- Volume 34 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Case Study of Middle School Science Teachers' Topic-Specific Pedagogical Content Knowledge on the Unit of Stars and Universe
별과 우주 단원에 대한 중학교 과학 교사의 주제-특이적 PCK 사례연구
- Received : 2014.05.26
- Accepted : 2014.06.23
- Published : 2014.06.30
Pedagogical Content Knowledge (PCK) is intrinsically domain/topic-specific knowledge for teachers' expertise. On the basis of this idea about PCK, we investigated in-service science teachers' topic-specific PCK on the unit of stars and universe in terms of teachers' knowledge and practices. We observed four middle school science teachers' classes for eighth graders, and took the videos of the classes. The topics of the classes covered constellation, annual parallax and the distance of stars, and the expansion of the universe. We also examined the teachers' pedagogical thinking through video stimulated recall interviews. In addition, we developed a protocol to analyze the levels of participant teachers' PCK and the characteristics revealed in their classes on each topic. Results of the study showed that the participant teachers' level of PCK varied across the topics of classes and the sub-components of PCK. We also identified teaching orientations played key roles in shaping overall characteristics of their PCK. Moreover, astronomical thinking such as spatial thinking and system thinking, was not appropriately embedded as the specific practices into the astronomical concepts in their instructions. We discussed the implications on the progressions of teachers' PCK in terms of their professional development.
pedagogical content knowledge;science teacher;astronomy education;teacher knowledge;practices
- Bang, E., & Paik, S. H. (2012). Analysis of middle school science teachers' orientations toward teaching science based instructional strategies. Journal of the Korean Chemical Society, 26(2), 274-289.
- Borko, H., & Putnam, R. T. (1996). Learning to Teach. In D. C. Berliner & R. C. Calfee (Eds.), Handbook of educational psychology (pp. 673-708). New York, NY: Simon & Schuster Macmillan.
- Bransford, J., Brown, A., & Cocking, R. (1999). How people learn: Brain, mind, experience, and school. Washington, DC: National Academy press.
- Calderhead, J. (1981). Stimulated recall: A method for research on teaching. British Journal of Educational Psychology, 51, 211-217. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8279.1981.tb02474.x
- Cowie, B., & Bell, B. (1999). A model of formative assessment in science education, Assessment in Education, 6(1), 101-116. https://doi.org/10.1177/107319119900600111
- Duschl, R., Maeng, S., & Sezen, A. (2011). Learning progressions and teaching sequences: A review and analysis. Studies in Science Education, 47(2), 123-182. https://doi.org/10.1080/03057267.2011.604476
- Grossman, P. L. (1990). The making of a teacher: Teacher knowledge and teacher education. New York, NY: Teachers College Press.
- Halim, L. (2009). Research on pedagogical content knowledge in Malaysia. In. O. De Jong & L., Halim (Eds.). Teachers' professional knowledge in science and mathematics education: Views from Malaysia and abroad (pp.35-51). Selangor: Faculty of Education, The National University of Malaysia.
- Jang, H. S., & Choi, B. S. (2010). A case study on the development of science teachers PCK through development of content representation (CoRe): Focusing on 'molecular motion' for 7th grade class. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 30(6), 870-885.
- Keeley, P. (2008). Science formative assessment: 75 practical strategies for linking assessment, instruction, and learning. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.
- Kim, C. J., Maeng, S. H., Cha, H. J., Park. Y. S., & Oh, P. S. (2006). A case study of the interaction between a novice science teacher and an experienced teacher: Priorities about science teaching and motivational ZPD. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 26(3), 425-439.
- Kim, K. S., Yoon, J. H., Park, J. A., & No, T. H. (2011). The components of pedagogical content knowledge considered by secondary science pre-service teachers in planning and implementing teaching demonstrations. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 31(1), 99-114.
- Ko, M. R., Nam, J. H., & Lim, J. H. (2009). Two case studies of the development of beginning science teachers' pedagogical content knowledge. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 29(1), 54-67.
- Kwak, S. W., & Choi, B. S. (2012). The level of secondary school science teachers' PCK on density and the characteristics of eight aspects of CoRe by the level of PCK. Journal of the Korean Chemical Society, 56(1), 128-135. https://doi.org/10.5012/jkcs.2012.56.1.128
- Kwak, Y. S. (2008). Research on characteristics of teacher professionalism by the type of science pedagogical content knowledge. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 28(6), 592-602.
- Kwak, Y. S. (2009). Research on the effects of subject matter knowledge (SMK) on pedagogical content knowledge (PCK) of secondary beginning science teachers in classroom teaching. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 29(6), 611-625.
