- Volume 15 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Comparative study on the language anxiety levels and factors in different English class environments
영어 수업환경의 유형에 따른 언어불안 정도와 불안요인에 대한 비교분석
- Received : 2014.06.19
- Accepted : 2014.10.10
- Published : 2014.10.31
This study examined the levels of language anxiety and their causal factors in different English class environments. The findings show that the levels of language anxiety vary significantly in different types of class environments, indicating that both the class environments and individual characteristics are meaningful variables of language anxiety. The findings also show that unlike the levels of language anxiety, its causal factors are almost constant regardless of the class environment with communication apprehension being the most important factor. This study suggests that the English proficiency of students and professors needs to be considered when constructing specific class environments, in addition to promoting class environments favorable to students' active participation in class.
Class Environments;English Education;Individual Characteristics;Language Anxiety
- K. Kim, "Teaching English through English", English Language Education, pp. 49-69, 26, 2003.
- Y. Pak, "A Study of University Students' Perceptions on TETE", English Language Teaching, pp. 59-82, 17(1), 2005.
- J. Moon, K. Pyo, "A Critical Review of Teaching English through English", Journal of the Korea English Education Society, pp. 135-156, 9(2), 2010. https://doi.org/10.18649/jkees.2010.9.2.135
- J. Nam, "College Students' language Learning Anxiety in the Native Speakers' English Classes", Journal of Language Sciences, pp. 69-89, 18(2), 2011.
- G. Wiggleworth, "The role of the first language in the second language classroom: friend or foe", English Teaching, pp. 17-31, 57(1), 2002.
- S. Kim, W. Lee, "An Evaluation of the english native instructor program of national universities of education", Primary English Education, pp. 35-62, 12(1), 2006.
- J. Lee, "Where to Start Teaching English Through English: Based on Perceived Effectiveness of Teachers"' English Use. English Teaching, pp. 335-354, 62(4), 2007. https://doi.org/10.15858/engtea.62.4.200712.335
- S. Kim, W. Lee, "An Evaluation of the English native instructor program of national universities of education", Primary English Education, pp. 35-62, 12(1), 2006.
- U. Maeng, H. Han, H. Kim, S. Kim, "Needs Analysis and Suggestions of EMI Instructions in Higher Education", English Language and Linguistics, pp. 269-301, 17(3), 2011. https://doi.org/10.17960/ell.2011.17.3.010
- Y. J. Shin, "The Interaction of Teacher-Talk and Student-Talk in the Foreign language Classroom", The Linguistic Association of Korea Journal, pp. 823-303, 7(1), 1999.
- K. Yu, H. Chung, 2009. "A Study of University Students' Perception and Preferences on EMI", English Language and Linguistics, pp. 67-89, 28, 2009.
- M. Kim, How do college students react to TETE? Modern English Education, 10(3), pp. 62-89, 2009.
- E. K. Horwitz, "Language anxiety and achievement", Annual Review of Applied Linguistics, pp. 112-126, 21(1), 2001.
- M. R. Lim, "Effects of Learning Style and Foreign Language Anxiety on English Achievement", The 21st Century Association of English Language and Literature, pp. 223-246, 21(3), 2008.
- E. K. Horwitz, M. B. Horwitz, J. Cope, "Foreign Language Classroom Anxiety", Modern Language Journal, pp. 125-132, 70(2), 1986. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-4781.1986.tb05256.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-4781.1986.tb05256.x
- J. Yun, H. Sohn, "A Study of the Relationship between L2 Learners' Language Anxiety and Proficiency", Foreign Languages Education, pp. 81-100, 19(3), 2012.
- H. Park, "EFL context and learners' affective factors in Korean secondary education", English Language & Literature Teaching, pp. 55-75, 12(1), 2006.
- C. Park, "A Path to Speaking Excellence: Exploring Causes and Effects among Speaking Barriers", English Language & Literature Teaching, pp. 87-110, 13(1), 2007.
