- Volume 52 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Semi-analytical numerical approach for the structural dynamic response analysis of spar floating substructure for offshore wind turbine
- Cho, Jin-Rae (School of Mechanical Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Kim, Bo-Sung (School of Mechanical Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Choi, Eun-Ho (School of Mechanical Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Lee, Shi-Bok (School of Mechanical Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Lim, O-Kaung (School of Mechanical Engineering, Pusan National University)
- Received : 2014.04.22
- Accepted : 2014.10.09
- Published : 2014.11.10
A semi-analytical numerical approach for the effective structural dynamic response analysis of spar floating substructure for offshore wind turbine subject to wave-induced excitation is introduced in this paper. The wave-induced rigid body motions at the center of mass are analytically solved using the dynamic equations of rigid ship motion. After that, the flexible structural dynamic responses of spar floating substructure for offshore wind turbine are numerically analyzed by letting the analytically derived rigid body motions be the external dynamic loading. Restricted to one-dimensional sinusoidal wave excitation at sea state 3, pitch and heave motions are considered. Through the numerical experiments, the time responses of heave and pitch motions are solved and the wave-induced dynamic displacement and effective stress of flexible floating substructure are investigated. The hydrodynamic interaction between wave and structure is modeled by means of added mass and wave damping, and its modeling accuracy is verified from the comparison of natural frequencies obtained by experiment with a 1/100 scale model.
Supported by : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP)
- Biran, A.B. (2003), Ship Hydrostatics and Stability, Butterworth-Heinemann, Singapore.
- Cho, J.R., Han, K.C., Hwang, S.W., Cho, C.S. and Lim, O.K. (2012), "Mobile harbor: structural dynamic response of RORI crane to wave-induced rolling excitation", Struct. Eng. Mech., 43(5), 679-690. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2012.43.5.679
- Cho, J.R., Song, J.M. and Lee, J.K. (2001), "Finite element techniques for the free-vibration and seismic analysis of liquid-storage tanks", Finite Elem. Anal. Des., 37, 467-483. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-874X(00)00048-2
- Colwell, S. and Basu, B. (2009), "Tuned liquid column dampers in offshore wind turbines for structural control", Eng. Struct., 31, 358-368. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2008.09.001
- Faltinsen, O.M. (1990), Sea Load on Ships and Offshore Structures, University of Cambridge.
- Goopee, A..J., Koo, B..J., Lambrakos, K.F. and Kimball, R.W. (2012), "Model tests for three floating wind turbine concepts", Proceedings of Offshore Technology Conference, Houston, USA.
- Hansen, A.D. and Hansen, L.H. (2007), "Wind turbine concept market penetration over 10 years (1995-2004)", Wind Energy, 10, 81-97. https://doi.org/10.1002/we.210
- Jensen, J., Olsen, A. and Mansour, A. (2011), "Extreme wave and wind response predictions", Ocean Eng., 38, 2244-2253. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2011.10.003
- Jeon, S.H., Cho, Y.U., Seo, M.W., Cho, J.R. and Jeong, W.B. (2013), "Dynamic response of floating substructure of spar-type wind turbine with catenary mooring cables", Ocean Eng., 72, 356-364. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2013.07.017
- Jonkman, J. (2009), "Definition of the floating system for phase IV of OC3", Technical Report NREL/TP-500-47535.
- Jonkman, J. (2009), "Dynamics of offshore floating wind turbines-model development and verification", Wind Energy, 12, 459-492. https://doi.org/10.1002/we.347
- Jonkman, J. and Musial, W. (2010), "Offshore code comparison collaboration (OC3) for IEA task 23 offshore wind technology and development", Technical Report NREL/TP-5000-48191, Colorado.
- Karimirad, M., Meissonnier, Q., Gao, Z. and Moan, T. (2011), "Hydroelastic code-to-code comparison for a tension leg spar-type floating wind turbine", Marine Struct., 24, 412-435. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marstruc.2011.05.006
- Koo, B.J., Kim, M.H. and Randall, R.E. (2004), "Mathieu instability of a spar platform with mooring and risers", Ocean Eng., 31, 2175-2208. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2004.04.005
- Lee, S.G. (2003), Ship Motion and Maneuverability, Pusan National University Press, Busan. (in Korean)
- Lee, S.H. (2008), "Dynamic response analysis of spar buoy floating wind turbine systems", Ph.D. Thesis, MIT.
- Lee, H.H., Wong, S.H. and Lee, R.S. (2006), "Response mitigation on the offshore floating platform system with tuned liquid column damper", Ocean Eng., 33, 1118-1142. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2005.06.008
- Li, Y. and Kareem, A. (1990), "Stochastic response of tension leg platforms to wind and wave fields", J. Wind Eng. Indus. Aerodyn., 36(2), 915-926. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(90)90088-T
- Midas IT. (2011), User's Manual of Midas NFX, Gyeonggi, Korea.
- Pierson, W.J. and Moskowicz, L. (1964), "A proposed spectral form for fully developed wind seas based on the similarity theory of S.A. Kitaigorodskii", J. Geophys. Res., 69(24), 5181-5203. https://doi.org/10.1029/JZ069i024p05181
- Tong, K.C. (1998), "Technical and economic aspects of a floating offshore wind farm", J. Wind Eng. Indus. Aerodyn., 74-76, 399-410. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(98)00036-1
- Tracy, C. (2007), "Parametric design of floating wind turbines", Maters Thesis, MIT.
- Utsunomiya, T., Matsukuma, H. and Minoura, S. (2010), "On sea experiment of a hybrid SPAR for floating offshore wind turbine using 1/10 scale model", Proceedings of ASME 2010 29th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Artic Engineering, Shanghai, China.
- Wang, L. and Sweetman, B. (2012), "Simulation of large-amplitude motion of floating wind turbines using conservation of momentum", Ocean Eng., 42, 155-164. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2011.12.004