- Volume 2 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Pilates Mat Exercise and Instability Support Surface Exercise on Balance for the Elderly Person Aged 65 or More
필라테스 매트 운동과 불안정 지지면 운동이 65세 이상 노인의 균형에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2014.09.17
- Accepted : 2014.09.29
- Published : 2014.09.30
Purpose : The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of pilates mat exercise (PME) and instability support surface exercise (ISSE) for TUG (Time up & go) and static balance in the elderly person aged 65 or more. Method : 30 subjects in Y-equestrian were randomly divided two group, pilates mat exercise (PME) group and instability support surface exercise (ISSE) group. Each group carried out 40 minutes exercise two times a week for 12 weeks. TUG (Time up & go) and Biorescue were measured for static balance. Result : The results were as follows, the TUG between pilates mat exercise (PME) group and instability support surface exercise (ISSE) group in post-test, were significantly different in measures (p<.05). And there were significant in two group after exercise (p<.05). The static balance between pilates mat exercise (PME) group and instability support surface exercise (ISSE) group in post-test, were significantly different in measures (p<.05). And there were significant in two group after exercise (p<.05). Conclusion : These finding revealed that pilates mat exercise was effective on TUG and static balance in the elderly person aged 65 or more so that these exercise can be new alterative exercise for obesity management in the elderly person.
pilates mat exercise;instability support surface exercise;TUG;static balance;elderly person aged 65 or more
- Akuthota V, Nadler SF(2004). Core strengthening. Arch Phys Med Rehabil, 85(sup1), 86-92.
- 류명인, 소희영(2008). 타이치 운동프로그램이 시설노인의 체력, 낙상관련 지각 및 건강상태에 미치는 효과. 대한간호학회지, 38(4), 620-628. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.4.620
- 허병훈, 이석민, 진창원 등(2008). 불안정한 지지면에서의 균형운동이 시각장애인의 균형능력에 미치는 효과. 한국시각장애연구지, 24(1), 67-88.
- Akram SB, Frank JS, Patla AE et al(2008). Balance control during continuous rotational perturbations of the support surface. Gait & Posture, 27(3), 393-398. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2007.05.006
- Carr JH, Shepherd RB(2003). Stroke rehabilitation. London, Butterworth-Heinem Ann.
- Cathleen M(2007). Morning pilates workouts. Champaign, Human Kinetics.
- Cressey EM, West CA, Tiberio DP et al(2007). The effects of ten weeks of lower-body unstable surface training on markers of athletic performance. J Strength Cond Res, 21(2), 561-567.
- Crichley DJ, Pierson Z, Battersby G(2011). Effect of pilates mat exercises and conventional exercise programmes on transversus abdominis and obliquus internus abdominis activity: pilot randomised trial. Man Ther, 16(2), 183-189. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2010.10.007
- Fransson PA, Johansson R, Hafstrom A et al(2000). Methods for evaluation of postural control adaptation. Gait & Posture, 12(1), 14-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0966-6362(00)00052-7
- Hodges PW, Richardson CA(1997). Contraction of the abdomianl muscles associated with movement of the lower limb. Phys Ther, 77(2), 132-142. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/77.2.132
- Horak FB(2006). Postural orientation and equilibrium: what do we need to know about control of balance to prevent falls? Age and ageing, 35(sup2), 7-11. https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afj124
- Parra EK, Stevens JA(2000). Fall prevention program for senior. 1st ed, Atlanta, National center for injury prevention and control.
- Horlings CG, Carpenter MG, Honegger F et al(2009). Vestibular and proprioceptive contibutions to human balance correction: aiding these with prosthetic feedback. Ann N Y Acad Sci, 1164, 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1749-6632.2009.03872.x
- Janda V(1998). The swiss ball theory, basic exercises and clinical application. New York, Springer.
- Madureira MM, Takayama L, Gallinaro AL et al(2007). Balance training program is highly effective in improving functional status and reducing the risk of falls in elderly women with osteoporosis: a randomized controlled trial. Osteoporos Int, 18(4), 419-425. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00198-006-0252-5
- Spiduso WW(2005). Physical dimensions of aging. 2nd ed, champaign, Human Kinetics.
- Podsiadlo D, Richardson S(1991). The timed 'Up and Go': a test of basic functional mobility for frail elderly persons. J Am Geriatr Soc, 39(2), 142-148. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.1991.tb01616.x
- Rose DJ(2003). Fall proof: a comprehensive balance and mobility training program. Champion, Human Kinetics.
- Sherrington C, Whitney JC, Lord SR et al(2008). Effective exercise for the prevention of falls: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Am Geriatr Soc, 56(12), 2234-2243. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2008.02014.x
- Shumway-Cook A, Anson D, Haller S(1988). Postural sway biofeedback: its effect on reestablishing stance stability in hemiplegic patients. Arch Phys Med Rehabil, 69(6), 395-400.
- Verheyden G, Vereeck L, Truijen S et al(2006). Trunk performance after stroke and the relationship with balance, gait functional ability. Clin Rehabil, 20(5), 451-458. https://doi.org/10.1191/0269215505cr955oa