- H. J. Oh, E. H. Lee, "College Students towards Teaching English through English and Its Effectiveness", English Language Teaching, pp. 211-229, 22, 2010. https://doi.org/10.17936/pkelt.2010.22.4.009
- H. O. Kim, "Foreign language anxiety among the university students in English medium courses", Modern English Education, pp. 105-124, 13(3), 2012.
- S. Kang, H. Park, Student Beliefs and Attitudes about English Medium Instruction: Report of Questionaire Study. Yonsei Review of Educational Research, pp. 33-53, 17(1), 2004.
- H. Park, "The effects of L2 learners' motivation and anxiety on English speaking skills", Foreign Languages Education, pp. 219-241, 13(4), 2006.
- K. Chastain, "Affective and ability factors in second language acquisition", Language Learning, pp. 153-161, 25(1), 1975. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-1770.1975.tb00115.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-1770.1975.tb00115.x
- E. K. Horwitz, "Foreign and second language anxiety", Language Teaching, pp. 154-167, 43(2), 2010. https://doi.org/10.1017/S026144480999036X
- R. C. Gardner, Social psychology and second language learning: The role of attitudes and motivation. London: Edward Arnold, 1985.
- C. C. Spielberger, Manual for the state-trait Anxiety Inventory (Form Y). Consulting Psychologists Press. 1983.
- M. Swain, B. Burnaby, "Personality characteristics and second language learning in young children: A plot study", Working Papers in Bilingualism, pp. 115-128, 11, 1976.
- P. M. Donley, "Language anxiety and how to manage it: What educators need to know", Mosaic, pp. 3-9, 6(3), 1999.
- P. D. MacIntyre, R. C. Gardner, "Language Anxiety: Its Relationship to Other Anxieties and to Processing in Native and Second Languages", Language Learning, pp. 513-534, 41, 1991. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-1770.1991.tb00691.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-1770.1991.tb00691.x
- R. Pekrun, "Expectancy-value theory of anxiety: Overview and implications", In D. Forgays, T. Sosmowski (Eds.), Anxiety: Recent developments in cognitive, psychological, and health research, pp. 23-39, Hemisphere, 1992.
- A. Bandura, "Self-efficacy conception of anxiety", In R. Schwarzer & R. A. Wickland (Eds.), Anxiety and self-focused attention. pp. 89-110, Harwood Academic Publishers, 1991.
- A. Z. Guoria, Introduction: An epistemology for the language sciences, Language Learning, pp. 6-11, 33, 1883.
- S. Krashen, Principles and practice in second language acquisition. Oxford: Pergamon Press, 1982.
- H. Park, A Study on the effects of native and nonnative English speaking teachers on anxiety and risk-taking, The Linguistic Association of Korea Journal, pp. 159-182, 9(2), 2001.
- S. Jeong, "The Effects of Teachers' on Learner Anxiety and Motivation: A Comparison of Native and Nonnative English Teachers", Master's Thesis, Hanyang University, 2007.
- M. Jo, "An Investigation in Variables of English Speaking Anxiety Levels of ESL Learners in America", Studies in English Language and Literature, pp. 289-308, 36, 2010.
- A. J. Onwuegbuzie, P. Bialey, C. E. Daley, "The Validation of Three Scales Measuring Anxiety at Different Stages of the Foreign Language Learning Process: The Input Anxiety Scale, the Processing Anxiety Scale, and the Output Anxiety Scale, Language Learning, pp. 87-117, 50(1), 1999. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/0023-8333.00112 https://doi.org/10.1111/0023-8333.00112
- T. Gregersen, E. K. Horwitz, Language Learning and Perfectionism: Anxious and Non-Anxious Language Learners' Reactions to Their Own Oral Performance, The Modern Language Journal, pp. 562-570, 86, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/1540-4781.00161 https://doi.org/10.1111/1540-4781.00161
- S. Matsuda, P. Gobel, Anxiety and predictors of performance in the foreign language classroom, System, pp. 21-36, 32, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.system.2003.08.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.system.2003.08.002
- J. D. Jang, "Level of Language Anxiety Relative to Proficiency Levels", English Language Teaching, pp. 15-41, 15, 2003.
