- Volume 47 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Chronological Changes of Soil Organic Carbon from 2003 to 2010 in Korea
- Kim, Yoo Hak (Division of Soil and Fertilizer, NAAS, RDA) ;
- Kang, Seong Soo (Division of Soil and Fertilizer, NAAS, RDA) ;
- Kong, Myung Suk (Division of Soil and Fertilizer, NAAS, RDA) ;
- Kim, Myung Sook (Division of Soil and Fertilizer, NAAS, RDA) ;
- Sonn, Yeon Kyu (Division of Soil and Fertilizer, NAAS, RDA) ;
- Chae, Mi Jin (Division of Soil and Fertilizer, NAAS, RDA) ;
- Lee, Chang Hoon (Division of Soil and Fertilizer, NAAS, RDA)
- Received : 2014.05.20
- Accepted : 2014.06.12
- Published : 2014.06.30
Chronological changes of soil organic carbon (SOC) must be prepared by IPCC guidelines for national greenhouse gas inventories. IPCC suggested default reference SOC stocks for mineral soils and relative stock factors for different management activities where country own factors were not prepared. 3.4 million data were downloaded from agricultural soil information system and analyzed to get chronological changes of SOC for some counties and for land use in Korea. SOC content of orchard soil was higher than the other soils but chronological SOC changes of all land use had no tendency in differences with high standard deviation. SOC contents of counties depended on their own management activities and chronological SOC changes of districts also had no tendency in differences. Thus, Korea should survey the official records and relative stock factors on management activities such as land use, tillage and input of organic matter to calculate SOC stocks correctly. Otherwise, Korea should establish a model for predicting SOC by analyzing selected representative fields and by calculating SOC differences from comparing management activities of lands with those of representative fields.
Supported by : National Academy of Agricultural Science
- Bruce, J.P., M. Frome, E. Haites, H. Janzen, R. Lal, and K. Paustian. 1999. Carbon sequestration in soils. J. Soil and Water Conservation 54:382-389.
- Conant, R.T., K. Paustian, and E.T. Elliott. 2001. Grassland management and conversion into grassland: Effects on soil carbon. Ecological Application 11:343-355. https://doi.org/10.1890/1051-0761(2001)011[0343:GMACIG]2.0.CO;2
- IPCC. 2006. 2006 IPCC guidelines for national greenhouse gas inventories -volume 4. Agriculture, forestry and other land use. pp. 2.28-2.40.
- Kim, Y. H., S. S. Kang, M. S. Kim, M. S. Kong, S. K. Choi, and T. K. Oh. 2013. Soil Organic Carbon of Soil Series from 2003 to 2010 in Korea. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 46(6):623-640. https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2013.46.6.623
- Lal, R. 2001. Soils and the greenhouse effect. p. 1-8. In R. Lal et al. (ed.) Soil carbon sequestration and the greenhouse effect. SSSA Special Publication Number 57. Soil Sci. Soc. Amer., Inc., Madison, WI, USA.
- Leifeld, J., S. Bassin, and J. Fuhrer. 2005. Carbon stocks in Swiss agricultural soils predicted by land-use, soil characteristics, and altitude. Agriculture Ecosystems & Environment 105:255-266. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2004.03.006
- Mann, L.K. 1896. Changes in soil carbon storage after cultivation. Soil Science 142:279-288.
- Mujuru, L., A. Mureva, E.J. Velthorst, and M.R. Hoosbeek. 2013. Land use and management effects on soil organic matter fractions in Rhodic Ferralsols and Haplic Arenosols in Bindura and Shamva districts of Zimbabwe. Geoderma 209:262-272.
- NAAS. 2010. Methods of soil chemical analysis. National Academy of Agricultural Science, RDA, Korea.
- NAAS. 2011. Soil classification and interpretation of Korean soil. National Academy of Agricultural Science, RDA, Korea.
- Ogle, S.M., F.J. Breidt, and K. Paustian, 2005. Agricultural management impacts on soil organic carbon storage under moist and dry climatic conditions of temperate and tropical regions. Biogeochemistry 72:87-121. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10533-004-0360-2
Paustian, K., O. Andren, H.H. Janzen, R. Lal, P. Smith, G. Tian, H. Tiessen, M. van Noordwijk, and P.L. Woomer. 1997. Agricultural soils as a sink to mitigate
$CO_2$emissions. Soil Use and Management 13:230-244. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-2743.1997.tb00594.x