- Volume 15 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Comparative Research on the Health Information Manager(HIM) Duties of One Malaysian Hospital and Similar Scale Korean hospitals
말레이시아 1개 병원과 병상규모가 유사한 한국의 병원 간 보건정보관리자 직무 비교연구
- Kim, Hey-Kyung (Department of Nursing, Jungwon University) ;
- Lee, Hyun-Ju (Department of Medical Information & Health, Jungwon University)
- Received : 2014.06.16
- Accepted : 2014.10.10
- Published : 2014.10.31
The aim of this study was to perform comparative analysis of the duties of 7 new roles of HIMs in Malaysian and Korean hospitals of a similar scale. A Malaysian general hospital with a scale of 272 hospital beds was chosen. The researcher visited a Malaysian hospital in person and interviewed the staff in charge over a 2 week period from July 22nd 2013 to August 2nd 2013. For domestic hospitals, 13 general hospitals with 270 hospital beds, similar to the Malaysian general hospital, were chosen. Phone interviews with the department recorded the duty recording work. Regarding 7 new roles of Health Information Manager (HIM), although the role as a Health information manager and Security Officer in Malaysian general hospital was not defined, 30.8% performed their role in Korean general hospitals. The classification of disease & procedure within the role of Clinical data specialist was performed by both countries, and while the tumor registry was done in a Malaysian general hospital, only 15.4% of Korean general hospitals were operating. The statistics of the discharged patients were not measured in the Malaysian general hospital but 76.9% of Korean general hospitals recorded these statistics. Although 22.1% of Korean general hospitals operated registration work of special disease, Malaysian general hospital not only had a total legal contagious disease registration, but also took charge of information registration of hospital births and deceased ones. Other than these, the Patient Information Coordinator, Data Quality Manager, Document and Repository Manager, Research and Decision Support Analyst roles were not done by either country. The new role of HIM is operated in a low percentage in Korean middle and small hospitals. Therefore, to clearly establish the role of HIM in Korea, and have middle and small hospitals to operate such a role, it is essential for the related association to give continuous education and provide support to clarify the role within the hospital working environment. It is desirable to benchmark Malaysian general hospital's registration work on special diseases and others, and expand the work to improve overall.
- S. H. Kang, B. B. Ku, B. S. Kim, W. J. Kim, H. K. Kim, W. S. Park, H. D. Song, C. H. Ha. Hospital business and information management. 1st ed. Korea medical book publishing Co. p.2-7, 2002.
- Greenberg M. Health Information Management in the Electronic and Global Age. Proceedings 15th Congress of International Federation of Health Records Organizations, p. 2-43, 2007.
- S. H. Kang. A role of Health Information Managers in no paper hospital. J HIMI, p.83-98 ,2006; 12.
- Y. K. Bu. Job analysis of Medical record administrator. 66th Korean Medical records association magazine, p.6-20, 2008.
- S. N. Kang. The Study on Educational System of Medical Record Administrators -Problems and Solutions-. J HIMI, p. 1-28, 2004; 10.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. Medical technician etc. Act enforcement ordinance 23802 article 2(7).
- J. H. Hong. Medical Record Information management 7th ed Ko-mun publishing Co. p.5-22, 53-56. 2013.
- American Health Information Management Association: Vision 2008, Vision 2016: Available From: http://www.ahima.org. (accessed Dec., 23, 2013)
- Canadian Health Information Management Association (2013): Education and Standard of CHIMA: Available From: http://www.echima.ca (accessed Jan., 6, 2014)
- Health Information Management Association of Australia(2013) New and Education of HIMAA: Available From: http://www.himaa.org.au (accessed Jan., 6, 2014)
- S. R. Lee. Essential Medical record. Shinkwang publishing Co. p. 40-52. 2009.
- Histroy of Korean Medical Record Administrator : Available From: http://www.kmra.or.kr/grouppr/ history_1980.asp (accessed Dec., 23, 2013)
- J. S. Seo. Using of Health Information and Standardization of students' practice. Proceedings 2nd Workshop for Medical record department manager and professor, p.113-118, 2001.
