- Volume 15 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Optimal Design for Torsional Stiffness of the Tubular Space Frame of a Low-Cost Single Seat Race Car
저가 입문용 1인승 레이스카 Tubular Space Frame의 비틀림 강성 최적설계
- Jang, Woongeun (Division of Mechanical Engineering Technology, Yeungnam University College)
- 장운근 (영남이공대학교 기계계열)
- Received : 2014.09.01
- Accepted : 2014.10.10
- Published : 2014.10.31
Generally, the frame design of a vehicle is a critical technology that plays an important role in the racing and high performance sports car market. The high performance of race car frame means that it requires high torsional stiffness because it directly affects the cornering behavior of the race car. The optimal design for the frame of a low-cost single seat race car was carried out using the DOE (Design Of Experiments) with Taguchi's orthogonal array and FEM (Finite Element Method) analysis to secure sufficient torsional stiffness in this paper. According to the results by DOE and FEM analysis, the optimal design case produced improved 10.7% and 14.5% improvement in each stiffness-to-weight ratio and frame weight than in the early design step. Therefore, this paper shows that the optimal design with Taguchi's orthogonal array is very useful and effective for designing a tubular space frame of a low-cost single seat race car in the early design step.
DOE(Design Of Experiments);Optimal design;Race car;Tubular space frame
- Forbes Aird, Race car Chassis Design and Construction. p.47-50, Motorbooks international, 1997.
- Simin Mcbeath, Competition Car preparation a Practical Handbook. p.41-58, Hynes Publishing, 1999.
- Lonny L. Thompson, Srikanth Raju and E. Harry Law, "Design of a Winston Cup Chassis for Torsional Stiffness", Motorsports Engineering Conference Proc., Vol.1:Vehicle Design and Safety Issues, pp.125-140, 1998.
- Andrew Deakin, David Crolla, Juan Pablo and Ray Hanley, "The Effect of Chassis Stiffness on Race Car Handling Balance", Racing Chassis and Suspension Design, PT-90, pp.107-113, SAE International 2000.
- Jun-Yeol Oh and Yong-Jeong Huh, "A Study on Optimization of Injection-molded System Using CAE and Design of Experiment", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 7, No. 3 pp. 271-277, 2006.
- Sangbok Ree, Taguchi Method Using Minitab. p.37, Eretec, 2006.
- Wookang Cho, Jaesung Lee, Mungho Sin, Dongjea Lee, "Optimal Design for Variable Roll Rate Torsion Beam Using Design of Experiment", Proc. of KSME Annual Spring conference, Vol. II, pp.1169-1174, April, 2006.
- Woon Geun Jang, "Optimal Design of the Front Upright of Formula Race Car Using Taguchi's Orthogonal Array, Journal of the Korean Society of Manufacturing Technology Engineers Vol.22, No.1, pp.112-118, February, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7735/ksmte.2013.22.1.112 https://doi.org/10.7735/ksmte.2013.22.1.112
- General Competition Rules 9.1.1., Formula Category, 2013 Edition, p.245-356, SCCA, 2013.
- Ford Motor Company, 2012 Technical Regulations, Formula Ford 1800 Zetec Version:01, p.3, Ford Motor Company, 1st January 2012.