- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Oral health knowledge level on oral care and elder oral hygiene care of the nursing home staff in long-term care facilities
노인요양시설 요양보호사의 구강관리 및 노인구강위생관리에 따른 구강보건지식 수준
Kim, Kyung-Min;Park, Young-Nam;Lee, Min-Kyung;Lee, Jung-Hwa;Yoon, Hyun-Seo;Jin, Hye-Jung;Kim, Hye-Jin
- Received : 2014.07.17
- Accepted : 2014.10.07
- Published : 2014.10.30
Objectives : This research was conducted to investigate geriatric care workers' oral care, and the oral care conditions of residents of elder care facilities in relation to workers' knowledge of oral care. Methods : A survey was conducted from November 2011 to February 2012 with geriatric-care workers in elder care facilities located in Busan and other areas of Gyeongsangnam-do. Results : With regard to their oral self-care practices, 52.5% of the geriatric workers "brushed their teeth from top to bottom" and 58.1% brushed their teeth 3 times a day. Further, 52.0% did not use any oral care products, while 36.5% used Mouthrinese. The workers who brushed their teeth in their own ways or from top to bottom had significantly higher oral care knowledge scores than those who brushed from left to right (p<.05). Concerning oral hygiene care for residents, 72.6% of the geriatric workers recommended that elders visit dentists for oral care, 96.6% helped elders oral wash their teeth every day, and 54.7% used oral care products for the elders. The workers who did not recommend visits to dental clinics scored slightly higher than those who did (p<.05). Additionally, those who did not help elders oral wash their teeth scored significantly higher than those who did (p<.05). Except for oral wash to recuperated old man and recommendation of visiting the dentist, relation between oral care and knowledge about oral health and oral hygiene care is plus mutual relation. Conclusions : To manage the accuracy and quality of oral care work performed by geriatric care workers in elder care facilities, enhancing standard training and education on oral care is necessary. Providing systematic, regular education on such knowledge and practices would also be essential.
elderly oral hygiene care;geriatric care worker;oral care knowledge
- Kim SD. Influence of dental services on satisfaction of old prosthetic patients. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2007; 7(1): 15-30.
- Moon YM. Oral health behavior fators related to cargivers of elderly care facility[Master's thesis]. Seosan: Univ. of Hanseo, 2013.
- Kim YH. Attitude and practice related to oral care of geriatric care elders[Master's thesis]. Daegu: Univ. of Kyungpook, 2011.
- Kim SK, Gwon MY. Analysis of satisfaction level regarding removable dentures for aged patients in dental hospitals or clinics. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2006; 6(2): 93-102.
- Kwon SA, Ji MG, Min HH. A study on dental professionals recognition on a system of long-term care insurance for the elderly. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2009; 9(1): 1-12.
- Jeong MH, Kwon SS. Relationship between knowledge and attitudes toward elders of certified. J Korean gerontol Nurs 2009; 11(1):51-61.
- Park MS. Educational needs in the provision of oral care by nursing staff in long-term care facility for elderly people. J Korean Gerontol Nurs 2010; 12(1): 73-80.
- Department of health and human services. Nursing home staff standard textbook particulars primary care. Seoul: Department of health and human services; 2010: 361-74.
- Kwon SW. A study on the perception of the care taker trainees perception and behavior of the oral cavity sanitation[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Kyunghee, 2011.
- Yang SB, Moon HS, Han DH, Lee HY. Oral health status and treatment need of institutionalized elderly patients. J Korean Acad Prosthodon 2008; 46(5): 455-69. http://dx.doi.org/10.4047/jkap.2008.46.5.455 https://doi.org/10.4047/jkap.2008.46.5.455
- Chung, MK, Lee CY, Chang HJ. Oral status of geriatric patients, and their demand and satisfaction in prosthodontic treatment. J Korean Acad Prosthodon 2001; 39(4): 1-12.
- Suh Guk-Hee. Vascular Dementia : Clinical feature and diagnosis. J Korean Acad Psych Mental Health Nurs 1999; 3(2): 101-13.
- Shin SM. A study on the oral health education experiences and needs of the elderly[Master's thesis]. Cheonan: Univ. of Dankook, 2010.
- Korean Statistical Information Service(KOSIS). Population Projections 2012[Internet][cited 2014 July 4]. Available from: http://kosis.kr/wnsearch/totalSearch.jsp.
- Chang SH. Effect of oral health education on oral hygiene management of certified caregivers in elderly care facilities [Doctoral Dissertation]. Iksan: Univ. of Wonkwang, 2012.
- Bae JY. The effect of oral health on the quality of life of the elderly[Doctoral Dissertation]. Daegu: Univ. of Yeungnam, 2009.
- Yang SB. Oral health status and treatment need of institutionalized elderly patients [Doctoral Dissertation]. Seoul: Univ. of Yonsei, 2006.
- Department of health and human services. Status of the elderly facilities. Seoul: Deulsaem; 2010: 38-75.
- Park IS, Kim JS, Choi MH. A study on oral health knowledge, behavior and practice among elderly people in some regions. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2010; 10(2): 1-12.
- Shin MW, Min SH, Park YN, Min HH. Complete denture satisfaction by the subjective oral health state among the elderly. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2010; 10(5):798-805.
- Yang SB, Moon HS, Han DH, Lee HY, Chung MK. Oral health status and treatment need of institutionalized elderly patients. J Korean Acad Prosthodon 2008; 146(5): 455-69.
- Jung YM, Kim SM, Lee HJ, Cho YH, Lee SG, Kim NH. Oral health care of the elderly in long-term care facilities in Korea. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2010; 10(4):727-34.
- Kwon SH, Park JR, Lee YK. A study on the elder care facility workers attitude towards senior citizens and on the perception towards long-term care insurance system for senior citizens. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2010; 10(6): 425-30.