- D. H. Oh. Web based Electronic medical record system. 18th spring Symposium of The Korean Society of Medical Informatics, 2002.
- E. H. Lee, H. S. Oh. An Effect of Personal Information Protection Awareness on Information Protection Management, for medical works. J HIMI, p.15-23, 2006; 26
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. Medical technician etc. Act 11860 article 1-2. Definition.
- Korean Medical Record Association. Education of KMRA : Available From: http://www.kmra.or.kr/manager/education.asp(accessed Dec., 23, 2013)
- E. M. Choi, Y. H. Kim, B J. Yoon, Y. S. Kim. A study on the Perceived role of the Health Information Manager, Job satisfaction and Organizational commitment of medical record technician, p. 78-89 2003: 28(1).
- Aspiazu B, Balentine D, Bartholomew K, Bowman K. Climbing higher: bridging the gap to advanced degrees in HIM. J AHIMA p. 48-54, 2012; 83(8).
- Chernikoff L. The future is now: engaging the next generation of HIM professionals. J AHIMA 2012; 83(8): 36-37
- McKnight WG, Madden A. HIM collaborating with physicians on ICD-10. J AHIMA, p.40-42. 2012; 83(11).
- S. W. Lee. The Role of Health Information Managers in Developing Korean Health Statistics System. Proceedings 15th Congress of International Federation of Health Records Organizations, p.56-57, 2007.
- Loos M, Miller K. Digital Radiology a New Field of Work for health Information Managers. Proceedings 15th Congress of International Federation of Health Records Organizations, p.87-88, 2007.
- B. Y. Park, M. G. Kang. The Factors Influencing on perceived Competence as a Health Information Manager in Korean Medical Records, J HIMI, p.41-68, 2008; 18.
- Ronny EG. The HIM Professional Role Applied in Case-Mix Program at Women's & Children's Hospital Harapan Kita. Proceedings 15th Congress of International Federation of Health Records Organizations, p.112-113, 2007.
- Skurka MA. HIM Education : Clinical Placement, On Site Experiences and Virtual Labs. Proceedings 15th Congress of International Federation of Health Records Organizations, p.11, 2007.
- Health Insurance and Review Service. General Hospital in Korea: Available From: http://www.hira.or.kr/rdc_hospsearch.hospsearch.do?method=hospital&pgmid=HIRAA030002000000 (accessed Oct., 18, 2013)
- Korean Standard Classification of Diseases 6th ed. The National Statistical Office and Korean Medical Record Association & KMRA, 2010.
- World Health Organization. ICD-10 coding version. Available From: http://apps.who.int/classifications/icd10/browse/2010/en#/k26 (accessed Jan., 6, 2014)
- S. J. An, S. M. Kwon. A Development of the Model for Evaluating the Security. Korean Journal of Hospital management, p.98-112, 2005; 10(4).
- S. K. Huh, S. Y Lim. Medical recorders' job performance by the availability of EMR system. J HIMI, p.21-30, 2012; 24.
- K. J. Park. A way for Private Health Information Protection, Education on Privacy protection and Security by KMRA, 2006.
- H. J. Lee, O. R. Mun, B. H. Cho. Problem and way to improve of user management on protection patient information in the hospital with EMR. J HIM, p.33-50, 2007; 14.
- K. S. Cha. New media service Private Information Guideline. Local Informatization Magazine, p.40-43, 2012; 73.
- Ministry of Security and Public Administration. Private Information Protection Act 11690.(Korean)
- H. J. Ryu, Patient Monitoring System Interface Based on HL7 in ICU Environment. Proceedings 15th Congress of International Federation of Health Records Organizations, p.88-89, 2007.
- Mahani-Binti A.H. MOH. Malaysian-Healthcare-System Available From: http://www.moh.gov.my/ (accessed Jan., 6, 2014)