- Volume 15 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Effect of Dubbing on the Ticket Power of Animation Movies
더빙의 여부가 애니메이션 영화 흥행에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2014.07.04
- Accepted : 2014.10.10
- Published : 2014.10.31
This study examined the effects of dubbing on the ticket sales of foreign animation movies put on the screen in Korea in the context of 'Skopos Theory'. The ticket power of animation increased when dubbing was chosen as the translation strategy. Moreover, the effects were greater when the animation was in the peak seasons, classified as non-restricted, and made in non-US countries. The ticket power was also found to be greater when celebrities joined in the dubbing. This finding was consistent with the 'Skopos Theory', which implied that dubbing is superior to captioning for audience understanding and audience attraction. This study confirmed empirically the positive effects of dubbing on the performance of foreign animation movies, which is the contribution to the literature that has been limited on case studies. These results also suggest that a dubbing strategy should be consistent with its target audience.
Animation Movies;Dubbing;Skopos Theory;Ticket Power
- S. Y. Park, "Exploring the Determinants of Animation Films Success", Korean Journal of Animation, 6(4), pp. 23-37, 2010.
- Korean Film Council(www.kofic.or.kr)
- J. W. Kwon, B. G. Hong, "The Determinants of Animation Movies' Box Office Performance: Evidence from Movies Released in 2004-2011 in Korea", Journal of Korea Culture Industry, 12(1), pp. 93-106, 2012.
Y. N. Kim, H. J. Mok, "The Study of the Direction of Development of the Korean Feature Length Animation for Movie Theater: in the Case of
", Korean Society of Cartoon & Animation Studies, 26, pp. 109-129, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7230/KOSCAS.2012.26.109 https://doi.org/10.7230/KOSCAS.2012.26.109
- S. Y. Park, "The Analysis of the Main Factor of the Box-office Hit in Leafie, A Hen into the wild", Korean Journal of Animation, 7(4), pp. 106-119, 2011.
- W. K. Jung. "Predicting Box Office Performance for Animation Movies : Evidence from Movies Released in Korea, 2003-2008", Korean Society of Cartoon & Animation Studies, 16, pp. 21-32, 2009.
- W. J. Joung, "The Study of Market Differentiation in Korea Animation Market Depending on Production Countries, Production Types and Genres", Korean Journal of Animation, 6(2), pp. 82-104, 2010.
- Y. H. So, "Animation Spectators' View Motive and Selection for Each of Group", Korea Contents Association, 8(12), pp. 109-117, 2008. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2008.8.12.109
- J. S. Shin, "The Application of Skopos Theory to Translating Children's Literature", Korean Association of Translation Studies, 6(2), pp. 125-140, 2005.
- B, Paulina, "Translation of Cultural Item in Dubbed Animated Comedies", Translation Journal, 16(4), 2012.
- G. H. Lee, "Translation Criticism Based on the Skopos Theory: Case Study of Hoodwinked", Korean Association of Translation Studies, 10(2), pp. 62-81, 2009.
- J. H. Kang, "Translation Animation Films: Subtitling as Rewriting", Korean Association of Translation Studies, 7(2), pp. 7-29, 2006.
- A, Szarkowska, "The Power of Film Translation". Translation Journal, Arts and Entertainment, 9(2), 2005.
- D. H. Lee, "A Study Effective Film Translations by the Matrix of Equivalence", Korean Association of Translation Studies, 8(1), pp. 221-243, 2007.
- H. S. Yoo, "The Determinants of Motion Pictures Box Office Performances", Korean Journal of Journalism & Communication Studies, 46(3), pp. 183-213, 2002.
- W. S. Chang, B. Y. Han, "Factorial Analysis on Commercial Success of the American theatrical CG Animation Movies; Focused on Characters, Situations, and Images", Korean Society of Cartoon & Animation Studies, 30, pp. 59-86, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7230/KOSCAS.2013.30.059 https://doi.org/10.7230/KOSCAS.2013.30.059
Y. C. Kim, H. J. Oh, "Studying 'Idol Stardom' and 'Idol Genre' A Case Study of KBS Drama
", Korean Association for Broadcasting & Telecommunication Studies, 25(6), pp. 125-161, 2011.
- M. W. Jung, N. Y. Lee, "Fandom Managing Star, Entertainment Industry Managing Fandom", Media, Gender & Culture, 12, pp. 191-240, 2009.
- Y. A. Kim, J. M. Ham, "The Flow of Korea Animation Trend, 2010", Korean Society of Cartoon & Animation Studies, 21, pp. 93-101, 2010.
- Y. J. Lee, H. D. Shin, "The Effect of the Existence and Type of Original on Box-office Performance", Korea Contents Association, 13(6), pp. 108-115, 2013.
- A, Ravid, "Information, Blockbuster, and Star: A Study of Film Industry", Journal of Business, 72(4), pp. 463-492, 1999. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1086/209624 https://doi.org/10.1086/209624
Supported by : 홍익대학교