- Volume 15 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Empirical Study on the Factors Impacting on Supervisee's Satisfaction in Coaching Supervision
코칭 슈퍼비전에 있어 슈퍼바이지의 만족도에 영향을 미치는 요인에 관한 실증연구
- Kim, Yong-Ku (Healing-Coaching Center) ;
- Chae, Myung-Sin (Seoul Venture University Industrial Management)
- Received : 2014.09.04
- Accepted : 2014.10.10
- Published : 2014.10.31
This is an empirical study of the factors impacting on supervisee's satisfaction on coaching and supervision in Korea. The study set four independent variables (supervisor, supervisee, contents, and organization), a moderator variable (relationship between the supervisor and supervisee) and a dependent variable (supervision satisfaction) based on the theoretical background on supervision. The data was collected from a survey of 112 certified coaches who had experienced supervision. As a results of the hypotheses tests, the supervisor and organization factors affected the supervision satisfaction. The relationship between the supervisor and supervisee moderates the impact of the supervisor and supervisee on the supervision satisfaction. They reported that the effectiveness of the coaching supervision in Korea was strongly dependent on the supervisors. These results were attributed to the short history of the coaching supervision and the lack of experience related to it. They also suggested that a great deal of research on coaching supervision will be needed to develop a clear identity/framework of coaching supervisor and its methods.
coaching supervision;supervisee's satisfied factors
- International Coach Federation, Red Flags: It's coaching unless..[Internet]. Lexington(KY): International Coach Federation, c2014[cited 2014 May 21], Available From: http://coachfederation.org/prdetail.cfrn?IternNumber=17838&RDtoken=5874&userID.
- Peterson, D. B. and Hicks, M. D., "Leader as coach: Strategies for coaching and developing others", In Youngsoo Song, A Study on Outside Professional Coach's Competencies, The Korean Journal of Human Resource Development, 13(1), pp. 53-73, 2011. https://doi.org/10.18211/kjhrdq.2011.13.1.003
- Hill, C. E., Charles, D., and Reed, K. G., A longitudinal analysis of changes in counseling skills during doctoral training in counseling psychology. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 28, pp. 428-436, 1981. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-0184.108.40.2068 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0220.127.116.118
- Howard Morgan, Phil Harkins and Mashall Goldsmith, The Art and Practice of Leadership Coaching: 50 Top Executive Coaches Reveal Their Secrets, (68), Linkage, Inc. 2005.
- Jonathan Passmore, Supervision and countinuous professional developmnet in coaching, Supervision in Coaching: Supervision, ethics and continuous professional developmnet, pp. 3-9, Kogan Page Limited, 2011.
- Sooyoun Soh, Sungsook Chang, A Study on the Components of Effective Supervision Perceived by Supervisors, Korea Journal of Counseling, 12(3), pp. 1051-1067, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15703/kjc.12.3.201106.1051 https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.12.3.201106.1051
- Bluckert, P., Coaching supervision, Bingley: Peter Bluckery Coaching, Available From: http://www.pbcoaching.com/executive-coaching/, Jun, 12, 2014.
- Bachkirova, T., Stevens, P., and Willis, P., Coaching supervision, Oxford: Oxford Brookes, 2005, Available from : http://business.brookes.ac.uk/commercial/work/iccld/coaching-mentoring/, Jun, 12, 2014.
- Joyce E. Bono, Radostina K. Purvanova, Annette J. Towler and David B. Peterson, A Survey of Executive Coaching Practices, Personnel Psychology, 62(2), pp. 361-404, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.2009.01142.x
- Yoonhee Park, YoungWha Kee, An Analysis on the Previous Studies of Coaches' Competency, The Korean Journal of Human Resource Development, 11(3), pp, 155-174, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1177/1523422309333494
- Nicholas Ladany and Loretta J. Bradley, Counselor Supervision(4th ed.), In Yeonggwon Yoo, Yusuk An, Jeongseon Lee, Inae Eun, Gyeongsuk Ryu, Juhui Choi(Trans.), pp. 18-23, 433-453, Hakjisa, 2013.
- Goodyear, R. K., & Guzzardo, C. R.. Psychotherapy supervision and training. pp.83-108, In S. Brown & R. W. Lent (Eds.), Handbook of counseling psychology (3rd ed.), 2000
- Mary Ann Mattoon, Historical Notes, In Paul Kugler (Eds.), Jungian perspectives on Clinical Supervision, pp. 30-38, Daimon, Einsiedeln, Switzerland and Individual authors, 1995.
- Lawrence, P., and Whyte, A., What is coaching supervision and is it important? Coaching, 7(1), pp. 39-55, 2014.
- Kadushin, A. and D., Harkness, Supervision in Social Work, pp. 8-10, 329-386, NY: Colombia University Press, 2002.
- Sissel Reichelt and Jan Skjerve, Correspondence between supervisors and trainees in their perception of supervision events, Journal of Clinical Psychology, 58(7), pp. 759-772, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/jclp.2003 https://doi.org/10.1002/jclp.2003
- Worthen, V. and McNeil, B. W., A Phenomenological investigation of "good" supervision events, Journal of Counseling Psychology, 43, pp. 25-34, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-018.104.22.168 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-022.214.171.124
- Holloway, E. L. and Neufeldt, S. A., Supervision: Its contribution to treatment efficacy. Journal of Counsulting and Clinical Psychology, 63(2), pp. 207-213, 1995. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.63.2.207 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.63.2.207
- Kilminster, S. M. and B. C. Jolly, Effective Supervision in clinical Practice Setting, Medical education. 34(10), pp. 827-840. 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2923.2000.00758.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2923.2000.00758.x
- Robert Haynes, Gerald Corey and Patrice Moulton, Clinical Supervision in the Helping Professions: A Practical Guide, (translators: Changdae Kim, Seonggyeong Yoo, Hyeongsu Kim, Hanna Choi), pp. 6-399. Cengage Learning, 2003.
