- Volume 15 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Comparison of the Health Behaviors according to Income and Education Level among Cardio-Cerebrovascular Patients; based on KNHANES data of 2010-2011
심뇌혈관질환자의 소득과 교육수준에 따른 건강행태 비교 - 2010-2011년도 국민건강영양조사 자료를 이용하여 -
- Choi, Ji-Yeon (Dept. of Public Health, Graduate School of Chosun University) ;
- Choi, Seong-Woo (Dept. of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, College of Medicine, Chosun University)
- Received : 2014.07.10
- Accepted : 2014.10.10
- Published : 2014.10.31
The aim of this study was to help disease management and prevention by analyzing the effects of income and education levels on the health of cardio-cerebrovascular patients. Using the raw data of 2010-2011 Korea Health & Nutrition Examination Survey, the correlations of health behaviors, general (socio-demographic) characteristics, body measurements, and blood test results of 3,687 cardio-cerebrovascular patients aged 30 or older were analyzed based on their income and education levels. The results suggested that lower income and education levels were correlated with a high prevalence of cardio-cerebrovascular diseases. In addition, the OR values (95% CI) of current smoking were 0.71 (0.52-0.96) for patients with a high-income and 0.41 (0.29-0.58) for those with a high level of education, showing a strong correlation between lower levels of income and education and current smoking, which is related to health deterioration. In terms of one-month drinking and high risk drinking, the OR values (95% CI) of the patients with a high income were 1.55(1.22-1.95) and 1.42(1.11-1.82), respectively. Drinking was more prevalent among high-income patients but had no correlation with the education level. The practice of walking had no significant correlation with both income and education levels. Therefore, it is imperative to emphasize the importance of temperance to high-income patients, and the importance of quitting smoking to low-income patients, as well as to provide institutional support.
Cardio-cerebrovascular disease;Education level;Health behavior;Income level
- Korean Endocrine Society, Korean Society for the Study of Obesity, "Management of Obesity, 2010 Recommendation" Endocrinol Metab, Vol. 25, No. 4, pp. 301-304, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3803/EnM.2010.25.4.301 https://doi.org/10.3803/EnM.2010.25.4.301
- H. M. Nam, S. H. Woo, Y. J. Cho, Y. J. Choi, S. Y. Back, S. Y. Yoon, J. Y. Lee, J. J. Lee, H. J. Lee, "Effects of Nutritional Education Practice Program for Cardiocerebrovascular High-risk Group at the Education Information Center." Korean J Community Nutr, Vol. 16, No. 5, pp. 580-591, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2011.16.5.580 https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2011.16.5.580
- Korean Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, "9 Rules of Life for the Prevention and Management of Cardio-cerebrovascular Disease." 2011.
- Statistics Korea, "The Cause of Death Statistics in 2012." http://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/index.ac- tion
- World Health Organisation. "The World Health Report 2002: Reducing Risks, Promoting Healthy Life." Geneva, 2002.
- K. W. Kang, J. H. Sung, C. Y. Kim, "High Risk Groups in Health Behavior Defined by Clustering of Smoking, Alcohol, and Exercise Habits: National Heath and Nutrition Examination Survey." J Prev Med Public Health, Vol. 43, No. 1, pp. 73-83, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2010.43.1.73 https://doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2010.43.1.73
- J. S. Choi, "The Effect of Early Detection of Hypertension and Diabetes on Smoking and Alcohol Drinking" Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 103-130, 2007.
- H. J. Park, "The Prevalence Rate and the Risk Factors for Chronic Disease among School teachers." Master's Thesis (Department of Health, Graduate School of Public Health, Seoul National University), 2001.
- K. J. Park, G. U. Lim, Y. Hwangbo, W. G. Jhang, "The Impact of Health Behaviors and Social Strata on the Prevalence of Cardio-Cerebrovascular Disease." Soonchunhyang Medical Science, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 105-111, 2011. https://doi.org/10.15746/sms.11.022
- Naimi TS, Brown DW, Brewer RD, Giles WH, Mensah G, Serdula MK. "Cardiovascular risk factors and confounders among nondrinking and moderate-drinking U.S. adults." Am J Prev Med, Vol. 28, pp. 369-373, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2005.01.011 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2005.01.011
- Ronksley PE, Brien SE, Turner BJ, Mukamal KJ, Ghali WA. "Association of alcohol consumption with selected cardiovascular disease outcomes: a systematic review and meta- analysis." BMJ, Vol. 342, d671, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.d671 https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.d671
- Ikehara S, Iso H, Toyoshima H, Date C, Yamamoto A, Kikuchi S. "Alcohol consumption and mortality from stroke and coronary heart disease among Japanese men and women: the Japan collaborative cohort study." Stroke, Vol. 39, pp. 2936-2942, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1161/STROKEAHA.108.520288 https://doi.org/10.1161/STROKEAHA.108.520288
- H. Y. Lee, "The relationship between socioeconomic status and self-rated health and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease." Doctor's Thesis (Department of Health, Graduate School of Public Health, Yonsei University), 2006.
- Lahelma E, Martikainen P, Laaksonen M, Aittomaki A. "Pathways between socioeconomic determinants of health." J Epidemiol Community Health, Vol. 58, pp. 327-332, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/jech.2003.011148 https://doi.org/10.1136/jech.2003.011148
- Kunst AE, Bos V, Lahelma E, Bartley M, Lissau I, Regidor E. "Trends in socioeconomic inequalities in self-assessed health in 10 European countries." Int J Eepidemiol, Vol. 34, pp. 295-305, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyh342 https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyh342
- Y. O. Mun, E. C. Park, M. S. Kwak, K. S. Choi, S. G. Kim, M. I. Hahm, "The Relationship Between Socioeconomic Status and Self-rated Health Among Korean Population Needed to Have Cancer Screening." Korean J Health Promot Dis Prev, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 157-164, 2007.
