- Volume 3 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Robust and Efficient 3D Model of an Electromagnetic Induction (EMI) Sensor
- Antoun, Chafic Abu (IMT-LAI, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne) ;
- Perriard, Yves (IMT-LAI, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne)
- Received : 2014.04.21
- Accepted : 2014.05.12
- Published : 2014.09.01
Eddy current induction is used in a wide range of electronic devices, for example in detection sensors. Due to the advances in computer hardware and software, the need for 3D computation and system comprehension is a requirement to develop and optimize such devices nowadays. Pure theoretical models are mostly limited to special cases. On the other hand, the classical use of commercial Finite Element (FE) electromagnetic 3D models is not computationally efficient and lacks modeling flexibility or robustness. The proposed approach focuses on: (1) implementing theoretical formulations in 3D (FE) model of a detection device as well as (2) an automatic Volumetric Estimation Method (VEM) developed to selectively model the target finite elements. Due to these two approaches, this model is suitable for parametric studies and optimization of the number, location, shape, and size of PCB receivers in order to get the desired target discrimination information preserving high accuracy with tenfold reduction in computation time compared to commercial FE software.
- W. Chen, G.S. Zhang, Y.S. Sun, M.J. Chen, "Integrated Third Kind Boundary Condition for 2D eddy current problems and its application in NDT," IEEE, 1993
- A. Bernieri, G. Betta, L. Ferrigno, "Characterization of a magnetic measurement system for NDT," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, 2002
- Y. Das, J. E. Mcfee, R. H. Chesney, "Time domain response of a sphere in the field of a coil: theory and experiment," IEEE Transactions on Remote Sensing and Geoscience , 1984
- J. W. Luquire, W. E. Deeds, C. V. Dodd, "Axially symmetric eddy currents in a spherical conductor," Journal of Applied Physics, 1970
- W. Renhart, C. Magele, "Optimal design of a coil arrangement for the identification of hidden ferrous objects," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, 2002
- K. O'Neill, K. Sun, C.C. Chen, F. Shubitidze, K.D. Paulsen, "Combining GPR and EMI data for discrimination of multiple subsurface metallic objects," IEEE, 2003
- C. D. Moss, K. O'Neill, T. M. Grzegorczyk, J. A. Kong1, "A hybrid time domain method to calculate electromagnetic induction scattering from targets with arbitrary skin depths,"
- A Langman, M.R. Inggs, "A stepped frequency CW polarimetric radar for mine detection," IEEE, 1996
- D.Vasic, V. Bilas, D. Ambrus, "Pulsed eddy current nondestructive testing of ferromagnetic tubes," IEEE, 2004
- I.J. Won, D. Keiswetter, "Electromagnetic induction spectroscopy," SPIE Conference on Detection and Remediation Technologies for Mines and Minelike Targets, 1998
- W. R. Smythe. Static and Dynamic Electricity. McGraw-Hill Book Co, New York, NY. 1950.