- Volume 15 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Study on Mies' office projects in Germany through an analysis of Formal Types
형태 유형 분석을 통해 본 미스 반 데어 로에의 독일시대 사무소 건축에 관한 연구
- Kim, Chul-Hwan (Department of Architecture, Halla University)
- 김철환 (한라대학교 건축학부)
- Received : 2014.08.21
- Accepted : 2014.10.10
- Published : 2014.10.31
This study examined the formal types and public space of Mies van der Rohe's office designs in Germany. The characteristics of the formal types, the relationship between public space and formal types, and the composition of public space were analyzed by hierarchy with perspective drawings and plans. The conclusions were as follows. Mies used the formal types, such as U shape and I shape in his early days. Later, he adopted the curved shape and tried to fragment the forms by combining the curved shape with an I shape. Mies designed the entry space in front of the simple formal types. The curved shape was used to create various hierarchical courtyards and rear gardens. The results suggest that Mies developed his own ideas on the formal types and public space utilizing a variety of methods.
Mies van der Rohe;Germany;office project;formal type;public space
- Young-Hoon Jeon, Kwang-Suk Oh, Woong-Hee Ahn, "A Study on Tectonic Characteristics of Columns in Mies van der Rohe's Architecture in Germany", Journal of Architectural Institute of Korea, Vol.25 No.1, pp. 181, 2009.
- Seo Hyun, "A Study on a Practical Application of Transparency of Glass Appeared on Architecture of Mies van der Rohe", Journal of Architectural Institute of Korea, Vol.18 No.6, pp. 74, 2002.
- Frank Russel, Mies van der Rohe European works. p.46, Academy Editons, 1986.
- Mies van der Rohe, "Uber die Form in der Architektur", In: Die Form, 2. p.63, E&FN Spon, 1927.
- Luis Fernandez-Galiano, Mies van der Rohe Berlin/Chicago. p.25, Arqitectura Viva, 2001.
- Richard Pommer, "Mies van der Rohe and the political ideology of the Modern Movement in architecture", p.118, The Museum of Modern Art, 1989.
- Jean-Louis Cohen, Mies van der Rohe. p.73, E&FN Spon, 1996.
- Frank Russel, Mies van der Rohe European works. p.84, Academy Editions, 1986.