- Volume 14 Issue 4
The indirect displacement estimation using acceleration and strain (IDEAS) method is extended to various types of beam structures beyond the previous validation on the prismatic or near-prismatic beams. By fusing different types of responses, the IDEAS method is able to estimate displacements containing pseudo-static components with high frequency noise to be significantly reduced. However, the concerns to the IDEAS method come from possible disagreement of the assumed sinusoidal mode shapes to the actual mode shapes, which allows the IDEAS method to be valid only for simply-supported prismatic beams and limits its applicability to real world problems. In this paper, the extension of the IDEAS method to the general types of beams is investigated by the mathematical formulation of the modal mapping matrix only for the monitored substructure, so-called monitoring span. The formulation particularly considers continuous and wide beams to extend the IDEAS method to general beam structures that reflect many real bridges. Numerical simulations using four types of beams with various irregularities are presented to show the effectiveness and accuracy of the IDEAS method in estimating displacements.
displacement;acceleration;strain;data fusion;beam structure
- Foss, G. and Haugse, E. (1995), "Using modal test results to develop strain to displacement transformations", Proceedings of the 13th Int. Modal Analysis Conf.
- Altunisik, A.C., Bayraktar, A. and Ozdemir, H. (2012), "Seismic safety assessment of eynel highway steel bridge using ambient vibration measurements", Smart Struct. Syst., 10(2), 131-154. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2012.10.2.131
- Atkinson, K.E. (2008), An introduction to numerical analysis, John Wiley & Sons.
- Bani-Hani, K.A., Zibdeh, H.S. and Hamdaoui, K. (2008), "Health monitoring of a historical monument in Jordan based on ambient vibration test", Smart Struct. Syst., 4(2), 195-208. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2008.4.2.195
- Doebling, S.W., Farrar, C.R. and Prime, M.B. (1998), "A summary review of vibration-based damage identification methods", Shock Vib. Digest, 30, 91-105. https://doi.org/10.1177/058310249803000201
- Gindy, M., Nassif, H.H. and Velde, J. (2008), "Bridge displacement estimates from measured acceleration records", Transport. Res. Rec., 2028, 136-145.
- Jung, B.S., Kim, N.S. and Koon, S.K. (2006), "Estimation of displacement responses using the wavelet decomposition signal", J. Korea Concrete Inst., 18(3), 347-354. https://doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2006.18.3.347
- Lee, H.S., Hong, Y.H. and Park, H.W. (2010), "Design of an FIR filter for the displacement reconstruction using measured acceleration in low-frequency dominant structures", Int. J. Numer. Meth. Eng., 82(4), 403-434.
- Kandula, V., DeBrunner, L., DeBrunner, V. and Rambo-Roddenberry, M. (2012), "Field testing of indirect displacement estimation using accelerometers", Proceedings of the Conf. Record of the 46th Asilomar Conf. Signals, Systems, and Computers.
- Kang, L.H., Kim, D.K. and Han, J.H. (2007), "Estimation of dynamic structural displacements using fiber Bragg grating strain sensors", J. Sound Vib., 305(3), 534-542. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2007.04.037
- Koo, K.Y., Sung, S.H., Park, J.W. and Jung, H.J. (2010), "Damage detection of shear buildings using deflections obtained by modal flexibility", Smart Mat. Struct., 19(11), 115026. https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/19/11/115026
- Kim, J.T., Ho, D.D., Nguyen, K.D., Hong, D.S., Shin, S.W., Yun, C.B. and Shinozuka, M. (2013), "System identification of a cable-stayed bridge using vibration responses measured by a wireless sensor network", Smart Struct. Syst., 11(5), 533-553. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2013.11.5.533
- Lee, J.J. and Shinozuka, M. (2006), "A vision-based system for remote sensing of bridge displacement", NDT & E Int., 39(5), 425-431. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ndteint.2005.12.003
- Ma, T.W., Bell, M., Lu, W. and Xu, N.S. (2014), "Recovering structural displacements and velocities from acceleration", Smart Struct. Syst., 14(2), 191-207. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2014.14.2.191
- Nassif, H.H., Gindy, M. and Davis, J.(2005), "Comparison of laser Doppler vibrometer with contact sensors for monitoring bridge deflection and vibration", NDT & E Int., 38(3), 213-218. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ndteint.2004.06.012
- Park, J.W., Sim, S.H. and Jung, H.J. (2013), "Displacement estimation using multimetric data fusion", IEEE/ASME Trans. Mechatronics, 18(6), DOI: 10.1109/TMECH.2013.2275187. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMECH.2013.2275187
- Park, K.T., Kim, S.H., Park, H.S. and Lee, K.W. (2005), "The determination of bridge displacement using measured acceleration", Eng. Struct., 27(3), 371-378. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2004.10.013
- Ribeiro, J.G.T., Freire, J.L.F. and Castro, J.T.P. (1997), "Problems in analogue double integration to determine displacements from acceleration data", Proceedings of the 15th Int. Modal Anal. Conf.
