- Volume 15 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Effects of the Social Capital of individual Civil Servants on the Efficiency of Public Service - Focus of civil servants in Jeju province
공무원 개인의 사회적자본이 공직업무효율성에 미치는 영향 - 제주특별자치도 공무원을 대상으로
- Received : 2014.06.24
- Accepted : 2014.10.10
- Published : 2014.10.31
This survey research was performed to determine the social capital that public officials generate within the relationship of the community at the individual level by performing their public office work as an administrative duty. To this end, a survey was conducted on 500 civil servants in Jeju province. The survey period was May 19-23, 2014. 476 subjects were analyzed using a T-test, One way ANOVA, and multiple regression analysis to on SPSS 19.0Win software. As a result of the analysis, 1. The norms of the community cultural, male staff participation and cooperation, and social capital level of civil servants, showed a significantly higher association than female civil servants. There was a difference between the populations of registration to an association to the work location type. In addition, the social capital increases generally as the level of the officers increases. 2. The sub-category in the social capital of a personal level on civil servants family & associates trust, participation & cooperation and neighbor trust had a positive impact on the efficiency of public services. On the other hand, community cultural associations (network) did not have an influence on efficiency.
Civil Servant;Social Capital;Efficiency of Public Services
- J. S. Lee., & Y. J. Yoon., et al., New Public Administration(5th), pp.591-597, Seoul: Daeyoung Co., 2008.
- J. K. Her., Public Management, pp.42, Seoul: KNOU-PRESS, 2002.
- L. J. Hanifan., The Rural School community Centre, Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Sciences, 67, pp.130-138, 1916. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/000271621606700118 https://doi.org/10.1177/000271621606700118
- P. Bourdieu., The Forms of Capital. In Richardson, J. G.(Ed.). Handbook of Theory and Research for the Sociology of Education., pp.241-258, New York: Greenwood Press, 1986.
- F. Fukuyama., Trust: The Social Virtues and the Creation of Prosperity, New York: Free Press, 1995.
- J. Coleman., Social Capital in the Creation of Human Capital, The American Journal of Sociology, 94, pp.95-120, 1988. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1086/228943 https://doi.org/10.1086/228943
- R. D. Putnam., Making Democracy Work, Civic Traditions in Modern Italy, Princeton University Press, 1993; C. S. Ahn. et al.,(translated), Social Capital and Democracy, Seoul: Parkyoungsa, 2000.
- R. D. Putnam., Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of Community, New York: Touchastone Books, 2000.
- F. Fukuyama., Social Capital, Civil Society, and Development. Third World Quarterly, 22(1), pp.7-20, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/713701144 https://doi.org/10.1080/713701144
- N. Lin., Social Capital. Cambridge, London: Cambridge University Press, 2001.
- D. W. Lee., K. Y. Jeong., J. Park., S. B. Chae., & S. Han., Capital of 3th, Seoul: Samsung Economic Research Institute, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/CBO9780511815447
- R. D. Putnam., R. Leonardi., & R. Nanetti., Making Democracy Work. New Jersey: Princeton University Press, 1993.
- R. La Porta., et al, The Quality of Government. Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, 15(1) pp.222-279, 1999. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/jleo/15.1.222 https://doi.org/10.1093/jleo/15.1.222
- S. T. Suh., The Role and Task of Urban Planning for Building Social Capital: Approaches and Policy Implications, The Korea Spatial Planning Review, 33, pp.73-87, 2002.
- J. K. So., The Logic of Connecting Local Autonomy system with Regional Development through Accumulating Social Capital, The Korea Local Administration Review, 18(2), pp.67-90, 2004.
- J. K. So., Toward Developing Social Capital Indicators, Journal of The Korean Reginal Development Association, 16(1), pp.89-118, 2004.
- T. S. Ahn., The Effect of Social Capital on Local Governance: Focused on Gyeonggi Province's Community Welfare Association, Dept. of Social Welfare, The Graduate School of Kangnam University, Doctoral Dissertation, 2010.
- K. S. Lim., The Reinterpretation of Saemaul Undong through Social Capital and Community Governance, The Korea Local Administration Review, 26(3), pp.27-58, 2012.
- S. C. Lee., Studies on Village Ceremony Spirit and Social Capital of Village Community: Focused on the east coastal region, Journal of Korean Studies, 43, pp.429-459, 2012.
- D. W. Ko., A Model of Sustainable Rural Tourism Development for Building Social Capital, Journal of Tourism Sciences, 33(5), pp.411-431, 2009.
- C. O. Um. & S. W. Park., Social capital Formation Policies for the Activation of Local-Based Industry, Journal of Regional Studies, 19(1), pp.137-157, 2011.
- S. H. Park. & B. H. Park., Influence of Neighborhood's Characters on Social Capital, Social Welfare Policy, 39(2), pp.85-123, 2012.
- R. D. Putnam., The Prosperous Community: Social Capital and Public Life, The American Prospect, 13(4), pp.35-42, 1993.
- S. W. Park., Search for Participation of Civil Society: Enable Civil Society and Governmnet, the role of Business, Research for Social Development, 7, pp.133-165, 2000.
- G. S. Jeong. & I. B. Jang., Analysis of the Recognition of Local Officials on the Formation Factor of Social Capital at the Local Level, The Journal of Korean Policy Studies, 7(2), pp.143-165, 2007.
- J. Nahapiet. & S. Ghoshal., Social Capital, Intellectual Capita., and the Organizational Advantage, Academy of Management Review, 23(2), pp.242-265, 1998. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5465/AMR.1998.533225 https://doi.org/10.5465/AMR.1998.533225
- H. J. Song., Re-interpretation of Social Capital in Organization-with Perspective of Communicative Theory, The Korean Journal of Human Resource Development, 12(1), pp.237-264, 2010. https://doi.org/10.18211/kjhrdq.2010.12.1.011
- T. J. Kim., A. N. Kim., N. H. Kim., B. J. Lee. & J. Han., The Study of Measuring Citizenship for Developing social Capital, Korean Educational Development Institute, 2003.
- S. H. Kim., An Individual-Level Study on the Components of Social Capital and Their Relationships, Korean Political Science Review, 42(2), pp.67-88, 2008. https://doi.org/10.18854/kpsr.2008.42.2.004
- Jeju Special Self-Governing Province, Basic Planning Study for the Jeju Special Self-Governing Province Social Capital Expansion, 2014.
- M. H. Lee., S. J. Yoon., & J. W. Jang., Efficiency of Public administration and Building a Management Strategy, The Korea Institute of Public Administration, 2011.