- Volume 15 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of the reduced scalp dose at Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy(VMAT)
전뇌조사의 체적변조회전치료 시 두피선량 감소에 관한 평가
- Received : 2014.07.15
- Accepted : 2014.10.10
- Published : 2014.10.31
The use of WBRT(whole brain radiation therapy) has increased due to the increase in the incidence of metastatic brain tumors. The development of radiation therapy techniques is expected to improve the quality of life. The VMAT (Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy) is an excellent treatment technique that can distinguish the dose in each volume. Therefore, this study compared conventional WBRT and VMAT for hair loss according to the scalp dose using a head phantom. The CI (Conformity Index), HI (Homogeneity Index) and QOC (Quality of Coverage) were measured brain tissue. A 20 percent and 50 percent dose was measured at the scalp, eyeball, lens, and c-spine. Conventional WBRT is excellent at 10 percent of brain tissue. VMAT is far superior at 1000 percent at the other organs. VMAT at the prescribed dose can be used as radiation therapy of metastatic brain tumors with less hair loss.
Alopecia;Brain Cancer;Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy;Whole Brain Radiation Therapy
- J. H. Lee, K. Y. Choi, I. Y. Kim, et al., "Usefulness of 11C-methionine PET in the Diagnosis and Management of Tumor Seeding after Stereotactic Biopsy -Case Report-", Brain Tumor Research and Treatment, pp. 149-154, Jun, 2014.
- D. S. Sun, L. K. Hu, Y. Cai, et al., "A Systematic Review of Risk Factors for Brain Metastases and Value of Prophylactic Cranial Irradiation in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer", Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention, pp. 1233-1239, Apr, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1233 https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1233
- F. Andre, K. Slimane, T. Bachelot, et al., "Breast cancer with synchronous metastases: trends in survival during a 14-year period", J Clin Oncol, pp. 3302-3308, Feb, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2004.08.095 https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2004.08.095
- A. Zabel, S. Milker-Zabel, C. Thilmann, et al., "Treatment of brain metastases in patients with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) by stereotactic linac-based radiosurgery: prognostic factors", Lung Cancer, pp. 87-94, Jul, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0169-5002(02)00030-2 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-5002(02)00030-2
- J. S. Lee, "Cancer Facts & Figures 2014 in the Republic of Korea", Ministry of Health & Welfare Republic of Korea, pp. 1-138, Jul, 2014.
- E. J. Kim, "Study on antitumor effect of poly-gamma-glutamate in combination with cyclophosphamide", University of Science & Technology, pp. 1-54, Aug, 2013.
- K. W. Jung, Y. J. W, H. J. Kong, et al., "Cancer Statistics in Korea: Incidence, Mortality, Survival, and Prevalence in 2011", Cancer Res Treat, pp. 109-123, Apr, 2014.
- W. S. Lee, Y. H. Kim, J. H. Han, et al., "Stereotactic Radiosurgery for Brain Metastases from Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer", Brain Tumor Research and Treatment, pp. 38-44. Feb, 2012.
- C. H. Lee, "The role of surgical resection in managements of brain metastasis : a 17-year longitudinal study", Seoul National University, pp. 1-32, Sep, 2012.
- M. K. Kang, "Comparison of the Dose of the Normal Tissues among Various Conventional Techniques for Whole Brain Radiotherapy", The Korean Society for Radiation Oncology, pp. 99-105, Apr, 2010. https://doi.org/10.3857/jkstro.2010.28.2.99
- D. W. Andrews, C. B. Scott, P. W. Sperduto, A. E. Flanders, L. E. Gaspar, M. C. Schell, et al., "Whole brain radiation therapy with or without stereotactic radiosurgery boost for patients with one to three brain metastases: phase III results of the RTOG 9508 randomised trial", The Lancet, pp. 1665, May, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(04)16250-8 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(04)16250-8
- J. Y. Jang, S. Y. Park, J. S. Kim, et al., "Scalp Dose Evaluation According Radiation Therapy Technique of Whole Brain Radiation Therapy", Korea Society Radiotherapeutic Technology, pp. 103-108, Aug, 2011.
- M. H. Jang, "The Influence of Wearing Wigs on the Quality of Life the Female Cancer Patients Who Started Losing Hair", Kosin University, pp. 1-132, Feb, 2008.
- L. Feuvret, G. Noel, J. J. Mazeron, "Conformity index: A review", Int J Radiation Oncology Biol Phys, 64, pp. 333-342, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2005.09.028 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2005.09.028
- W. R. Lee, L. Daniel, RTOG 0415: A phase III randomized study of hypofractionated 3D-CRT/IMR versus conventionally fractionated 3D-CRT/IMRT in patients with favorable-risk prostate cancer, Radiation Therapy Oncology Group, Mahul, 2009.
- H. D. Kim, B. Y. Kim, S. J. Kim, et al. "Influence of Couch and Collimator on Dose Distribution of RapidArc Treatment Planning for Prostate Cancer in Radiation Therapy", Korean J Med Phys, pp. 99-105, Jun, 2012.
- H. J. Park, M. H. Kim, M. Chun, et al. "Effects of Arc Number or Rotation Range upon Dose Distribution at RapidArc Planning for Liver Cancer", Korean J Med Phys, pp. 165-173, Jun, 2012.
- Korean institute of radiological & medical sciences, Researh on the Medical Preparedness for Radiological Emergencies and the International Co-operation in the Region of the Far East Asia, Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning, Korea, 2002.