (in Korean) DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.11.6008 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.11.6008
- E. J. Yang. and J. K. Choi, "The study on the seasonal variation of microbial community in Kyeonggi bay, Korea. II. Nano- and microplankton", The Sea J. Korean Soc. Oceangr., 8, 78-93, 2003. (in Korean)
- J. H. Shim, H. G. Yeo and Y. K. Shin, "Ecological effect of thermal effluent in the Korean coastal waters I. Significance of autotrophic nano and picoplankton in adjacent waters of Kori nuclear power plant", J. Oceanol. Soc. Korea. 26, 77-82, 1991. (in Korean)
- J. H. Shim, H. G. Yeo and J. G. Park, "Primary production system in the southern waters of the east Sea, Korea I. Biomass and productivity", J. Oceanol. Soc. Korea. 27, 91-100, 1992.
- J. S. Yoo, "Productivity and abundance of bacteria and phytoplankton in Incheon Dock, western coast of Korea", J. Environ. Biol., 29, 531-534, 2008.
- B. Hyun, Y. Shin, C. Park, S. Yang, and Y. J. Lee, "Temporal and spatial variations of size-structured phytoplankton in the Asan Bay", Korean J. Environ. Biol., 24, 7-18, 2006. (in Korean)
- B. Shynn and J. B. Lee, "Spatial and temporal distribution of picoplankto, nanoplankton and microplankton in Jumgmun coastal waters of Jeju Island, Korea", The Sea J. Korean Soc. Oceangr., 7, 78-86, 2002. (in Korean)
- Y. Tomaru, N. Udaka, Z. Kawabata and S. Nakano, "Seasonal change of seston size distribution and phytoplankton composition in bivalve pearl oyster Pinctada fucata martensii culture farm", Hydrobiol., 481, 181-185, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1023/A:1021232832390 https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1021232832390
- W. Zhao and S. L. Dong, "The contribution of size-fractionated plankton to biomass and primary production of phytoplankton in saline-alkaline ponds", Hydrobiol., 492, 181-190, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1023/A:1024863815392 https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1024863815392
- S. Kukrer and H. B. Buyukisik, "Size-fractionated phytoplankton and nutrient dynamics in the inner part of İzmir Bay, eastern Aegean Sea", Turkish J. Bot., 37, 177-187, 2013.
- Madhu, N.V., Jyothibabu, R. and Balachandran, K.K., "Monsoon induced changes in the size fractionated phytoplankton biomass and production rate in the estuarine and coastal waters of southwest coast of India", Environ. Monit. Assess., 166, 521-528, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10661-009-1020-8 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-009-1020-8
- H. M. Joo, J. H. Lee, K. H, Chung, J. S. Kang. and S. H. Kang, "Phytoplankton and environmental factors in the southeastern Barents Sea during August 2003", Ocean and Polar Res., 27, 265-276, 2005. (in Korean) DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4217/OPR.2005.27.3.265 https://doi.org/10.4217/OPR.2005.27.3.265
- M. Yamaguchi and I. Imai, "Size frationated phytoplankton biomass and primary productivity in Osaka Bay, Eastern Seto Inland Sea, Japan", Bull. Nansei Nat'l Fish. Res. Inst. 29, 59-73, 1996.
- A. L. Bouteiller, J. Blanchot and M. Rodier, "Size distribution patterns of phytoplankton in the western Pacific: towards a generalization for the tropical open ocean", Deep-Sea Res., 39, 805-823, 1992. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0198-0149(92)90123-B https://doi.org/10.1016/0198-0149(92)90123-B
- E. Moreno-Ostos, A. Fernandez, M., Huete-Ortega, B. Mourino-Carballido, A. Calvo-diaz, K. A. G. Moran and E. Maranon, "Size-fractionated phytoplankton biomass and production in the tropical Atlantic", Sci. Mar., 75, 379-389, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3989/scimar.2011.75n2379
- D. Zhang, C. Wang, Z. Liu, X. Xu, X. Wang, and Y. Zhou, "Spatial and temporal variability and size fractionation of chlorophyll a in the tropical and subtropical Pacific Ocean", Acta Oceanol. Sinica, 31, 120-131, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s13131-012-0212-1 https://doi.org/10.1007/s13131-012-0212-1
- S. Q. Song., J. Sun, Z. L. Shen, D. Wang and Q. S. Luan, "Size-fractionated biomass of phytoplankton in the Yangtze River estuary and its adjacent waters in winter and spring", Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao, 19, 658-666, 2008.
- W. Ehnert and C. P. McRoy, "Phytoplankton biomass and size fractions in surface waters of the Australian sector of the southern ocean", J. Oceanogr., 63, 179-187, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10872-007-0020-y https://doi.org/10.1007/s10872-007-0020-y
- Y. Maita and T. Odate, "Seasonal change in size-fractionated primary production and nutrient concentrations in the temperate neritic water of Funka Bay, Japan", J. Oceanogr. Soc. Japan, 44, 268-279, 1988. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/BF02302569 https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02302569
- A. Shiomoto and S. Hashimoto, "Size-fractionated chlorophyll a and primary productivity in the offshor Oyashio waters in July 1992", La mer, 39, 9-18, 2001.
- A. Iriarte and D. A. Purdie, "Size distribution of chlorophyll a biomass and primary production in a temperate estuary (Southampton Water): the contribution of photosynthetic picoplankton", Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser., 115, 283-297, 1994. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3354/meps115283 https://doi.org/10.3354/meps115283
- Al-Hashmi, K. A. Claereboudt, M. R. Al-Azri, Adnan, R. Piontovski and A. Sergey, "Seasonal changes of chlorophyll a and environmental characteristics in the Sea of Oman", Open Oceanogr. J., 4, 107-114, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2174/1874252101004010107 https://doi.org/10.2174/1874252101004010107
- S. Polat and A. Aka, "Total and size fractionated phytoplankton biomass off Karataş, north-eastern Mediterranean coast of Turkey", J. Black Sea/Mediterranean Environ., 13, 191-202, 2007.
- S. W. Bae, D. Kim, Y. O. Kim, C. H.. Moon and S. H. Baek, "The influences of additional nutrients on phytoplankton growth and horizontal phytoplankton community distribution during the autumn season in Gwangyang Bay", Korea, Korean J. Environ. Biol., 32, 35-48, 2014. (in Korean) DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11626/KJEB.2014.32.1.035 https://doi.org/10.11626/KJEB.2014.32.1.035