- Volume 15 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Numerical Analysis of Load Bearing Behavior of Shallow Foundations
얕은기초의 하중지지거동에 관한 수치해석
- Lee, Seung-Hyun (Department of Civil Engineering, Sunmoon University) ;
- Lee, Su-Hyung (Korea Railroad Research Institute, Metropolitan Transportation Research Center)
- Received : 2014.07.10
- Accepted : 2014.10.10
- Published : 2014.10.31
Finite element analyses were performed to find out the load bearing behavior of three kinds of shallow foundations. The analysis results for strip footing showed that local shear failure mode could be observed for a zero dilatancy angle and general shear failure mode could be seen for non-zero dilatancy angles. The ultimate bearing loads for non-zero dilatancy angles were approximately 1.5 times higher than that of a zero dilatancy angle. General shear failure mode was observed for circular footing and square footing regardless of the dilatancy angle. The ultimate bearing loads for a non-zero dilatancy angle were slightly greater than that for a zero dilatancy angle. A comparison of the load-settlement curves for three kinds of footing showed that the load bearing capacities for non-zero dilatancy angle were greater than those for a zero-dilatancy angle.
Finite element analysis;Load bearing behavior;Failure mode;Dilatancy angle;Ultimate bearing load
- Terzaghi, K., Theoretical soil mechanics, John Wiley, New York, 1943. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/9780470172766
- DeBeer, E. E. and Ladanyi, B., "Experimental study of the bearing capacity of sand under circular foundations resting on the surface", Proceedings, 5th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, Vol. 1, pp. 577-585. Paris, 1961.
- Skempton, A. W., "The Bearing Capacity of Calys", Proceedings, Building Research Congress, Vol. 1, pp. 180-189, London, 1951.
- Meyerhof, G. G., "Some Recent Research on the Bearing Capacity of Foundations", Canadian Geotechnical Journal, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 16-26 (Reprinted in Meyerhof, 1982), 1963. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1139/t63-003 https://doi.org/10.1139/t63-003
- Brinch Hansen, "A General Formula for Bearing Capacity", Bulletin No. 11, Danish Geotechnical Institute, Copenhagen, 1961.
- Prandtl, L., "Uber die Harte plastischer Korper (On the Hardness of Plastic Bodies)", Nachr. Kgl. Ges Wiss Gottingen, Math-Phys. Kl., pp. 74. (in German), 1920.
- Vesic, A. S., "Analysis of ultimate loads of shallow foundations", ASCE Journal of Soil Mechanics and Foundations Division, Vol. SM1, pp. 45-73, 1973.
- Zimmermann, T., ZSOIL.PC Getting started, Elmepress international, Lausanne, Switzerland, 2013.
- Bolton, M. D., "The Strength and dilatancy of sands". Geotechnique 1/36, pp. 65-78, 1986. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1680/geot.19220.127.116.11 https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.1918.104.22.168