- Ming-sum Tsui, Social Work Supervision: Contexts and Concepts, Sage Publication, pp. 11-146, 2004.
- Munson, C. E., Handbook of Clinical Social Work Supervision, pp. 1-472, The Haworth Social Work Practice Press, 2002.
- Holloway, E. L. Clinical Supervision: A systems approach, pp. 1-232, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 1995.
- Nicholas Ladany and Leretta J. Bradley(ed.), Counselor Supervison: principles, process and practice, pp. 5-206, 271-302, 342-360, Taylor and Francis, 2001.
- Jan Hughes, Practical aspects of supervision: All you ever wanted to know but were too afraid to ask, in Ian Fleming and Linda Steen(ed.), Supervision and Clinical Psychology: Theory, Practice and Perspectives(2nd ed.), pp. 184-206, Routledgy, 2012.
- Migyeong Choi, A Study on Supervision Recognition Between Supervisors and Social Workers in Social Welfare Cente, pp. 34-64, The Graduate School of Ewha Womans University, 1997.
- Holloway, E. L., Developmental models of supervision: Is it developments? Professional Psychology; Theory Research and Practice, 1, pp. 139-141. 1987.
- Jeong Sun Ahn, A Study on the Development of Standards System for Social Work Supervision: Focused on Staff Supervision at the Community Welfare Center, pp.10-24, 77-78, 96-97, 133-139, The Graduate School of Seoul Women's University, 2007.
- Wonhee Choi, Delphi and AHP Analysis on the Critical Success Factors(CSFs) of Social Work Supervision, pp. 6-40, The Graduate School of Seoul Women's University, 2009.
- Sooyoun Soh, A Study on the Exploration of Effective Supervision Factors from Supervisors and the Development of a Supervision Performance Scale, pp. 29-94,, Catholic University of Korea
- Bernard, J. M. and Goodyear, R. K,. Fundamentals of clinical supervision(3rd. Ed.), pp. 101-158, Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon. 2004.
- Hanna Choi, Dimensionality of supervisees' perception of a good supervisory relationship, pp. 7-12, 76-80, Graduate School Seoul National University, 2007.
- Munson, Carlton E., Sex roles and power relationships in supervision, Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 18(3), pp. 236-243, 1987. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0735-7028.18.3.236 https://doi.org/10.1037/0735-7028.18.3.236
- Munson, C. E.(ed.), Social work supervision classic statements and critical issues. pp. 116, 285-289, NY: Free Press, 1979.
- Kaiser, T. L., Supervisory Relationship: Exploring the Human Elements. Pacific Grove, pp. 9-15, 32-48, CA: Brooks/Cole, 1997.
- Kyunghee Kim, Eunjue Jung, Job Satisfaction of Social Workers in Community Service Centers of Seoul, Journal of Social, (12), pp. 107-131, 2006.
- Kadushin, A., A survey, Social Work, vol. 19, 288-298, 1974. https://doi.org/10.1093/sw/19.3.288
- Huija Sung, The Influence of Supervision on Social Workers' Self-Efficacy : In Community Welfare Centers, Journal of community welfare, (22), pp. 73-91, 2007.
- Naver encyclopedia of knowledge, Organization, Doopedia, Available from: http://terms.naver.com/entry.nhn?docId=1142125&cid=409 42&categoryId=31611, Sep. 1, 2014.
- Alfred W. Travers, Supervision: Techniques and new Dimensions. pp. 70, 169-175, Prentice-Hall, Inc. 1988.
- Bogo, M. and K., McKnight, Clinical Supervision in Social Work: A Review of the Research Literature, pp. 49-67, Publishing models and article dates explained, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1300/J001v24n01_04 https://doi.org/10.1300/J001v24n01_04
- Jiyeon Lee, Cyber Career Counseling Supervision, pp. 27-28, Korean job capability development institute, 2008.
- Sangjun Kang, A Study on Effects of Practice Supprot System of Facilities on Supervisors' Satisfaction with Supervision, pp. 84-93, Graduate School of Catholic University, 2006.
- Morrison, T., Supervision: Purposes, policies and definitions, pp. 13-47, Staff Supervision in Social Care. Pavilion, 2001.
- Holloway, E. L., Supervision: A way of teaching and learning, In S. D. Brown and R. W. Lent (Eds.), Handbook of counseling psychology, pp. 177-214. NY: John Wiley, 1992.
- Nicholas Ladany, Michael V. Ellis, and Myrna L. Fredlander, The Supervisory Working Alliance, Trainee self-efficacy, and Satisfaction, Journal of Counseling & Development, 77(4), pp. 447-455, 1999. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/j.1556-6676.1999.tb02472.x https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1556-6676.1999.tb02472.x
- Hepper, P. P. & Handley, P. G., A Study of the Interpersonal Influence Process in Supervision, Journal of Counseling Psychology, Vol. 28., pp. 437-444, 1981. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-0126.96.36.1997 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0188.8.131.527
- Cary Cherniss and Edward Egnatios, Clinical Supervision in Community Mental Health, in Munson, C. E(ed). Social work supervision: classic statements and critical issues. pp. 297-302. New York: Free Press. 1979.
- Landany, N., Hill, C. E., Corbett, M. M., and Nutt, E. A., The nature, extent and importance of what psychotherapy trainees do not disclose to their supervisors, Journal of Counseling Psychology, vol. 43, pp. 10-24, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-0184.108.40.206 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0220.127.116.11
- Nunnally, Jun C. Psychometric Theory, New York, McGrawHil, 1967
- Jijoon Song, Necessary SPSS & AMOS for dissertation, 21st century company, 2009.