- Lee, K. Y. (2009). An analysis of Earth science teachers' topic-specific pedagogical content knowledge: A case of pre-service and in-service teachers. Journal of the Korean Earth Science Society, 30(3), 330-343. https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2009.30.3.330
- Lee, K. Y. (2013). An analysis of the association between subject matter knowledge and pedagogical content knowledge for science teachers: The case of Earth science teachers' lesson on atmospheric pressure. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 33(6), 1219-1236. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2013.33.6.1219
- Lee, Y. M., & Hur, J. C. (2013). Characteristics of pre-service teachers' PCK in the activities of content representation of boiling point elevation. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 33(7), 1385-1402. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2013.33.7.1385
- Loughran, J., Berry, A., & Mulhall, P. (2006). Understanding and developing science teachers' pedagogical content knowledge. Rotterdam, The Netherlands: Sense Publishers.
- Loughran, J., Mulhall, P., & Berry, A. (2004). In search of pedagogical content knowledge in science: Developing ways of articulating and documenting professional practice. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 41, 370-391. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.20007
- Maeng, S. H., Seong, Y. S., & Jang, S. H. (2013). Present states, methodological features, and an exemplar study of the research on learning progressions. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 33(1), 161-180. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2013.33.1.161
- Magnusson, S., Krajcik, J. & Borko, H. (1999). Nature, sources, and development of PCK. In Gess-Newsome J. & Lederman N. G.(Eds.), Examining pedagogical content knowledge. Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 95-132.
- Marks, R. (1990). Pedagogical content knowledge: From a mathematical case to a modified conception. Journal of Teacher Education, 41(3), 3-11.
- Meade, P., & McMeniman, M. (1992). Stimulated recall: An effective methodology for examining successful teaching in science. Australian Educational Researcher, 19(3), 1-18.
- Min, H. J., Park, C. Y., & Baek, S. H. (2010). An analysis of beginning science teachers' pedagogical content knowledge through the teaching practice. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 30(4), 437-451.
- National Research Council (1996). National Science Education Standards. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.
- Nitko, A. J. (1995). Is the curriculum a reasonable basis for assessment reform? Educational Measurement: Issues and Practice, 14, 5-10.
- Oh, P. S., Lee, S. K., Lee, K. H., Kim, C. J., Kim, H. B., Jeon, C. H., & Oh, S. D. (2008). Methodological review of research literature on the expertise of science teachers. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 28(1), 47-66.
- Park, J., Park, Y-S., Kim, Y., Park, J., & Jeong, J-S. (2014). The development of the Korean teaching observation protocol (KTOP) for improving science teaching and learning. Journal of Baltic Science Education, 13(2), 259-275.
- Park, S., & Chen, Y-C. (2012). Mapping out the integration of the components of pedagogical content knowledge (PCK): Examples from high school biology classrooms. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 49(7), 922-941. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.21022
- Park, S., & Oliver, S. (2008). Revisiting the conceptualization of pedagogical content knowledge (PCK): PCK as a conceptual tool to understand teachers as professional. Research in Science Education, 38, 261-284. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11165-007-9049-6
- Piburn, M., Sawada, D., Turley, J., Falconer, K., Benford, R., Bloom, I., & Juddson, E. (2000). Reformed teaching observation protocol (RTOP) Reference manual. ACEPT Technical Report No. IN00-3. Phoenix, AZ: Arizona Board of Regents.
- Plummer, J. D. (2014). Spatial thinking as the dimension of progress in an astronomy learning progression. Studies in Science Education, 1-45. Advance online publication. DOI: 10.1080/03057267.2013.869039 https://doi.org/10.1080/03057267.2013.869039
- Shulman, L. S. (1986). Those who understand: Knowledge growth in teaching. Educational Researcher, 15(2), 4-14.
- Shulman, L. S. (1987). Knowledge and teaching: Foundations of the new reform. Harvard Educational Review, 57(1), 1-22. https://doi.org/10.17763/haer.57.1.j463w79r56455411
- So, K. H. (2003). Reconceptualization of teacher professionalism: Exploration of new directions. Curriculum Studies, 21(4), 77-96.
- Van Driel, J. H., Beijaard, D., & Verloop, N. (2001). Professional development and reform in science education: The role of teachers' practical knowledge. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 38, 137-158. https://doi.org/10.1002/1098-2736(200102)38:2<137::AID-TEA1001>3.0.CO;2-U
- Van Driel, J. H., Verloop, N., & De Vos, W. (1998). Developing science teachers' pedagogical content knowledge. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 35, 673-695. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-2736(199808)35:6<673::AID-TEA5>3.0.CO;2-J
- Wainwright, C. L., Flick, L. B., & Morrell, P. D. (2003). Development of instruments for assessment of instructional practices in standards-based teaching. Journal of Mathematics and Science: Collaborative Explorations, 6(1), 21-46.
- An Analysis of Systems Thinking Revealed in Middle School Astronomy Classes: The Case of Science Teachers’ Teaching Practices for the Unit of Stars and Universe vol.36, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2015.36.6.591
- Elementary Teachers’ Pedagogical Content Knowledge for Teaching Structure and Properties of Matter pp.1573-1847, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/1046560X.2018.1488486
Supported by : 한국연구재단