- Volume 23 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Emission Characteristics of Odors and Odorants Released from Grilling Mackerel and Pork Belly by Different Cooking Tools
- Kim, Hyun-Jeong (Department of Chemistry, University of Ulsan) ;
- Yu, Mee-Seon (Department of Chemistry, University of Ulsan) ;
- Yang, Sung-Bong (Department of Chemistry, University of Ulsan)
- Received : 2014.09.10
- Accepted : 2014.10.22
- Published : 2014.10.31
It is known that mackerel and pork belly release a strong odor in the process of roasting. We evaluated a dilution factor of odor arising during roasting mackerel or pork belly and the relative odor strength using several cooking tools and analyzed compounds causing odors with gas chromatograph/mass detector. Roasting pans used were grill with lid, electric grill without lid and general roasting pan, and a grill with lid can attach the activated carbon charcoal deodorant at the inside of lid. And all electric grills have a drip tray under the heater. We investigated characteristics of odor emission depending on the presence of water and deodorants in these cooking tools. Study has shown that roasting mackerel produces approximately 36 time more odors than roasting pork belly, and the reduced odor emission when roast with water. And it shows the reduced deodorant effect when cooked with water after attaching activated carbon charcoal in the cooking pan. Major odor causing compounds arising when cooking mackerel and pork belly were aldehydes with high boiling point such as octyl aldehyde with a low odor threshold value.
- Choi, J., Han, S. Y., Han, J., Jo, H. J., Kim, K. H., 2011, A preliminary study of hazardous pollutants released from the smoke of fish frying, Korean J. Odor Research and Engineering, 10(1), 1-7 (Korean).
- Hyttinen, M., Pasanen, P., Bjorkroth, M., Kalliokoski, 2007, Odors and volatile organic compounds released from ventilation filters, Atmospheric Environment, 41, 4029-4039. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2007.01.029
- Iwasaki, Y., 2009, Report of questionnaire survey for everyday concerned odors, J. Japan Association on odor Environment, 40(6), 425-437 (Japanese).
- Jo, W.J., Sohn, J.Y., 2009, The Effect of environmental and structural factors on indoor air quality of apartments in Korea, Building and Environment, 44, 1794-1802. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2008.12.003
- Kabir, E., Kim, K.H., 2011, An investigation on hazardous and odorous pollutant emission during cooking activities, J. Hazardous Materials, 188, 443-454. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2011.01.113
- Kim, B.W., Kim, K.H., Kim, Y.H., Ahn, J.H., 2014, A study of odorants and volatiles released from belly meat when treated by different cooking methods, J. Korean Society for Atmospheric Environment, 30(3), 211-222. https://doi.org/10.5572/KOSAE.2014.30.3.211
- Ko, B.C., Park, Y.H., Kim, D.I., Lee, M.G., Kam, S.K., 2013, Odor removal charateristics of biofilters in domestic sewage treatment facilities analyzing composite odor and odor quotient, J. Environmental Sciences, 22(1), 109-117. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2013.22.1.109
- Matsui, S., 1996, Odor sources and odor assessment of kitchen, Housing Technological Information, 71, 107-122 (Korean).
- Ministry of the Environment Government of Japan, Olfactory measurement method in Japan, http://www.env.go.jp/en/air/odor/olfactory_mm/index.html
- Nagai, Y., Igarashi, Y., 2004, A questionnaire survey on assessemnt of thermal and odor environment and analyzing it on the types of kitchen or the ability oh house, J. Home Economics of Japan, 55(2), 187-196 (Japanese).
- Nagata, Y., 2003, Measurement of odor threshold by triangle odor bag method, Odor Measurement Review, MOE, Japan, 33, 2093-2106.
- Peng, C.Y., Lan, C.H., Wu, T.J., 2009, Investigation of indoor chemical pollutants and perceived odor in an area with complaints of unpleasant odors, Building and Environment, 44, 2106-2113. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2009.03.001
- Seoul government, 2013, Standard of architectural design of Seoul Green Architecture (Korean).
- Sohn, J.Y., Park, B.Y., Yee, J.J., Moon, H.J., 1995, Characteristics of the Indoor Air Quality in Comparison with the outside air intake in office buildings, J. Architectural Institute of Korea, 11(10), 167-173 (Korean).
- Tanamura, T., Mitsuda, M., Mori, S., Kobayashi, K., 2011, The influence of the kitchen and other factors on odor concentration in living-dining rooms, J. Home Economics of Japan, 62(5), 289-297 (Japanese).
- Wang, Y., Kays, S. J., 2000, Effect of cooking method on the aroma constituents of sweet potatoes, J. Food Quality, 24, 67-78.
- Yu, M.S., Yang, S.B., Ahn, J.S., 2002, Analysis of volatile organic compounds by GC/MS with the thermal desorber and characterization of the major components attributing to malodor, Analytical Science & Technology, 15(1), 80-86 (Korean).
- Zhang, J., Kato, S., Sung, M., Chino, S., Kim, J., 2010, CFD analysis of indoor odor from food using the result of olfactory experiment - Research on the measures of indoor odor from food in high-rise apartment, J. Environ. Eng. AIJ, 75(650), 347-353. https://doi.org/10.3130/aije.75.347