- Volume 15 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Effects of Preceptorship on Nursing Students' Clinical Competency, Stress of Clinical Practice, and Practice Satisfaction in Clinical Practice
프리셉터십 적용이 간호학생의 임상수행능력, 임상실습 스트레스, 임상실습 만족도에 미치는 효과
- Hong, Sung-Jung (Department of nursing, Semyung University) ;
- Kim, Eunhee (Department of nursing, Suseong College)
- Received : 2014.06.18
- Accepted : 2014.10.10
- Published : 2014.10.31
This study examined effects of preceptorship in a clinical maternity nursing course. The study design was a quasi-experimental, nonequivalent control group post-test design. The control groups (n=70, from July to October, 2012) participated in traditional practice method and the experimental groups (n=70, from December, 2012, to February, 2013) participated by a preceptor who attended a systematic preceptor education program. The data analyzed included the numbers, percentages, mean, standard deviation, and t-test using SPSS 19.0/WIN. In the experimental group, the clinical competency and practice satisfaction showed significantly higher scores, and the stress of clinical practice showed significantly lower scores than control group. Consequently, the preceptorship was effective in clinical maternity nursing education for student nurses and it is necessary to adapt this many areas in the clinical nursing education field for nursing students.
Preceptorship;Maternity nursing;Professional Competence;Satisfaction;Stress
- Profetto-McGrath J. "Critical thinking and evidence-based practice", Journal of Professional Nursing, 21(6), 364- 371, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2005.10.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2005.10.002
- Chaung, S. K. "Critical thinking disposition, problem solving ability and clinical competence in nursing students", Journal Of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, 18(1), 71-78, 2011.
- Larew, C., Lessans, S., Spunt, D., Foster, D., & Covington, B. G. "Innovations in clinical application of Benner's theory in an interactive patient care simulation", Nursing Education Perspectives, 27, 16-21, 2006.
- Shin, K. A., & Cho, B. H. "Professional self-concept, critical thinking disposition and clinical competence in nursing students", Journal of Korean academic society of nursing education, 19(1), 46-56, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.1.046 https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.1.046
- Park, J. W., Kim, K. S., & Bang, K. S. "Preceptor's perception of student perception and comparison of perception of the students' clinical competence readiness between nurses and students", Journal of Korean Academy Society Nursing Education, 16(2), 213-221, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2010.16.2.213 https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2010.16.2.213
- Cho, M. H., & Kwon, I. S. "A study on the clinical practice experiences on nursing activities of nursing students", Journal of Korean Academy Society Nursing Education, 13(2), 143-154, 2007.
- Lee, J. D., & Lee, C. S. "The effects of preceptorship on nursing students' critical thinking propensity, clinical competency and satisfaction of clinical practice", Journal of Korean Academy Nursing Administration, 12(3), 434-443, 2006.
- Park, J. H., Jung, E., Ko, J. K., & Yoo, H. B. "Delivery training for undergraduate medical students using birth simulator", Korean Journal of obstetrics & gynecology, 51(9), 950-956, 2008.
- Kim, S. A., Lee, S. K., & Chae, H. J. "Effects of clinical practice and simulation-based practice for obstetrical nursing", Journal of Korean Academy of Womens Health Nursing, 18(3), 180-189, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2012.18.3.180 https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2012.18.3.180
- Chung, C. W., Kim, H. S., & Park, Y. S. "Effects of high-fidelity simulation-based education on maternity nursing", Perspectives in Nursing Science, 8(2), 86-96, 2011.
- Lee, S. E. "Evaluation of the standardized patients(SP) managed instruction for a maternity nursing course", Journal of Korean Academy Society Nursing Education, 7(1), 14-24, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.1.014 https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.1.014
- Lee, W. S., & Kim, M. O. "Effects and adequacy of high-fidelity simulation-based training for obstetrical nursing", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 41(4), 433-443, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.4.433 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.4.433
- Kim, E. H., & Oh, Y. H. "An investigational study of nursing college student's clinical practice satisfaction", Journal of Korean Academy Society Nursing Education, 6(2), 186-198, 2000.
- Bellinger, S. R. & McClosky, J. C. "Are preceptors for orientation of new nurses effective?", Journal of Professional Nursing, 8(6), 321-327, 1992. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/8755-7223(92)90094-F https://doi.org/10.1016/8755-7223(92)90094-F
- Zilenbo, M., & Monterosso, L. "Towards a conceptual framework for preceptorship in the clinical education of undergraduate nursing students", Contemp Nurs, 30, 89-94, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5172/conu.618.104.22.168 https://doi.org/10.5172/conu.622.214.171.124
- Blum, C. A. "Development of a clinical preceptor model", Nursing Education, 34(1), 29-33, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/01.NNE.0000343394.73329.1d https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NNE.0000343394.73329.1d
- Faul, F., Erdfelder, E., Lang, A.-G., & Buchner, A. "G*Power 3: A flexible statistical power analysis for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences", Behavior Research Methods, 39, 175-191, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146 https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146
- Barrett, C., & Myrick, F. "Job satisfaction in preceptorship and its effect on the clinical performance of the preceptee", Journal of Advanced Nursing, 27, 364-371. 1998. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.1998.00511.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.1998.00511.x
- Lee, S. J. "Level satisfaction on clinical practice of baccalaureate nursing students", Journal of Korean Academy Nursing, 10(2), 41-52, 1980.
- Cho, M. S. "A study on the relationship between teaching effectiveness of clinical education and clinical competency in nursing students.", Unpublished master thesis, Ehwa University, Seoul, 2005.
- Whang, S. J. "The relationship between clinical stress, self-efficacy, and self-esteem of nursing college students", Journal of Korean academic society of nursing education, 12, 205-213, 2006
- Beck, D. L., & Srivastave, R. "Perceived level and Sources of stress in baccalaureate nursing students", Journal of Nursing Education, 30(3), 127-133, 1991
- Kim, S. L., & Lee, J. E. "Relationship among stress, coping strategies, and self-esteem in nursing students taking clinical experience", Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 11(1), 98-106, 2005
- Han, S. J. "A study on relationship between empowerment and satisfaction of clinical practice in nursing students", Journal of Korean Academy Society Nursing Education, 6(1), 132-146, 2000
- Park, H. J., & Jang, I. S. "Stress, Depression, Coping Styles and Satisfaction of Clinical Practice in Nursing Students", Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 16(1), 14-23, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.1.14 https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2010.16.1.014
- Choi, K. O., Jo, H. S., Kim, C. Y.,, Kim, B. Y., & Chang, S. J. "The teaching effectiveness of preceptorship and satisfaction of student for clinical practice on nursing education", Journal of Korean Academy Nursing Administration, 8(1), 73-83, 2002.
- Lee, O. S., & Gu, M. O. "The Relationship between Emotional intelligence and Communication skill, Clinical competence & Clinical practice stress in Nursing Students", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 14(6), 2749-2759, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.6.2749 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.6.2749
- Affecting Factors on Clinical Competence of Nursing Students vol.16, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.3.1884