- Volume 25 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Influence of Health Literacy and Diabetes Knowledge on Diabetes Self-care Activities in Korean Low-income Elders with Diabetes
- Jeong, Jihye (Department of Nursing, College of Medicine, Inje University) ;
- Park, Namhee (Department of Nursing, College of Medicine, Inje University) ;
- Shin, So Young (Department of Nursing, College of Medicine, Inje University)
- Received : 2014.06.05
- Accepted : 2014.09.29
- Published : 2014.09.30
Purpose: This study aimed to assess the levels of and relationships among health literacy, knowledge about diabetes, and self-care activities in the Korean low-income elderly with diabetes and to identify factors influencing the self-care activities of this vulnerable population. Methods: This study surveyed a total of 151 low-income elderly patients with diabetes registered at 16 Visiting Health Care Services in B City, Korea. Health literacy was measured with the Newest Vital Sign. Diabetes knowledge was measured with the Diabetes Knowledge Test. The Summary of Diabetes Self-care Activities Questionnaire was used to assess diabetes self-care activities. A stepwise multiple regression analysis was conducted to identify significant factors influencing diabetes self-care activities in these patients. Results: In the regression model, diabetes knowledge (
- Korea Centers for Disease Control & Prevention. Korea health statistics 2011: The 5th Korea national health and nutrition examination survey. Policy Report. Seoul: Korea Centers for Disease Control & Prevention; 2012 December. Report No.: 11-1351159-000027-10.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. The 3rd national health promotion strategy 2011-2020 (HP2020). Policy Report. Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare; 2011 June. Report No.:11-1352000-000285-13.
- Kim HY, Yun WJ, Shin MH, Kweon SS, Ahn HR, Choi SW, et al. Management of diabetic mellitus in low-income rural patients. Korean Journal of Preventive Medicine and Public Health. 2009;42(2):315-322. http://dx.doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2009.42.5.315 https://doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2009.42.5.315
- American Diabetes Association. Statistics about diabetes [Internet]. Alexandria VA: American Diabetes Association. 2011 [cited 2012 February 18]. Available from: http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diabetes-statistics/?loc=DropDownDB-stats.
- American Diabetes Association. Standards of medical care in diabetes-2009. Diabetes Care. 2009;32(1):13-61. http://dx.doi.org/10.2337/dc09-S013
- Fitzgerald JT, Anderson RM, Funnell MM, Hiss RG, Hess GE, Barr PA, et al. The reliability and validity of a brief diabetes knowledge test. Diabetes Care. 1998;21(5):706-710. http://dx.doi.org/10.2337/diacare.21.5.706 https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.21.5.706
- Lee HJ, Park KY, Park HS, Kim IJ. The effect of problem solving nursing counseling and intensified walking exercise on diabetes self-care, coping strategies, and glycemic control among clients with DM type 2. Journal of Korean Academic Nursing. 2005;35(7):1314-1324. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2005.35.7.1314
- Fenwick EK, Xie J, Ress G, Finger RP, Lamoureux EL. Factors associated with knowledge of diabetes in patients with type 2 diabetes using the diabetes knowledge test validated with rasch analysis. Public Library of Science. 2013;8(12):1-12. http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0080593
- Bains SS, Eqede LE. Associations between health literacy, diabetes knowledge, self-care behaviors and glycemic control in a low income population with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Technology & Therapeutics. 2001;13(3):335-341. http://dx.doi.org/10.1089/dia.2010.0160
- Chi-Lum B. Friend or Foe? Consumers using the internet for medical information. The Journal of Medical Practice Management. 1999;14(4):196-198.
- Benzel Lindley JA. Exploration of factors impacting the self-care of elders with diabetes. [dissertation]. [Arizona]: Arizona University; 2005. 237 p.
- Schillinger D, Grumbach K, Piette J, Wang F, Osmond D, Daher C, et al. Association of health literacy with diabetes outcomes. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2002;288(4):475-482. http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/jama.288.4.475 https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.288.4.475
- Kim SH, Lee EJ. The influence of functional literacy on perceived health status in Korean older adults. Journal of Korean Academic Nursing. 2008;38(2):195-203. http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.2.195 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.2.195
- Kim JE. Measuring the level of health literacy and influence factors: Targeting the visitors of a university hospital's outpatient clinic. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research. 2011;17(1):27-34.
- Lee TW, Kang SJ. Health literacy in the Korean elderly and influencing factors. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society. 2008;28(4):847-863.
- Weiss BD, Mays MZ, Martz W, Castro KM, DeWalt DA, Pignone MP, et al. Quick assessment of literacy in primary care: The Newest Vital sign. Annals of Family Medicine. 2005;3(6):514-522. http://dx.doi.org/10.1370/afm.405 https://doi.org/10.1370/afm.405
- Choi EJ. Factors related to glycemic control in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. [Dissertation]. [Seoul]: Yonsei University; 2007. 131 p.
- Toobert DJ, Glasgow RE. Assessing diabetes self-management: The summary of diabetes self-care activities questionnaire. In: Bradley C, editor. Handbook of psychology and diabetes. Switzerland: Harwood Academic; 1994. p. 351-375.
- Toobert DJ, Hampson SE, Glasgow RE. The summary of diabetes self-care activities measure: Results from 7 studies and a revised scale. Diabetes Care. 2000;23(7):943-950. http://dx.doi.org/10.2337/diacare.23.7.943 https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.23.7.943
- Chang SJ, Song MS. The validity and reliability of a Korean version of the summary of diabetes self-care activities questionnaire for older patients with type 2 diabetes. Journal of Korean Adult Nursing. 2009;21(2):235-244.
- Park JY, Lee TY, Jang KS, Oh HY. A study on blood glucose level and self management among community dwelling type II diabetes patients. Journal of Korean Adult Nursing. 2010;22(3):271-280.
- Park MY, Kim KH. The study related to perceived stress, stress coping method, self-care behavior and hemoglobin A1c of elderly diabetic mellitus patients. Journal of Korean Academy Fundamental Nursing. 2008;15(2):186-194.
- Park JY. A study on self management, hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c), and perceived health status for the type II diabetes patients. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science. 2010;12(2):106-113.
- McCleary JV. Health literacy and its association with diabetes knowledge, self-efficacy and disease self-management among African Americans with diabetes mellitus. Association of Black Nursing Faculty Journal. 2011;22(2):25-32.
- Yang NY. Knowledge, self efficacy and self care behavior regarding foot care among elderly diabetes mellitus patients. Journal of Korean Adult Nursing. 2009;21(4):413-422.
- Zhang HL, Kim HL. Compliance and barriers to self-care behaviors in patients with type 2 diabetes. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research. 2010;16(1):155-166.
- Mun YH. The effects of an exercise program on the physical, physiological and emotional status of the aged. Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing. 2006;17(4):451-460.
- Yoo JH. A study on the relationship of self-care behavioral compliance and perceived self-efficacy in type II diabetic patient. Journal of Korean Academy Fundamental Nursing. 2000;7(3):453-465.
- Karter AJ, Subramanian U, Saha C, Crosson JC, Parker MM, Swain BE, et al. Barriers to insulin initiation: The translating research into action for diabetes insulin starts project. Diabetes Care. 2010;33(4):733-735. http://dx.doi.org/10.2337/dc09-1184 https://doi.org/10.2337/dc09-1184
- Mbaezue N, Mayberry R, Gazmararian J, Quarshie A, Ivonye C, Heisler M. The impact of health literacy on self-monitoring of blood glucose in patients with diabetes receiving care in an inner-city hospital. Journal of the National Medical Association. 2010;102(1):5-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0027-9684(15)30469-7