- Volume 15 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Improvement in the Channel Capacity in Visible Light Emitting Diodes using Compressive Sensing
압축센싱기법을 이용한 가시광 무선링크 전송용량 증가기술 연구
- Jung, Eui-Suk (Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute) ;
- Lee, Yong-Tae (Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute) ;
- Han, Sang-Kook (Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Yonsei University)
- Received : 2014.06.11
- Accepted : 2014.10.10
- Published : 2014.10.31
A new technique, which can increase the channel bandwidth in an optical wireless orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (OFDM) link based on a light emitting diode (LED), is proposed. The technique uses adaptive sampling to convert an OFDM signal to a sparse waveform. In compressive sensing (CS), a sparse signal that is sampled below the Nyquist/Shannon limit can be reconstructed successively with sufficient measurements. The data rate of the proposed CS-based visible light communication (VLC)-OFDM link increases from 30.72 Mb/s to 51.2 Mb/s showing an error vector magnitude (EVM) of 31 % at the quadrature phase shift keying (QPSK) symbol.
Adaptive sampling;Compressive sensing;L1-minimization;Orthogonal frequency division multiplexing;Visible light communication
- A. Jovicic, J. Li, and T. Richardson, "Visible light communication: opportunities, challenges and the path to market," IEEE Commun. Mag., 51, pp. 26-32 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/MCOM.2013.6685754 https://doi.org/10.1109/MCOM.2013.6685754
- J. Gruber, S. C. J. Lee, K.-D. Langer, T. Koonen, and J. W. Walewski, "Wireless high-speed data transmission with phosphorescent white-light LEDs," in Proceedings of 33th European Conference and Exhibition on Optical Communication, pp. 1-2, 2007.
- H. L. Minh, D. O'Brien, G. Faulkner, L. Zeng, K. Lee, D. Jung, and Y. Oh, "High-speed visible light communications using multiple resonant equalization," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett. vol. 20, no. 14, pp. 1243-1245, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/LPT.2008.926030 https://doi.org/10.1109/LPT.2008.926030
- H. L. Minh, D. O'Brien, G. Faulkner, L. Zeng, K. Lee, D. Jung, Y. Oh, and E. T. Won, "100-Mb/s NRZ visible light communications using a postequalized white LED," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett. vol. 21, no. 15, pp. 1063-1065, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/LPT.2009.2022413 https://doi.org/10.1109/LPT.2009.2022413
- C. Kottke, J. Hilt, K. Habel, J. Vucic, and K.-D. Langer, "1.25 Gbit/s visible light WDM link based on DMT modulation of a single RGB LED luminary," in Proceedings of 38th European Conference and Exhibition on Optical Communication, paper We.3.B.4., 2002.
- J. Vucic, C. Kottke, S. Nerreter, K.-D. Langer, and J. W. Walewski, "513 Mbit/s visible light communications link based on DMT-modulation of a white LED," J. Lightw. Technol. vol. 28, no. 24, pp. 3512-3518, 2010.
- D.L. Donoho, "Compressed Sensing," IEEE Trans. on Information Theory vol. 52, pp. 1289-1306, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TIT.2006.871582 https://doi.org/10.1109/TIT.2006.871582
- D. L. Donoho and M. Elad, "Optimally sparse representation in general (nonorthogonal) dictionaries via l1 minimization," Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci., vol. 100, pp. 2197-2202, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0437847100 https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0437847100
- E. Candes and T. Tao, "Decoding by linear programming," IEEE Trans. Info. Theory, vol. 51, pp. 4203-4215, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TIT.2005.858979 https://doi.org/10.1109/TIT.2005.858979