- Franks P, Gold MR, Fiscella K. "Socio- demographics, self-rated health, and mortality in the US." Soc Sci Med, Vol. 56, pp. 2505-2514, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0277-9536(02)00281-2 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0277-9536(02)00281-2
- Zimmer Z, Amornsirisomboon P. "Socioeconomic status and health among older adults in Thailand: An examination using multiple indicators." Soc Sci Med, Vol. 52, pp. 1297-1311, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0277-9536(00)00232-X https://doi.org/10.1016/S0277-9536(00)00232-X
- N. S. Kim, H. J. Song, "Women's Chronic Diseases and Policy Implications in Korea." Health and Welfare Policy Forum, pp. 39-46, 2004.
- H. R. Kim, Y. H. Khang, K. J. Yoon, C. S. Kim, "Socioeconomic Health Inequalities and Counter Policies in Korea." Research Paper of KIHASA (Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs), 2004.
- T. H. Yoon, O. R. Moon, S. Y. Lee, B. G. Jeong, S. J. Lee, N. S. Kim, W. K. Jhang, "Differences in Health Behaviors among the Social Strata in Korea." Korean Journal of Preventive Medicine, Vol. 33. No. 4, pp. 469-476, 2000.
- Y. M. Kim, K. H. Jung-Choi, "Socio- economic inequalities in health risk factors in Korea." J Korean Med Assoc, Vol. 56, No. 3, pp. 175-183, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2013.56.3.175 https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2013.56.3.175
- Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, http://knhanes.cdc.go.kr/knhanes/index.do
- Graduate School of Public Health, Korea Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, "Trends and socioeconomic differences in the prevalence of cardiocerebrovascular diseases : Results from the 2005 Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey." Public Health Weekly Report, KCDC, Vol. 1, No. 25, pp. 417-420, 2008.
- Korean Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, "Health Behaviors and Chronic Disease Statistics in 2010: Analysis of Korean National Health and Nutrition Survey & Korean Youth Risk Behavior Web-based Survey." 2011.
- Korean Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, "The Operational Guidelines in Registration and management of hypertension and diabetes" 2007.
- H. R. Kim, Y. H. Khang, E. J. Park, J. S. Choi, Y. H. Lee, Y. S. Kim, "Socioeconomic, Behavioral, Nutritional, and Biological Determinants of Morbidity, Mortality, and Medical Utilization in South Korea." Research Paper of KIHASA (Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs), 2006.
- American Heart Association. "Heart disease and stroke statistics 2006 update." http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/reprint/CIRCULATIONAHA.105.171600v1
- WHO. "Preventing Chronic Disease: Vital investment." 2005.
- J. H. Ban, K. H. Kim, "Income Distribution and Poverty Incidence in Single- Mother Households." Quarterly Journal of Labor Policy, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 33-69, 2013.
- M. S. Chung, "A Study on Pauperization Process of Low-Income Woman Head of Household." Korean Journal of Social Welfare, Vol. 59, No. 4, pp. 191-216, 2007. https://doi.org/10.20970/kasw.2007.59.4.008
- J. H. Kim, "Health Behavior of People Who Have Hypertension or Diabetic Disease by Income Class : 201 0-2011 Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey." Master's Degree (Graduate School of Social Development, Chung-Ang University), 2013.
- Korean Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, "Long-term Technology Roadmap Planning to Overcome Cardio-Cerebrovascular Disease." 2012.
- H. W. Kim, "The Correlation Between Smoking and Cardiovascular diseases -Based on the 4th & 5th KNHANES-" Master's Thesis (Department of Health, Graduate School of Public Health, Seoul National University), 2012.
- Korean Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, "Korea Health Statistics 2011 : Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES V-2)" 2011.
- S. R. Kim, O. K. Kim, K. E. Yun, Y. H. Khang, H. J. Cho, "Socio- economic Factors Associated with Initiating and Quitting Cigarette Smoking Among Korean Men." Korean J Fam Med, Vol. 30, No. 6, pp. 415-425, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4082/kjfm.2009.30.6.415 https://doi.org/10.4082/kjfm.2009.30.6.415
- Jarvis MJ. "Why people smoke." BMJ, Vol. 328, pp. 277- 279, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.328.7434.277 https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.328.7434.277
- J. J. Cho, "Stress and cardiovascular disease." J Korean Med Assoc, Vol. 56, No. 6, pp. 462-470, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2013.56.6.462 https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2013.56.6.462
- Leinsalu M, Tekkel M, Kunst AE. "Social determinants of ever initiating smoking differ from those of quitting: a cross-sectional study in Estonia." Eur J Public Health, Vol. 17, pp. 572-578, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/eurpub/ckm030 https://doi.org/10.1093/eurpub/ckm030
- J. S. Choi, "Leading Health Problems and Risk Factors in Korea." Health and Welfare Policy Forum, pp. 5-17, 2004.
- Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, http://knhanes.cdc.go.kr/knhanes/index.do
- Kuper H, Marmot M, Hemingway H. "Systematic review of prospective cohort studies of psychosocial factors in the etiology and prognosis of coronary heart disease." Semin Vasc Med, Vol. 2, pp. 267-314, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1055/s-2002-35401 https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2002-35401
- Bunker SJ, Colquhoun DM, Esler MD, Hickie IB, Hunt D, Jelinek VM, Oldenburg BF, Peach HG, Ruth D, Tennant CC, Tonkin AM. "Stress and coronary heart disease: psychosocial risk factors." Med J Aust, Vol. 178, pp. 272-276, 2003.