- Volume 15 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Impacts of Resource Attributes on Resource Sharing: An Approach from Resource-based View
경영자원의 속성이 자원공유에 미치는 영향: 자원기반관점을 중심으로
- Hwang, Jaewon (Dept. of Business Administration, Korea National University of Transportation) ;
- Park, Kyoungmi (Dept. of Cooperative Management, Agricultural Cooperative College)
- Received : 2014.06.12
- Accepted : 2014.10.10
- Published : 2014.10.31
The research on resource sharing in the diversification field is concerned mainly with sharing, but there has been little interest in resources. This research examined resource sharing with the main variables and logics of resource-based view. Based on a survey of 263 affiliates of 35 diversified firms, the impacts of resource quantity, resource quality, and resource exploitability on inter-affiliate resource sharing were hypothesized and verified. To confirm the performance implications of resource sharing, the impacts of the combination of resource quantity and resource sharing, the combination of resource quality and resource sharing, and the combination of resource exploitability and resource sharing on the affiliate performance were also hypothesized and verified. According to the empirical results from multiple regression analyses, resource sharing increases in the order of low resource quantity, high resource quality, and high resource exploitability. The performance was advanced in resource sharing under a low resource quantity and resource sharing under high resource exploitability, but it was not advanced in resource sharing under high resource quality. The results highlight the need for a further study on why the resource quality and resource exploitability affect resource sharing in the opposite directions, as expected in the hypotheses, why resource sharing under high resource quality does not lead to high performance, even though resource quality increases resource sharing, and what they would be if resources are subdivided by the types.
resource sharing;diversification;synergy;resource-based view
Supported by : 한국교통대학교
- S. Chatterjee & B. Wernerfelt, "The link between resource type and diversification: Theory and evidence," Strategic Management Journal, 12(1), pp.33-48, 1991. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250120104 https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250120104
- R. P. Rumelt, Strategy, Structure, and Economic Performance, Boston, MA: Harvard University Press, 1974.
- E. T. Penrose, The Theory of the Growth of the Firm, New York, NY: Wiley, 1959.
- B. Wernerfelt, "A resource-based view of the firm," Strategic Management Journal, 5(2), pp.171-180, 1984. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250050207 https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250050207
- J. B. Barney, "Firm resources and sustained competitive advantage," Journal of Management, 7(1), pp.99-120, 1991. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/014920639101700108 https://doi.org/10.1177/014920639101700108
- C. K. Prahalad & G. Hamel, "The core competence of the corporation," Harvard Business Review, May-Jun, pp.79-93, 1990.
- K. M. Park & K. H. Kwon, "Collaboration Under Duplicated Diversification: The Strategic Contexts of a Business Unit and Their Differentiated Impacts on Between- and Within-Businesses Resource Sharing," Korean Management Review, 38(2), pp. 483-521, 2009.
- R. Daft, Organization Theory and Design, New York, NY: West, 1983.
- C. E. Helfat & M. A. Peteraf, "The dynamic resource-based view: Capability lifecycles," Strategic Management Journal, 24(10), pp.997-1010, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/smj.332 https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.332
- R. M. Grant, "The resource-based theory of competitive advantage: Implications for strategy formulation," California Management Review, 33(3), pp.114-135, 1991. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/41166664 https://doi.org/10.2307/41166664
- J. B. Barney & W. S. Hesterly, Strategic Management and Competitive Advantage, Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall, 2006.
- G. Hamel & C. K. Prahalad, "Strategy as stretch and leverage," Harvard Business Review, Mar-Apr, pp.75-84, 1993.
- K. H. Kwon, "The effects of strategy, control systems, and resource sharing on subsidiaries' performance: Comparisons between Korean and U.S. diversified firms," Korean Management Review, 26(4), pp.753-786, 1997.
- K. H. Kwon & K. W. Jung, "Historical backgrounds and academic progress in strategic management," in D. Y. Shin, ed., Paradigm Shift in the 21st Century Management Theories, pp.520-581, 2008.
- D. Collis & C. Montgomery, "Competing on resources: Strategy in the 1990s," Harvard Business Review, 73(4), pp.118-128, 1995.
- R. Amit & P. J. H. Schoemaker, "Strategic assets and organizational rent," Strategic Management Journal, 14(1), pp.33-46, 1993. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250140105 https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250140105
- H. I. Ansoff, Corporate Strategy, New York, NY: McGraw-Hill, 1965.
- M. E. Porter, Competitive Advantage: Creating and Sustaining Superior Performance, New York, NY: Free Press, 1985.
- R. Davis & L. Thomas, "Direct estimation of synergy: A new approach to the diversity-performance debate," Management Science, 39(11), pp.1334-1346, 1993. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.39.11.1334 https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.39.11.1334
- J. Robins & M. F. Wiersema, "A resource-based approach to the multibusiness firm: Empirical analysis of portfolio interrelationships and corporate financial performance," Strategic Management Journal, 16(4), pp.277-299, 1995. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250160403 https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250160403
- A. A. Thompson & A. J. Strickland, Strategic Management, New York, NY: McGraw-Hill, 2003.
- I. Dierickx & K. Cool, "Asset stock accumulation and sustainability of competitive advantage," Management Science, 35(12), pp.1504-1511, 1989. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.35.12.1504 https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.35.12.1504
- B. J. Avolio, F. J. Yammarino, B. M. Bass, "Identifying common methods variance with data collected from a single source: An unresolved sticky issue," Journal of Management, 17(3), pp.571-587, 1991. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/014920639101700303 https://doi.org/10.1177/014920639101700303
- P. M. Podsakoff, S. B. Mackenzie, J. Y. Lee, "Common method biases in behavioral research: A critical review of the literature and recommended remedies," Journal of Applied Psychology, 88(5), pp.879-903, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.88.5.879 https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.88.5.879
- D. Miller, "Relating Porter's business strategies to environment and structure: Analysis and performance implications," Academy of Management Journal, 31(2), pp.280-308, 1988. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/256549 https://doi.org/10.2307/256549
- D. Miller & P. H. Friesen, "Innovation in conservative and entrepreneurial firms," Strategic Management Journal, 3(1), pp.3-27, 1982. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250030102 https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250030102
- A. K. Gupta & V. Govindarajan, "Resource sharing among SBUs: Strategic antecedents and administrative implications," Academy of Management Journal, 29(4), pp.695-714, 1986 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/255940 https://doi.org/10.2307/255940
- A. P. Jacquemin & C. H. Berry, "Entropy measure of diversification and corporate growth," Journal of Industrial Economics, 27(4), pp.359-369, 1979. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/2097958 https://doi.org/10.2307/2097958
- D. Miller & C. Droge, "Psychological and traditional determinants of structure," Administrative Science Quarterly, 31(4), pp.539-560, 1986. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/2392963 https://doi.org/10.2307/2392963