- H. J. Kim, "The Relationships among Perceived Competence, Actual Competence and Language Anxiety: Biases in Self-Ratings of Second Language Proficiency", Modern English Education, pp. 68-85, 5, 2004.
- H. Ipek, Foreign language reading anxiety proficiency and gender. The International Journal of Learning, pp. 293-300, 168, 2009.
- H. J. Liu, "Understanding Anxiety in Relation to Motivation, Autonomy, and Language Proficiency", Electronic Journal of Foreign Language Teaching, pp. 123-139, 9, 2012.
- D. J. Young, "Creating a low-anxiety classroom environment: What does language anxiety research suggests?", The Modern Language Journal, pp. 426-439, 75, 1991. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-4781.1991.tb05378.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-4781.1991.tb05378.x
- M. L. Price, The subjective experience of foreign language anxiety: Interviews with highly anxious students. In E. K. Horwitz & Young, D. J. (Eds.), Language anxiety (pp. 101-108), Prentice-Hall, 1991.
- H. Park, The Effects of Anxiety on Korean EFL Learners' Achievement. The Linguistic Association of Korea Journal, pp. 171-191, 10(3), 2002.
- Y. M. Yoo, K. H. Pyo, "A Study of College Students' Speaking Anxiety in English Conversation Classes with a Native Speaker Teacher", Studies in Foreign Language Education, pp. 59-84, 23, 2009. https://doi.org/10.16933/sfle.2009.23.2.59
- B. Kim, H. Kim, "Differences in teachers' and learners' perspective on ELT learners' anxiety", English Language & Literature Teaching, pp. 161-182, 16(3), 2010.
- Y. Aida, "Examination of Horwitz, Horwitz, and Cope's construct of foreign language anxiety: the cases of students of Japanese", The Modern Language Journal, pp. 155-168, 78(2), 1994. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-4781.1994.tb02026.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-4781.1994.tb02026.x
- Y. Kim, A Factor analytic Study of English Language Anxiety: The Case of Korean University EFL Learners. English Teaching, pp. 239-256, 59(4), 2004.
- D. Kim, The effects of an anxiety-triggering task on EFL learners' listening ability, English Language Teaching, pp. 181-201, 17(4), 2005.
- S. Kim, "Exploring the nature of communication anxiety in English among Korean EFL undergraduates", English Language & Literature Teaching, pp. 211-231, 13(4), 2007.
- K. M. Bailey, Competitiveness and anxiety in adult second language learning: Looking at and through the diary studies. In H. W. Selinger & M. H. Long (Eds.), Classroom oriented research in second language acquisition. pp. 67-103, Newbury House, 1983.
- J. Park, A study on the role of language anxiety in English classroom, English Teaching, pp. 91-115, 51(4), 1996.
- L. Beebe, Risk-taking and language learner. In H. W. Selinger & M. Long (Des.), Classroom oriented research in second language acquisition, pp. 39-65, Newbury House, 1993.
- Gebhard, J. G. (1982). "Some suggestions for the EFL conversation class", Forum, pp. 14-16, 20, 1982.
- S. Kim, K Park, An Investigation into the association between learner anxiety and strategy use and English listening and reading, Foreign Language Education, pp. 93-120, 13(2), 2006.
- T. Han, "Perceptions of the College Students on College English in Terms of the Instructors' Teaching Method,", Studies on English Language & Literature, pp. 225-254, 35(2), 2009.
- Gary D. Borich, Observation Skills for Effective Teaching, Pearson Merrill Prentice Hall, 2007.
- M. A. Jung, "The relationship between university students' communication apprehension in English and affective factors in learning English", The Journal of Studies in Language, pp. 965-1000, 2011.
- Form-Focused Instruction, Learners' Perceptions, and Second Language Acquisition vol.16, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.10.6475
Supported by : 용인대학교