- Volume 15 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Study of the Applications of Introduction of Computer Engineering Class using PBL
PBL을 이용한 컴퓨터공학입문 수업의 실제적 적용에 관한 연구
- Lee, Keun-Soo (Department of Computer Web Information Engineering(& Computer System Institute), Hankyong National University)
- 이근수 (한경대학교 컴퓨터웹정보공학과(& 컴퓨터 시스템 연구소))
- Received : 2014.08.26
- Accepted : 2014.10.10
- Published : 2014.10.31
In this thesis, PBL was applied to the subject for improving students' many skills that modern industrial society demands. Our engineering school developed PBL problems for PBL use, applied the problems to classes and confirmed the effectiveness of PBL. The study subjects were 63 freshman students in H University who took the 'Introduce of computer engineering'. We applied 5 PBL problems for 15 weeks. They wrote and submitted a reflective journal when they finished the every given PBL activity. In addition, they completed a class evaluation form after the activity of 5th PBL Problem ended. The study showed that the students experienced the effectiveness of PBL, such as the comprehension of the studied contents, the comprehension of the cooperative learning, authentic experience, creative problem-solving skills, presentation skills, communication ability, self-directed study ability and confidence. Some difficulties in gathering together and spending much time were also encountered. The students realized that the PBL learning activities were important methods because the students could develop into future intelligent engineers that modern industrial society demands through PBL learning activities. The main goal of an engineering school is to produce specialists with creative problem solving ability so that the effects of this study are quite promising for our engineering school.
PBL, Problem-Based Learning;The effectiveness of PBL;PBL Application;Reflective journal;Cooperative Learning;Creative Problem-solving skills
- Jeon, Y. H., A Study on Instruction in Education Applying the PBL Theory and Evaluarion Methods: Centering on the Curriculum for Third-Graders, Korea National University of Education, M.S. Thesis. 2008.
- K. S. Lee (2014). A Study on PBL Instructional Design for Creative Engineering Design Education, Journal of the Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 15, No.7 pp. 4573-4579. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.7.4573 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.7.4573
- Y. K. Kim (2001). The Effects of Problem-Based Learning Instruction Student's Intrinsic Motivation and Sociality : Centering on the "Plan and Management of Housing" in Home Economics of High School, Chungang University, M.S. Thesis.
- J. I. Choi. (2007). A Case Study for the Application of PBL in Higher-Education : Focused on the Effectiveness of PBL presented in Reflective Journal.
- I. A. Kang, Why constructivism?: Learner-centered educational environment in information-oriented age, seoul, : Muneumsa, 1998.
- Barrows, H. S., How to design a problem-based curriculum for the preclinical years. NY : Springer. 1985.
- Y. S. Cho, J. K. Woo, Theoretic basis of PBL: View of knowledge and education value, Korean Educational Research Association, Education Research, 2003.
- H. J. Choo, The Development of Learner-Centered PBL Model in Higher Education, Kyung Hee University, Ph.D. Thesis, 2011.
- Barrows, H. S. & Myers, A., Problem-based learning in secondary schools. Unpublished monograph, Springfield. IL: Problem-based learning Institute, Lanphier School, and Southern Illinois University Medical School. 1994.
- Barrows, H. S., Practice-based Learning : Problem-based learning applied to medical education. Springfield. IL: Southern Illinois University School of Medical. 1994.
- Delisle, R., How to Use Problem-Based 5earning in the Classroom, Alexandria, Virginia; Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development(ASCD), 1997.
- H. R. Kim, The way of improving instruction-learning of computer subject employing problem based learning model, Conference of Korea Association of Information Education. 2000.
- Trop, L., & Sage, S., Problems as possibilities : Problem-based learning for k-16 education(2nd Ed.). Alexandria, Virginia : Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.
- Dick, W., Carey, J. O., The systematic design of instruction(5thed.). Addison-Wesley Educational Publishers Inc.
- W.-T. Lee, J.-M. Kang, "Deduction of Humanistic Metaphor based on Searching, Participation, Sharing and Analysis of Wearable Device", The Journal of The Institute of Internet, Broadcasting and Communication (IIBC), Vol. 14, No. 3, pp.125-130, Jun. 2014. https://doi.org/10.7236/JIIBC.2014.14.3.125
- J. Kim, D. Nam, "Visualization Design of Monitoring System using Mash-up Method", The Journal of The Institute of Internet, Broadcasting and Communication (IIBC), Vol. 14, No. 3, pp.69-74, Jun. 2014. https://doi.org/10.7236/JIIBC.2014.14.3.69
- C.-M. Park, B.-S. Kim, S.-H. Lee, "Development of Direct-Information-Sharing Mobile System between Group Members Based on Wi-Fi Direct Technology", The Journal of The Institute of Internet, Broadcasting and Communication (IIBC), Vol. 14, No. 3, pp.13-19, Jun. 2014. https://doi.org/10.7236/JIIBC.2014.14.3.13
- C. Kim, "Design and Implementation Smart Office System Based on Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP)", The Journal of The Institute of Internet, Broadcasting and Communication (IIBC), Vol. 14, No. 2, pp.153-159, Apr. 2014. https://doi.org/10.7236/JIIBC.2014.14.2.153
- S.-J. Shin, "A Study on Coaching System for Disabled and Elderly People", The Journal of The Institute of Internet, Broadcasting and Communication, Vol. 13, No. 6, pp. 237-242, Dec. 2013. https://doi.org/10.7236/JIIBC.2013.13.6.237