- Zhou, C., Li, H.N., Li, D.S., Lin, Y.X. and Yi, T.H. (2013), "Online damage detection using pair cointegration method of time-varying displacement", Smart Struct. Syst., 12(3-4), 309-325. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2013.12.3_4.309
- Shin, S., Lee, S.U. and Kim, N.S. (2012), "Estimation of bridge displacement responses using FBG sensors and theoretical mode shapes," Struct. Eng. Mech., 42(2), 229-245. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2012.42.2.229
- Ye, X.W., Ni, Y.Q., Wai, T.T., Wong, K.Y., Zhang, X.M. and Xu, F. (2013)."A vision-based system for dynamic displacement measurement of long-span bridges: algorithm and verification", Smart Struct. Syst., 12(3-4), 363-379. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2013.12.3_4.363
- Yi, J.H., Cho, S., Koo, K.Y., Yun, C.B., Kim, J.T., Lee, C.G. and Lee, W.T. (2007), "Structural performance evaluation of a steel-plate girder bridge using ambient acceleration measurements", Smart Struct. Syst., 3(3), 281-298. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2007.3.3.281
- Computer Vision-Based Structural Displacement Measurement Robust to Light-Induced Image Degradation for In-Service Bridges vol.17, pp.10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2014.14.4.699
- SOUNDNESS EVALUATION OF BRIDGE BEARING BASED ON TWO PLACES DISPLACEMENT MEASUREMENT USING MEMS ACCELEROMETERS vol.73, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2014.14.4.699
- Determination Method of Bridge Rotation Angle Response Using MEMS IMU vol.16, pp.12, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2014.14.4.699
- Estimation of flexibility matrix of beam structures using multisensor fusion vol.1, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2014.14.4.699
- Displacement estimation of bridge structures using data fusion of acceleration and strain measurement incorporating finite element model vol.15, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2014.14.4.699
- Technique for Determining Bridge Displacement Response Using MEMS Accelerometers vol.16, pp.12, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2014.14.4.699
- Traffic Safety Evaluation for Railway Bridges Using Expanded Multisensor Data Fusion vol.31, pp.10, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2014.14.4.699
- Multi-point displacement monitoring of bridges using a vision-based approach vol.20, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2014.14.4.699
- Structural damage identification via response reconstruction under unknown excitation vol.24, pp.8, 2017, https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2014.14.4.699
- Real-time monitoring system for local storage and data transmission by remote control vol.112, 2017, https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2014.14.4.699
- Reconstruction of Unmeasured Strain Responses in Bottom-fixed Offshore Structures by Multimetric Sensor Data Fusion vol.188, 2017, https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2014.14.4.699
- Visualization system for bridge deformations under live load based on multipoint simultaneous measurements of displacement and rotational response using MEMS sensors vol.146, 2017, https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2014.14.4.699
- Experimental validation of Kalman filter-based strain estimation in structures subjected to non-zero mean input vol.15, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2014.14.4.699
- Issues in structural health monitoring for fixed-type offshore structures under harsh tidal environments vol.15, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2014.14.4.699
- Reference-Free Displacement Estimation of Bridges Using Kalman Filter-Based Multimetric Data Fusion vol.2016, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2014.14.4.699
- Validation of a Data-fusion Based Solution in view of the Real-Time Monitoring of Cable-Stayed Bridges vol.199, 2017, https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2014.14.4.699